1/48 Northrop P-61A Blackwidow

Hello!

Here are some photos of a model i built for Airfix Model World.

It is published in this month Magazine (March 2014).

It is the Great Wall Hobbies kit, with the adition of True details engine and magneto covers, engine cowls and props.

Painted with Tamiya acrilics.

Here are some photos.

If you get curious, the detailed proces is here on my blog: http://josepiresmodelismo.blogspot.pt/

Hope you like it!

José Pedro

101_zpsf7cf1c77.jpg

13_zps3f54aaf0.jpg

7_zpsc009a4d3.jpg

8_zps00c218ae.jpg

6-2_zpsca98f239.jpg

27_zpsd56143aa.jpg

28_zps8267de30.jpg

DSC05977_zpsf4236dfe.jpg

DSC05974_zps7c2d09aa.jpg

30-2_zps3a75dbce.jpg

Jose, Nicely done. It's a rather complex kit, as I just finished one myself. I can see that you also had issues with the front windscreen. How they could get so much right, and get that so wrong is beyond me. Your paint scheme and weathering are really quite nice.

Joel

Jose, Nicely done. It's a rather complex kit, as I just finished one myself. I can see that you also had issues with the front windscreen. How they could get so much right, and get that so wrong is beyond me. Your paint scheme and weathering are really quite nice.

Joel

GWH also got the nose gear wrong too. Too short and at the wrong angle. SAC(Scale Aircraft Conversions) has a corrected replacement gear set for this kit.

Cheers, Terry

(Certifiable P-61 NUT!!)

Nice job on the build, though.

Hello Joel and Terry!

Thanks for your comments! They are very appreciated and respected.

In fact, i had a lot of trouble with the front windshield. But with some insistence, it became acceptable.

My best regards!

José Pedro

Beautiful build! Paint and weathering are great, I like the aftermarket engines, especially with the exhaust ports being visible.

For future reference, fire extinguishers were not red during WWII, they were brass in color.

GWH also got the nose gear wrong too. Too short and at the wrong angle. SAC(Scale Aircraft Conversions) has a corrected replacement gear set for this kit.

Cheers, Terry

(Certifiable P-61 NUT!!)

Nice job on the build, though.

Terry,

There is a review from a few months back on IPMS that I think I remember seeing that the SAC gear is the kit gear poured into the mold-even had the injection marks. Is that true?

-Jim

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice!

I always wondered what was the job of the guy in the second seat in the version if the p-61 without the turret?

His job was to be a second set of eyes. One of the two 9th AF night fighter units, moved the RO's station forward to the gunners station. This was done by the individual ground crews so equipment placement varied from aircraft to aircraft. On these birds, the aft RO's station was gutted and left that way. I've never seen a photo of these changes so, anyone doing this mod is on your own- - -who's to say you're wrong.

Cheers, Terry

(certifiable P-61 NUT!!)

PS: About the SAC nose gear, I modified a kit nose gear to the proper length and sent that to SAC to use as a master.