Falcon20driver,

Basic paint looks really smooth and consistent. From what I can see, your pre-shading came through just fine. Personally, I prefer to use a dark gray pin wash for panel lines. I've been trying to get the wash just a few shades darker then the base color. Then, using post -shading for panel fading and weathering. You will still need to use a pin wash to have the panel lines cross over decals.

Joel

recessedpanelpinwash.jpg

Edited by Joel_W
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks Joel! This plane was freshly painted in this scheme and from what another member said it was well taken care of, so I'm trying to keep the paint relatively neat.

I've mostly finished painting and have started initial decaling. I just had to get some of the tail insignia on because it looks so cool! These Fightertown decals are fantastic.

I'm really happy with my panel lines. Not to much and not to little.

20140620_121703_zps4ce9f01f.jpg

Wheel wells came out nice too.

20140620_140945_zps3fe84c53.jpg

And a look at the initial dedals on the tail. I love this scheme.

20140620_121853_zps0124addc.jpg

Edited by falcon20driver

FWIW, this scheme now is worn by an FA-18B, side number 323. I don't know the BuNo offhand but SD323 is on one of the sheets done by either Fightertown or Afterburner and I'm pretty sure it's the same jet, just with the markings redone. The MODEX is in color like 123, as well as the other markings that 123 has in color.

FWIW, this scheme now is worn by an FA-18B, side number 323. I don't know the BuNo offhand but SD323 is on one of the sheets done by either Fightertown or Afterburner and I'm pretty sure it's the same jet, just with the markings redone. The MODEX is in color like 123, as well as the other markings that 123 has in color.

Interesting, I hadn't seen that. I believe this jet wore this scheme in 2007?

Edited by falcon20driver

Interesting, I hadn't seen that. I believe this jet wore this scheme in 2007?

07 sounds about right. I think they moved the color bird to the B model, because the family model Super Hornets tend to cycle through the squadron fairly quickly. There are a couple that are more-or-less permanent (being instrumented test assets) but others are there, used for a while, then sent off to the fleet. This was one of the latter. Making the color bird a B model meant that they wouldn't lose it quickly and have to re-do it as often - pretty much no one else is using the Bravos except for a couple with the Blue Angels, so it's not likely to be going anywhere anytime soon.