CD72021: 1/72 EC-121 Warning Star

The first EC-121 sheet is here, and it looks great. The instructions for both sheets should be ready by the end of the week. I will wait until the second sheet comes back to make both of them available at the same time.

ec121a.jpg

ec121b.jpg

ec121c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Both sheets sold very well, but I noticed that 72022 outsold 72021 by almost 60%. I tried to make both sheets have a similar variety. I wonder if it is the camouflaged option, even though its markings are relatively plain? Any ideas?

Probably a combo of the camo bird and the ones with orange patches leading to the numbers. I've noticed modelers seem to go bannanas for things in SEA or with dayglo/orange.

Having said that though I'll be getting part two myself, but I'll be getting it for the option with the red lightning bolt.

Edited by rustywelder
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Both EC-121 sheets are sold out. Looks like I underestimated the demand for these. I do not expect to reprint them for at least another year, but I will schedule a third EC-121 sheet with some markings that I wanted to do but could not include in the first two sheets.

Correction: It looks like I still have 6 (six) of CD72021 available, I just enabled the order button again.

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

A 121 from Korat:

scan0348.jpg

scan0346.jpg

For those who plan on building a Connit, take a look at the tip tanks. There were metal rods going down the sides all the way around the tank. They met at a point ahead and behind.

Pretty nice build of an EC-121 (built using CD72022) on Modeling Madness today. Both sheets are now sold out, but a third one is on the way.

Carmel J. Attard's EC-121 build on MM

Thanks for the news on reprinting sheet CD72022. Is a third EC-121 sheet still on the way? If so, any hint as to the markings, and when it might be out?

Edited by David Fifer

I am reprinting a limited batch of the second EC-121 sheet (CD72022). It should be available in October.

Thanks for the info Kursad. This is great news because I must have been sleeping when these came out. Somehow I missed both sheets. I was really interested in this one and I hope I am not sleeping when you activate the link.

I have my Heller Connie partially built but I need to pretty much start over since Fisher has such nice updates for the kit now. With your decals and his resin I think My Connie would be worthwhile to build.

Thanks for the news on reprinting sheet CD72022. Is a third EC-121 sheet still on the way? If so, any hint as to the markings, and when it might be out?

A third sheet is still in the works - my goal is to release it in early 2016. It will basically replace the first EC-121 sheet (CD72021) that was the slower-selling one of the two.

For those who plan on building a Connie, take a look at the tip tanks. There were metal rods going down the sides all the way around the tank. They met at a point ahead and behind.

These seem to appear in photos more often than not, but not always. For some additional info, Google "Views of the EC-121R Tip Tanks." There are some other good photos of tip tanks on the web and in books if you hunt around.

What I haven't been able to pin down yet is exactly how many rods there were and how they were positioned around the tank. My best sense from studying photos is that there were eight, equally spaced at 45-degree intervals around tank. However, if there were eight and they started at the top then this would leave one rod intersecting the wing tip attachment point. Maybe one did, or maybe there were fewer rods, or maybe the spacing was altered to miss the wingtip. Anybody have any definitive information on this detail?

And note that the "rods" (was their cross section round?) were mounted on little stand-offs, not flush to the tank surface. I'm not looking forward to trying to replicate that feature on my 1/72 Fisher resin tip tanks assuming I can ever get the number and orientation figured out. Photo-etch, anyone?

I wish I could have gotten better shots but technically we weren't even allowed to take pictures of these aircraft. I used to drive my Jeep as close as 20 - 30 feet away but if even I tried to se my camera (or especially me, the maint. guys would take great pleasure in reporting me. Most of them hated our squadron. When I would walk around taking pictures in my cammoflaged uniform, I would get stopped all the time. I think they liked the idea of having me show them my photo pass as revenge fir them having to show their I.D. cards coming on the base.

• 7 months later...

I now have fewer than 10 copies of CD72022 left. This is the second EC-121 sheet, the one I reprinted last year.

http://caracalmodels.com/cd72022.html

I will not reprint this sheet - I already reprinted it once. When these are gone, I will have sold 750 EC-121 sheets - I am not sure the world needs a third new 1/72 scale EC-121 sheet, but I will be releasing one anyway ;-) Expect it to come out sometime in summer/fall.

Edited by KursadA

I will not reprint this sheet - I already reprinted it once. When these are gone, I will have sold 750 EC-121 sheets - I am not sure the world needs a third new 1/72 scale EC-121 sheet, but I will be releasing one anyway ;-) Expect it to come out sometime in summer/fall.

vq1_zpsjdt33soe.jpg

vq2_zpsfmwcwjse.jpg

vaq-33_zpsp9beesne.jpg

WC-121_zpskkrdzklh.jpg

Awesome!! Any chance for some the special Navy "spook" variants of VQ-1 / VQ-2, electronic aggressors of VAQ-33, or Hurricane Hunters of VW-4? Lots of options still out there!

Edited by scoobs