Eduard kits?

Hi, Where did you encounter the fit issues with the Spitfire? The only issues I've seen is trying to sqeeze the Brassin (Eduard) resin cockpit into their own Spitfire kit. Everything else seems to fit nicely.

Brad

Spitfire is awesome. Some fit issues but by far the best Spit it 1/48. I'm a fan of the MiG-21, too. I hear good things about the new Bf109e-4 in 1/48

I did have a few fit issues with my build....mainly because I built it with a closed canopy. The wing roots were a little tight, too.

my WIP http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=269484&st=0&p=2553019&fromsearch=1entry2553019

complete http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=272649&st=0&p=2585521&fromsearch=1entry2585521

Why, when I was a lad we'd have *killed* for tight wing roots! Back in those days we had it tough. You could put your foot right through the gaps in the wing roots - but we were happy just to *have* wing roots.

Tell the kids today that and they won't believe ya...

I go back that far. Actually, I go back to when Revell, Monogram, & the few others 1st started in the mid 50s, so basically I've seen the entire evolution of plastic scale modeling. And yes, I do remember back in the 70s that most, if not all wing roots were basically canyons waiting for massive amounts of Green Stuff. Fit was more of a general term back then. Today it's a whole different ballgame. Now we're worried about 1 or 2mm's. Times sure have changed.

As for the Eduard Spitfire IXc, I'm currently building the kit, and the wing roots are in fact too tight. It was the only fit issue I've had in the entire kit. Everything else fits like a glove.

Joel

Interesting, I have mine dry fitted and my wing to fuselage is very good with the proper dihedral.

Brad

Dry fitting without the full cockpit, the fit was perfect, with the full cockpit glued into place the fuselage was just a few mm to wide at the wing joint. At least that what I experienced with my build.

Joel

Hi Joel, Cockpit is installed.

Brad

Dry fitting without the full cockpit, the fit was perfect, with the full cockpit glued into place the fuselage was just a few mm to wide at the wing joint. At least that what I experienced with my build.

Joel

My kit's dry-fitting was fine until the PE dash was installed. THAT'S what split the top seam in front of the windshield for me. That threw the rest of the fitting off...The wing roots were off from dry fitting on...the dihedral would have drooped way too far down had I not shaved the seams a touch.

While my wing roots were a small issue, it just took some filing, sanding, and then some Green stuff to blend everything together. Once primed and the base color coat was applied, it looks just fine.

Joel

I wish the discussions here did not focus on others. I remember threads where Jennings was the villain. Why? Robertson (whoever he is) seems to have very high standards for accuracy, but we all enjoy this hobby differently. You have a different perspective? Great. Dispute the facts, not how wrong his and how right your viewpoints are. And since when do we have to post photos of our work to discuss anything? Not cool in my view.

the point about posting pictures is in reference to the fact that rivet counters find fault with just about every kit no matter how trivial the issue of contention is, yet they almost never build any kits.

My view is that this is a hobby about building models to the best of one's abilities. I already posted that I go back to just about the beginning of the hobby in the '50's, so I've seen the transformation of the industry/hobby to what it is today. What we have today is so far superior to what it was at any other time, it's just not comparable. You can fault with every kit if you look long and hard enough. Every kit is a trade off to what they can accomplish given their budgets & time constraints. One needs to remember that these are corporations for profit that are producing these kits. It's just that simple.

Joel

I wish the discussions here did not focus on others. I remember threads where Jennings was the villain. Why? Robertson (whoever he is) seems to have very high standards for accuracy, but we all enjoy this hobby differently. You have a different perspective? Great. Dispute the facts, not how wrong his and how right your viewpoints are. And since when do we have to post photos of our work to discuss anything? Not cool in my view.

Exactly! I don't see the point either.

the point about posting pictures is in reference to the fact that rivet counters find fault with just about every kit no matter how trivial the issue of contention is, yet they almost never build any kits.

My view is that this is a hobby about building models to the best of one's abilities. I already posted that I go back to just about the beginning of the hobby in the '50's, so I've seen the transformation of the industry/hobby to what it is today. What we have today is so far superior to what it was at any other time, it's just not comparable. You can fault with every kit if you look long and hard enough. Every kit is a trade off to what they can accomplish given their budgets & time constraints. One needs to remember that these are corporations for profit that are producing these kits. It's just that simple.

Joel

Still don't see the point. Personally, how many kits other people build is just none of my business.

Yes these are corporations for profit that are producing these kits, but there is such a huge quality difference between the products of these companies. If this was any business other than the model kit business, IMO there is no way certain company would have survived.

Still don't see the point. Personally, how many kits other people build is just none of my business.

Yes these are corporations for profit that are producing these kits, but there is such a huge quality difference between the products of these companies. If this was any business other than the model kit business, IMO there is no way certain company would have survived.

Delide,

Lets just leave it at your last statement, as you shown that you don't understand much about how the real business world functions.

Joel

What does that have to do with anything? Just because you don't happen to be interested in something (a "trivial" issue - in *your* opinion) doesn't mean that others aren't interested in it. That doesn't mean you're less of a person than they are, it's just that people are interested in different things. To some people, it's the small things that make or break a model. There's absolutely *nothing* wrong with that view, any more than there's anything wrong with your view. They're just different. A little tolerance goes a long way (and life is waaaaaaaay too short anyway).

As for whether someone builds kits, can you tell me what that has to do with having knowledge of the real aircraft and using that to analyze the efforts of a kit manufacturer? I'm personal friends with a couple of model kit designers, and neither of them has built a model in decades.

J

What does that have to do with anything? Just because you don't happen to be interested in something (a "trivial" issue - in *your* opinion) doesn't mean that others aren't interested in it. That doesn't mean you're less of a person than they are, it's just that people are interested in different things. To some people, it's the small things that make or break a model. There's absolutely *nothing* wrong with that view, any more than there's anything wrong with your view. They're just different. A little tolerance goes a long way (and life is waaaaaaaay too short anyway).

As for whether someone builds kits, can you tell me what that has to do with having knowledge of the real aircraft and using that to analyze the efforts of a kit manufacturer? I'm personal friends with a couple of model kit designers, and neither of them has built a model in decades.

J

By trivial issue I was referring to was a minor error in scale size of a mm or less. One of the opening posts quoted that there was an error of .5mm. To me that's trivial. Also, when comparing kits from different manufactures you need to compare these kits based on the market that they're intended for. A Tamiya kit which averages $150 and up, is targeted to a different market then a Hobby Boss kit @ $75+. That's just the way that the business world works.

Again, my point about rivet counters not being modelers. ARC is a modeling site. Look at all the great builds posted here. If everyone was concerned about building only the most accurate scaled model possible, there wouldn't be as many build blogs being posted. Just about every kit has issues. It's the nature of the beast. And not everyone is able to make those corrections, nor wants to. That's now what this hobby is about for the majority of the members.

As for your friends who are model kit designers, their knowledge of, and access to the information needed to produce a kit to the standards that they are contracted to design, is what is important. Their model building interests or lack there of has nothing to do with the formulation of the kit. It's our interests in aircraft, and building models of those aircraft that makes us modelers. If we don't build models, why would one care in the 1st place how accurate or inaccurate a kit is?

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

And what's wrong with that? You think kits should be built - great. We all take different things away from the hobby, and if someone prefers to ditch a half-built model when he realizes that it's "fatally flawed" - who are we to criticize?? To you it may be "off by 1mm, can't even see it", to him it's "off by 25%, and hence unbuildable caricature". Don't dispute someone's views, dispute the facts - that was my point. River counting is not a dirty word, we can all coexist here I hope :).

As for your friends who are model kit designers, their knowledge of, and access to the information needed to produce a kit to the standards that they are contracted to design, is what is important. Their model building interests or lack there of has nothing to do with the formulation of the kit. It's our interests in aircraft, and building models of those aircraft that makes us modelers. If we don't build models, why would one care in the 1st place how accurate or inaccurate a kit is?

You just made my point for me and negated your previous post.

And "trivial" to you isn't "trivial" 'to someone else. My girlfriend might be ugly to you, but she's gorgeous to me. Same thing. Your opinion is not the only valid opinion in the universe. The sooner you recognize that, the easier life will be for you. If you don't like what someone writes, simply don't read it. But don't feel the need to denigrate them and their opinion and their knowledge as a result.