Oki, no rest for the wicked!

Next in the pipe is the Kitty Hawk representation of the Gripen.....this looks like a handful :P

It comes in a small flimsy box that actually feels a bit icky if you ask me.....however it´s full of parts!

IMG_0868_zpsd8723798.jpg

There´s lots of parts and it seems like they´re planning on a twin seater as well considering the break up of the fuselage.

The parts look quite crisp and nicely molded but there are a feeeeeew issues here.

You only get one sprue with Gripen specific weapons...You´d never see a Gripen with a load out of a one RB15 and one BK90...

way too different missions. ANyhow we don´t have the BK90 anymore...nor the Mavericks...nor Taurus..nor much of anything else

that might shift some mud and make life unconfortable on the ground. Yeah we have a few GBU-12s but that´s pretty much it

these days

So by other words you can take those two sprues with frenchy stuff and use for your Jags or Mirages instead....

IMG_0875_zps41269b18.jpg

IMG_0876_zps0d76cb7a.jpg

IMG_0877_zpsc0f41f56.jpg

IMG_0878_zps3dd332b1.jpg

Yup..these two sprues, nuttin useful if you`re doing a swedish Gripen :P

IMG_0879_zpsdc06470d.jpg

Seems I´ll be doing a wee bit of griping here...

The Box says you can do either an "A" or a "C" Gripen out of the box b ut I´m afraid that´s a difficult to do any of them

(if you´re going for the Swedish option)

The airframe is a "C".....and the decals are for an "A".... Seriously KH? You couldn´t have done just that wee bit more research

and give us a great Gripen kit instead of a good one *mumbles*

And what about gasbags and a Litening pod? Not to mention the obmission of the scissorlinks on the MLGs?! How could you miss that?

This kit costs serious money....but you ain´t gonna get away with that if you want to build a correct Gripen "C"

Oh well, what does my opinion matter......

More in part 2

Part 2

Well, I had to spend some money on extras to get this show on the road :/

Decals from Two Bob.....correct ones!

IMG_0874_zpscc4db20d.jpg

A turned pitot tube from Master, NATO pylons (no BOL extentions tho), cockpit set, exterior set and a wheel bay set all from CMK.

IMG_0873_zpsd657b896.jpg

Two gasbags and a SPK39 recce pod from Maestro.

IMG_0870_zps53fb66ec.jpg

Exhaust from Aires and a couple of IRIS-T from Maestro.

IMG_0869_zps748ee1d6.jpg

Armed with all that extra I set out cleaning the parts and impaling them as usual.

All ready for primer!

IMG_0882_zps9ed114d6.jpg

There...enough griping for today, you´re welcome to follow my griping Gripen build :D

Cheers!

You only get one sprue with Gripen specific weapons...You´d never see a Gripen with a load out of a one RB15 and one BK90...

IMG_0878_zps3dd332b1.jpg

The airframe is a "C".....and the decals are for an "A".... Seriously KH? You couldn´t have done just that wee bit more research

and give us a great Gripen kit instead of a good one *mumbles*

Another Mr. Songed kit, well at least not as badly as the Mig-25 tongue.gif

Does that single sprue come with the correct number of pylons?

Edited by Inquisitor

Another Mr. Songed kit, well at least not as badly as the Mig-25 tongue.gif

Does that single sprue come with the correct number of pylons?

Actually it's two sets of pylons, NATO pylons and good ole swedish pylons.....one of the better points of the kit surprisingly enough.

Thanx Janne for the very good in box look. I'll probably shell out the dough for one when the funds become available, however good or bad; I just like the aircraft..but then I've met very few aircraft that I didn't like. As for the quality of the product..as my ancestors used to remind me often that one beats none. I'd rather have this one, than be asking if anyone is going to do one. I'm sure the AM folks will be shortly offering the corrections needed. As with others I'll be sitting in the seats with :popcorn: and sodas at the ready....I'll ask one favor...don't keep me hangin' on waiting for updates :D . Even the most prized kits leave some looking for more and better. Tamiya and Hasegawa kits aren't all some folks want and have AM kits done for them. KH is fairly new let's give'em some slack, they may just be the next Tamigawa

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Thanx Janne for the very good in box look. I'll probably shell out the dough for one when the funds become available, however good or bad; I just like the aircraft..but then I've met very few aircraft that I didn't like. As for the quality of the product..as my ancestors used to remind me often that one beat none. I'd rather have this one, than be asking if anyone is going to do one. I'm sure the AM folks will be shortly offering the corrections needed. As with others I'll be sitting in the seats with :popcorn:/> and sodas at the ready....I'll ask one favor...don't keep me hangin' on waiting for updates :D/> . Even the most prized kits leave some looking for more and better. Tamiya and Hasegawa kits aren't all some folks want and have AM kits done for them. KH is fairly new let's give'em some slack, they may just be the next Tamigawa

Oh don't get me wrong....it's a very good kit but could have been excellent if they'd just asked one question to someone who knew something about the Gripen.

It's the A decals for the C frame that annoys me most....that's just pure sloppiness, you just want to be able to build one oob but at least you have to get decals for it!

following with interest!

Great :) pick a seat...

I was hoping getting on with the cockpit today but I'm having a few issues with the CMK cockpit set... well it seems it ain't correct :P So I've put my contact in the SwAF on getting me some refs.

Hiya´ll

I´ve got more griping I mean another update for you :D

Thought I´d get aquainted with the CMK cockpit set...

First I started making room for it...nutting fancy, just me and my Dremel removed some rear bulkheads and locator pins inside the Kitty kit.

IMG_0883_zps9883fcfc.jpg

Looking at the wheel well and the cockpit I noticed I had to get rid of some resin to make room for the nose wheel well...

IMG_0884_zps29b0d7f8.jpg

A quick dry fit to see that everything fits as it should....

IMG_0885_zps4e2663a4.jpg

IMG_0886_zps802a3b57.jpg

Right then on to the cockpit itself....well That doesn´t look right...

I compare the pit to the one Ive got in my CMK best choice multimedia kit and notice it´s the same stuff just about. Well nothing odd there

really since that should be resin for a "C". Looking at my refs I can tell that the CMK pit is for an "A" and has little in common with the "C"

pit...

Looks like I´ll be taking one for the team here....don´t by the CMK cockpit it you want to build a "C", wait for the outstanding Aires pit instead!!!

Anyways, this is what I got....and it´s going to be reworked....not looking all that detailed either if you ask me :P

IMG_0887_zpse826999f.jpg

The make over is in part 2...yup a two part update today, I´m spoiling you silly aren´t I?

Part 2

The makeover!

I started with stripping the pit...the two boxes are wrong...too big and and in the wrong places....so I sawed them off!

IMG_0888_zps492981a5.jpg

Then I sanded the deck smooth from cables and junk...

IMG_0889_zps655e1c6a.jpg

I went on to add some cables and tubing to the rear bulkhead....

IMG_0890_zps72f4732d.jpg

Then I added the boxes, somewhar redesigned....

IMG_0892_zps139d2462.jpg

I built rails on the deck for the boxes out of plasticard and added new details to the boxes.

IMG_0893_zps125a3454.jpg

And finally I added the canopy opening actuator arm..

IMG_0895_zpsb82b8e44.jpg

There...the cockpit set was a complete waste of money! For my next Gripen I´ll use good old Aires stuff!

Cheers!