P-51H Mustang

• 2 weeks later...

How's it going with the build Tom?

I just picked one of these up also.

Great choice. The kit requires a bit of work but you should have fun. Just watch out for the windscreen on the canopy. Mine didn't fit too good to the fuselage, the contour is different and when I pressed mine down to get it to fit it cracked.

I've been a bit busy at work but making slow and steady progress. The decals are all on as you can see by the pictures below. I have to thank Bigasshammm for telling me about Alclad Aqua Gloss. I really like that stuff too. It is self leveling and you can't beat the gloss finish. Not a hint of silvering on the decals. BTW, I did have some issues with the decals curling under on me but that could just be me. I didn't have any tearing or anything so that was really good.

Anyhow, here you go. In the home stretch now. :-)

Tom

photo1_zps15d6160b.jpg

photo2_zps47b4050f.jpg

photo3_zps60fe6f98.jpg

photo4_zpsc07fec95.jpg

Edited by Tom G

Looks real good. Did you have any problem with the gloss he first time you used it? I found it hard to tell if it was on properly and ended up over or under spraying. After a couple times I got used to it though.

Will you be bringing this one in may?

Looks real good. Did you have any problem with the gloss he first time you used it? I found it hard to tell if it was on properly and ended up over or under spraying. After a couple times I got used to it though.

Will you be bringing this one in may?

Hi Kris,

Thanks, glad you like it.

It did take a few attempts. For me it is hard to tell if a clear coat is going on properly unless I am looking on an angle to see the sheen. I was really impressed with the coverage of this stuff and it dried pretty quickly and was a hard finish.

I will probably be out of town for the May club meeting but will check with you once I know for sure.

Tom

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's done. I planned to have it shinier with just a wash in the panel lines but I left the acrylic wash on too long (overnight) and couldn't get it off. I tried diluted alcohol and diluted Tamiya thinner but they wouldn't touch it so I sanded as best I could with 8,000 grit sand.paper. I did have fun with the build and I like the subject very much. I just turned out more dirty than I had hoped for.

Tom

IMG_0452_zps49222a2e.jpg

IMG_0453_zpsc4601379.jpg

IMG_0454_zpscf43fadb.jpg

IMG_0455_zps23be80d2.jpg

IMG_0457_zps59b7ba20.jpg

Tom,

Unfortunate that you didn't achieve the desired results with the wash but she turned out very nicely, all the same.

Good job.

Mike