Eduard kits?

Could anyone give me some feedback on Eduard kits? I'd like opinions from anyone who's biult one. They look pretty nice on the computer monitor but I haven't seen one in person. I saw a 1/48 Spitfire IX which was interesting, came with PE, masks and a bunch of decal options.

Thanks

I think it depends on the kit, I think the Spit is a good one, I've only heard complaints about the Fw-190D from a few friends and online modelers.

I've built the Fokker DVII and it's a great kit.

Curt

I've built a few Eduard kits, a 1/48 108B, a 1/48 190A-6, 2 1/72 110's and what they all have in common IMO is that the kits have great detail but are rather fiddly to construct, a bit overengineerd. So you need to take your time with construction or you will have fit issues later on.

I also have 2 of their Spitfires, not built just drooled over, and they seem to be the same as the other Eduard kits.

David.

The newer 'own-tooled' kits (MiG-21; Bf 110; Fw 190) are very nicely done but maybe over-engineered and sometimes inaccurate in silly ways. Other offerings are pimped versions of old Academy, Heller and Mauve moulds (Mirage series, etc.) with some multi-media additions.

With each release they have just got better and better. One of my favourite manufacturers now. Yes, perhaps a bit over-engineered, but the choices are great, with the variety of editions (weekend, profipack, etc) giving a wide choice of options to suit different tastes and budgets. My particular 1:48 favourites: the Avia B.534s (clearly a labour of love for them); the P-39 series (I've built 2 and have 4 more to do); the MiG-21 series; and the Spitfires. Eagerly awaiting the promised PR XI.

I built their 1/72 F6F Hellcat last year, and it was an absolute gem. Great detail, crisp moldings, and the fit was so precise I didn't bother to glue the wing and tailplanes on..just snapped them into place.

I've got a couple of the 1/72 Bf-110s. They also look spectacular on the sprues, and by all accounts go together very well (I've heard the fit of Eduard's 1/48 110s is a bit difficult in spots, especially around the nacelles, but all the reviews I've read say the 1/72 kits don't share those issues.)

SN

It really depends on the age, the most recent kits are great (I.e. Hellcat,Spit,MiG-21,MiG-15), detail is amazing and the fit is good. Some of their older kits (Fw-190,Me-109) have great detail but some fit issues. They really are a good worth for money if you ask me.

Kind regards, Sven.

Spitfire Mk. IX is brand new, last year released kit. All kits are too available in weekend edition (with one marking, without P.E. and masks). Now is in prepare a new Bf 109G family. I like their Hellcats (in both scales) and in stack have 1/72 Bf 110 "family". Eduard have accurate parts for each version (Spitfires have "C" and "E" wing and "C" with large or small bulges, Hellcat have too "early and late wing", fuselage or engine hood). Spitfire is too sold as Royal class with parts for whole Mk. IX family (three types of wing) and 16 camouflages markings. And soon may be released a Spitfire Mk. VIII (Australian Air force limited edition.). I mean Eduard's Spitfire Mk IX is probably best Spitfire in 1/48.

Their recent Spitfire Mk IXs are awesome and nearly flawless, minus 0.5 mm too narrow cockpits and the slightly off wheel well shape.

I used to think their I-16s were great, but then found out their cockpit is 2 mm too far forward or back (can't remember which)... Pretty bad on such a short length...

Their WWII kits are also not that great, their FW-190As being by far the worst out there in accuracy, with 20% too wide windscreens like the Tamiyas... The 190A cowls are cylindrical like the current new-built Fluegwerke 1:1 kits, something no other 190 kit ever got wrong... Their Me-108s, which I used to think were good, are also awful, with no canopy cross-section bulge, awful cowling cheek bulges, and a completely wrong fin chord...

Their 1/48th Hellcat has a plan view fuselage taper from the engine firewall back, instead of the taper starting from behind the main trailing edge, as it should... No paralell lines in the kit fuselage... This was fixed on their 1/72 scale kit...

Their Me-110Gs were fair kits, much superior to the Revell/Pro-modeller, but difficult to assemble. Rear fuselage cross-section was "rounded-corner squarish" in reality, and Eduard went for a true oval... I find that not prohibitively poor depending on how you look at it... They are poor-fitting at the nacelles and fiddly.

Their Mig-21s are excellent, and are among the "new" Eduard's superior quality we can now expect.

Robertson

Edited by Robertson

The Eduard 1/48 ME-109 Emil family it's great. No fit problems, normally great selection of decals, and beautiful surface detail. I can say the same about their Spitfire. I found some problems in their Fw-190 and BF-110, some fit issues, but again the kits have beautiful surface detail and decals.

For me, their new kits are on the same level as Tamiya.

I've built their 'weekend edition' Bf110G in 48th scale only. It's a product several years ago,so maybe not match today's quality.

Panel lines are OK,overall rivets are precise,but you lave to rescribe some after sanding. Fit is not bad, except nacelles. A wide variety of ordance provided.

Comparing to DML's Bf110D/E,it lacks some detail,e.g.the MG FF under cockpit floor,the 900L extra tank(the pylons and tank have a strange attach method,not good for sanding)

Also no locating pins on fuselage.In fact,I bought this only because the belly-mounted 37mm gun...

Their recent Spitfire Mk IXs are awesome and nearly flawless, minus 0.5 mm too narrow cockpits and the slightly off wheel well shape.

I used to think their I-16s were great, but then found out their cockpit is 2 mm too far forward or back (can't remember which)... Pretty bad on such a short length...

Their WWII kits are also not that great, their FW-190As being by far the worst out there in accuracy, with 20% too wide windscreens like the Tamiyas... The 190A cowls are cylindrical like the current new-built Fluegwerke 1:1 kits, something no other 190 kit ever got wrong... Their Me-108s, which I used to think were good, are also awful, with no canopy cross-section bulge, awful cowling cheek bulges, and a completely wrong fin chord...

Their 1/48th Hellcat has a plan view fuselage taper from the engine firewall back, instead of the taper starting from behind the main trailing edge, as it should... No paralell lines in the kit fuselage... This was fixed on their 1/72 scale kit...

Their Me-110Gs were fair kits, much superior to the Revell/Pro-modeller, but difficult to assemble. Rear fuselage cross-section was "rounded-corner squarish" in reality, and Eduard went for a true oval... I find that not prohibitively poor depending on how you look at it... They are poor-fitting at the nacelles and fiddly.

Their Mig-21s are excellent, and are among the "new" Eduard's superior quality we can now expect.

Robertson

REV/PRO has wall-like clear parts....

the 1/48 Yak-3 is a quick build kit. (I have several)

the I-16 (Type 10 and 24) are also good kits

Eduard has also re-issued some Gavia kits (La-7 and U-2/Po-2) that are also pretty good.

I loved their Airacobras (they take some work but are a nice kit) but am not too enamored with the 1/32 Bf 109E that I'm building. I keep hearing great things about the engineering and fit of their MiG-21 and Spitfire kits but my experiences make me dubious of those claims.

I've also built their Sopwith Camel and that was a tough build.

Well, I went out and bought the Eduard Spitfire IX. Just started the build, everything so far seems to fit well (with a few exceptions), and the detail is amazing. I did have some problems when I assembled the fuselage to the wing sections. The space for the fuselage was too narrow, and forcing the two together caused the wing dihedral to come out almost flat instead of the way it's supposed to be. I guess that's why they invented hobby knives and files.