1/35 M109A5 - which kit to start with?

No, you can not use the M109A6 Paladin kit. The Paladin has a totally new and differently shaped turret than the A5. Your best bet is to get the AFV Club M109A3 kit. An AM A5 barrel is not really necessary as the A3 barrel looks pretty much the same. Most of the A5 differences were internal.

You can read up more on the M109 types at FAS.

M109A5

M109A5_in_repair.JPG

M109A6 Paladin (Notice the new turret design)

m109a6_paladin.jpg

No, you can not use the M109A6 Paladin kit. The Paladin has a totally new and differently shaped turret than the A5. Your best bet is to get the AFV Club M109A3 kit. An AM A5 barrel is not really necessary as the A3 barrel looks pretty much the same. Most of the A5 differences were internal.

You can read up more on the M109 types at FAS.

Thanks for that info. Glad I didn't order the M109A6 Paladin kit last night. :o/>

I am confused now. I just did a search, and I can only find AFV Club doing an M109A2 and an M109A6, with Kinetic also doing an M109A2. I don't see an M109A3 kit by anybody. :unsure:/>

Larry

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/19/2014 at 4:23 PM, Spectre711 said:

Larry,

Did you ever get going on this one? Just curious as to how it turned out.

Bet you never thought you'd hear back from me?

My build rate is VERY slow, plus I change projects all the time. The Thai M109 is on hold, while I finish up a presentation build of a 1/72 C-130H for an AF Reserve Flight Engineer.

That being said, the M109 is pretty far along, but the kit didn't fit too well. It needed a lot of putty on both the body and the turret, both of which are mostly complete.

Siam Scale says they make a set of decals for the Thai M109, but they don't have the lettering for the M109s I have pictures of. I may have to try to cobble something together from the other Siam Scale 1/35 sheets I have.

Larry

9 hours ago, ReccePhreak said:

That being said, the M109 is pretty far along, but the kit didn't fit too well. It needed a lot of putty on both the body and the turret, both of which are mostly complete.

Larry, that is why I recommended the AFV Club M109A2 as opposed to the Italeri version.  The AFV Club kit is much better detailed and goes together great.  Good luck with it.

6 minutes ago, HeavyArty said:

Larry, that is why I recommended the AFV Club M109A2 as opposed to the Italeri version.  The AFV Club kit is much better detailed and goes together great.  Good luck with it.

I know, but I have been out of work since December 2013 on Long Term Disability, so my modelling "budget" is very limited. I just have to make do with what I can afford, or trade for.

Larry

• 4 years later...
On 11/13/2016 at 7:26 AM, HeavyArty said:

This shows how SLOW I am at building models. The Italeri M109A2 was almost finished, when I managed a good deal on a Kinetic M109A2. 

It's coming along pretty good, especially since I glued in bracing strips inside the body, to secure the top "deck". Still have a bit more detailing to do on the body and the turret. I am not looking forward to building the tracks, with ALL those tiny links. :jaw-dropping:

This is the video that got me interested in doing the Thai M109: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t26XJIt5LWk

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
More info