CD72021: 1/72 EC-121 Warning Star

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, AnthonyWan said:

Now if someone would just release a new tool EC-121 in 1/72.. 

Plus Model did a re-release of the Heller 1/72 EC-121 with some extra resin parts. Heller is also re-releasing the Super Connie and you can get conversion parts from OzMods or dmold modelworks. 

14 minutes ago, Ljmorrow92 said:

Plus Model did a re-release of the Heller 1/72 EC-121 with some extra resin parts. Heller is also re-releasing the Super Connie and you can get conversion parts from OzMods or dmold modelworks. 

That is very good to know... Any idea when it's coming out? 

Scratch that. I did some additional looking just to verify. The Plus Model is currently available on Hannants. It's an EC-121 based off the L-1049 Super Connie. The Heller re-release is the L-749 and isn't the Super Connie.  It could still be used for the PO-1(VW-2) Short Warning Star. RVHP has a conversion for that but it wouldn't be a true EC-121. That's all available at Hannants as well. I'm sorry to get your hopes up...

• 1 month later...

You guys sure are in full-court press mode today ;-)

I don't know - we still have three months to go until the end of the year and two more release batches that I have not fully mapped out. The 1/144 sheet is now a C-121/EC-121 sheet really - I have been adding a couple transport models as well.

On 9/18/2017 at 11:54 AM, KursadA said:

You guys sure are in full-court press mode today ;-)

I don't know - we still have three months to go until the end of the year and two more release batches that I have not fully mapped out. The 1/144 sheet is now a C-121/EC-121 sheet really - I have been adding a couple transport models as well.

Thanks for the update, looking forward to this one

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Falcon053 said:

So is there a chance this one will be reissued next year? I know part 2 is coming out in November, but I'm gathering for a build and want to build the AFRES plane. Thanks

I will reprint CD72021 (part 1) sometime next year, too - as soon as part 2 sells out. 

I am still wondering why Part 2 was much more popular than Part 1 . My guess is that most folks would like to build a camouflaged BatCat.

On 8/1/2017 at 8:09 AM, AnthonyWan said:

Now if someone would just release a new tool EC-121 in 1/72.. 

Unfortunely the chance of that happening is equal to the chance Tamiya will release a 1/32 Douglas A2D Skyshark.

On 10/18/2017 at 1:58 PM, KursadA said:

I will reprint CD72021 (part 1) sometime next year, too - as soon as part 2 sells out. 

I am still wondering why Part 2 was much more popular than Part 1 . My guess is that most folks would like to build a camouflaged BatCat.

I love all those schemes, I just have no room for the 1/72 kit. Hence my interest in seeing these in 1/144! I've got several on the Minicraft kits!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:58 PM, KursadA said:

Part 2 has a regular USAF EC-121D that flew during the Vietnam War, although I have no idea if that aircraft was actually in that theater. What I really want is a USAF Disco EC-121 that served as an AWACS during the Linebacker campaign in 1972.  Who would want a model of an aircraft that actually participated in a shooting war and supplied information to fighter jets to make actual MiG kills during the most intense air campaign of the war?  I dunno, ME maybe...

10 hours ago, Ljmorrow92 said:

I would just love to have a 552nd AECW bird. Every single one of the decals that have been produced for USAF birds have been 551st. They're great decals, I'm just biased to 552nd stuff due to family ties. 

Having done a little more research, I see that it was Detachment 1 of the 552nd ACW that was deployed to SEA, and assisted with 25 MiG kills.  We need 552nd decals!!!

11 hours ago, Rocky said:

Having done a little more research, I see that it was Detachment 1 of the 552nd ACW that was deployed to SEA, and assisted with 25 MiG kills.  We need 552nd decals!!!

I agree! That's been discussed in this thread if you read back to the posts of a couple of years ago. A third EC-121 sheet, potentially including 552nd decals, was reportedly in the planning stages back then. Obviously it was shelved in favor of other projects. Maybe we'll see it one day. I'd love to see decals for "Triple Nickel" (now in the USAF Museum), "Camellia City 49er," and the EC-121Q--all 552nd aircraft.

Edited by David Fifer
  • 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread.  I completely missed out on the first round of these decals, and now that I have a kit to slap them on can't find any.  Wondering if the storied third set is still.in the works?  I, too, would like a USAF bird that participated in SEA, but beggars can't be choosers...

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 6:05 AM, fessSto said:

Resurrecting this thread.  I completely missed out on the first round of these decals, and now that I have a kit to slap them on can't find any.  Wondering if the storied third set is still.in the works?  I, too, would like a USAF bird that participated in SEA, but beggars can't be choosers...

I just picked up a kit as well.  These decals are no where to be found...I'm all for a third set or a reprint..