Just some fiddling today...

Fitted in the little belly plate...took some doing to amke it fit decently...still doesn´t look 100%

IMG_0941_zps62434057.jpg

Cheers!

Is that another mammoth Kitty Hawk gap behind the wheelwell blink.gif ?!

Your wheelwell work looks great, BTW 70.gif !

you are showing great skills and patience, I was hoping it was a much much better kit :unsure:/>

LOL maybe it´s the other way around....bad skill and a good model?

Is that another mammoth Kitty Hawk gap behind the wheelwell blink.gif ?!

Your wheelwell work looks great, BTW 70.gif !

Thanx Check six :D

And it goes on.....

I´m not sure I can take cradit of this gap....what the heck Erik, you didn´t have this much probs with your build?! Sheesh I must be a crappy builder :P

IMG_0943_zpsef776e7e.jpg

Well these gaps are definitely my fault for not sanding down the wheel bays enough...

IMG_0944_zpsc0301a2f.jpg

The dreaded moment is getting closer...time to deal with all those female dogging gaps!

Cheers

Well then, time to grab the bull by it´s cojones and get on with the filling.....

first some plasticard in the obvious gaps...

IMG_0945_zps7934b97e.jpg

Drawn sprue was better to fill with than plasticard!

IMG_0947_zps9358296e.jpg

IMG_0948_zpsa62ce614.jpg

Then some masking in perparation for the putty...

IMG_0950_zps21c48a40.jpg

IMG_0951_zps3002ddbc.jpg

Then splashing on the tamyia white putty thickly...

IMG_0953_zps025acae8.jpg

IMG_0954_zpsb6f666b8.jpg

Puttied!

IMG_0955_zps86743a0c.jpg

IMG_0956_zps7362ac09.jpg

The next step will be the awesome sanding! ...geeeeesh!

Cheers!

Edited by Aigore

A quality kit right there...

But nice fighting, you will win i am sure. :thumbsup:/>/>

Thanx Berkut :)/>

I believe one culprit might be that the rear fuselage halfs are not connected to a sprue, they are lying free in a bag... my bet is that they packed the parts while they still were warm...and when they stacked the boxes the parts cooled unevenly and caused warping and size difference.

I checked another box and the fit was much better in that model.

The person responsible for quality control and research in KH should not get any Christmas bonus ....

Edited by Aigore

Thanx Berkut :)/>/>

I believe one culprit might be that the rear fuselage halfs are not connected to a sprue, they are lying free in a bag... my bet is that they packed the parts while they still were warm...and when they stacked the boxes the parts cooled unevenly and caused warping and size difference.

I checked another box and the fit was much better in that model.

The person responsible for quality control and research in KH should not get any Christmas bonus ....

Hi Aigore,

Same experience with the KH MiG-25 kit. Apart from packing and QC problems it is also a question of design, on the Foxbat the walls are far to thin in comparison to the size of the parts, and this is also responsible for the warp.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Aigore,

Same experience with the KH MiG-25 kit. Apart from packing and QC problems it is also a question of design, on the Foxbat the walls are far to thin in comparison to the size of the parts, and this is also responsible for the warp.

Best regards

Gabor

Hmmm.

I wonder if this is a reoccurring production 'flaw' on Kitty Hawk models hmmm.gif?

If I understand you correctly, it sounds similar to the Academy 1/35th scale MH-60DAP helo.

The kit is large and the fuselage halves were very thin making putting it together a rather flimsy ordeal.

Great work on the gripen, how does it compare to the Italeri offering? I never buy CMK stuff anymore it's overpriced junk.

Thanx Harrier/Viper Fan :D

Well just talking fit wise the Italeri is better, details are better on the KH and over all shape is more correct........ The fun part is that the Italeri is an A-model with C decals and the KH is a C-model with A decals :P (if you´re going for a Swedish Gripen)

Oki not much to see....been sanding a bit :P

IMG_0957_zps91376f47.jpg

IMG_0958_zps5bc4490f.jpg

Trouble areas are the forward wingroots..... gonna need some more putty I think.

IMG_0959_zpse24a021f.jpg

IMG_0960_zps9aea4d3f.jpg

Darn those fine panellines......think I´l have to rescribe the whole thing!

Cheers!

Gaaaah... on to something different!

Da Mauser!

Well out of the box it looks a tad simple....So I cut off the muzzle!

IMG_0963_zps669916fa.jpg

Took a bit of 1mm plastic rod and drilled a 0.8mm hole in one end...

IMG_0964_zps1b29c0d5.jpg

And drilled a 1mm hole in the gun pod....

IMG_0968_zps860df571.jpg

And I´m not kidding you, I cut off a bit of the end of the rod and glued it into the hole in the pod! :P

IMG_0969_zps2124fd12.jpg

Finally I cut the new muzzle at an angle and there it is..a new drilled out muzzle for the Mauser! :D

IMG_0971_zps4090bc8c.jpg

LoL, I´m extatic......and the crowd goes Woooohooo!

Yeah I know it aint much but it´s progress and that´s what counts .....sick of sanding right now.

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

Hello,

It's really nice to read this topic on this great mounting. So it's a bit sad that it was put on stand-by in favor of a F-111 :soapbox: ;).

The F-111 is not my favorite airplane but the details of the build are really awesome.

In fact I have exactly the same project as you about the Gripen : building a Libya mission Gripen. But impossible to find the same decals.

Does anyone know an online store where I can find "two bobs Rippen Gripen 48-118" in stock ? Otherwise I could buy you the unused decals when you will finished your Gripen ? Feel free to contact me...

Obviously, eight gripens took part in NATO operations over Libya from the Sigonella airbase and according to this picture, this is the 227, 247, 249, 261, 262, 263, 269 and 270. But I am not sure that this picture was taken during the operation although this picture takes place in an article about it.

1876098_1200_675.jpg?preset=article

I think to know that the mission had two periods, first 8 Gripens and then 5. But I don't know which ones were the 5 ?

If someone could tell more about gripens of the operation it would be very interesting.

PS : sorry for my english it's not my mother tongue.

Edited by micka2000

Hello,

It's really nice to read this topic on this great mounting. So it's a bit sad that it was put on stand-by in favor of a F-111 :soapbox:/> ;)/>.

The F-111 is not my favorite airplane but the details of the build are really awesome.

In fact I have exactly the same project as you about the Gripen : building a Libya mission Gripen. But impossible to find the same decals.

Does anyone know an online store where I can find "two bobs Rippen Gripen 48-118" in stock ? Otherwise I could buy you the unused decals when you will finished your Gripen ? Feel free to contact me...

Obviously, eight gripens took part in NATO operations over Libya from the Sigonella airbase and according to this picture, this is the 227, 247, 249, 261, 262, 263, 269 and 270. But I am not sure that this picture was taken during the operation although this picture takes place in an article about it.

1876098_1200_675.jpg?preset=article

I think to know that the mission had two periods, first 8 Gripens and then 5. But I don't know which ones were the 5 ?

If someone could tell more about gripens of the operation it would be very interesting.

PS : sorry for my english it's not my mother tongue.

Hiya Micka and thanx :D

actually there was quite a few Gripens in the Libya mission since the aircraft was rotated to Sigonella to give experience to ad nsny pilots as possible. I don't know the exact number of machines involved but it's at least numbers in the 20's.

you actually only need the numbers since the stencils in the kitty kit are alright...all "C" have tripple digits starting with 2

Hiya Micka and thanx :D/>

actually there was quite a few Gripens in the Libya mission since the aircraft was rotated to Sigonella to give experience to ad nsny pilots as possible. I don't know the exact number of machines involved but it's at least numbers in the 20's.

you actually only need the numbers since the stencils in the kitty kit are alright...all "C" have tripple digits starting with 2

Hi

I,m also currently building a Libya Gripen and according to Emil Lindberg (who is the know it all regarding gripens) the following A/C toke part in the operation. And as Janne says, all markings except tail number and s/n are identical.

original 8 was

39227, 39247, 39249, 39261, 39262, 39263, 39269, 39270

For different reasons a/c had to be replaced

39282 replaced 39227.

39256 replaced 39270.

39274 and 39276 replaced 39256 and 39263.

39256 and 39279 replaced 39261 and 39269.

So in the end of June the 8 JAS 39-individuals on Sigonella was:

39247, 39249, 39256, 39262, 39274, 39276, 39279 and 39282.

In the end of FL 01:s period 39247, 39249 and 39276 was sent back to Sweden, but 39248 and 39263 was sent down.

In the beginning/middle of July the following was stationed on the Sigonella base:

39248, 39256, 39262, 39263, 39274, 39279 and 39282.