Bastard of Bodney P-51B Mustang

My contribution to this group bulid will be Academy P-51B Mustang of the 8th Air Force 352nd FG named Blue nose Bastards of Bodney. I will recreate the aircraft that was flown by Lt. Robert H. Powell Jr. in standard Nature Metal with Medium Blue nose and full D-Day markings. For this build Eagle Strike decal set IP7208 will be used.

IMG_3938_zps31fa1620.jpg

Primož

• 2 weeks later...

Coming along nicely. Interesting that the fuselage is in four parts.

Different Academy P-51B/C kits come with different tail feathers hence the kit breakdown.

Primož, that looks like a sharp job you're making of this, keep up the good work, I'll be keen to see this completed. :thumbup:

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Beautiful! I love that scheme on the Mustang. Question: did you mask off and paint the invasion stripes and blue nose after you sprayed the NMF? If so, how did you protect the NMF from being damaged by the masking material?

Well done!

Cheers!

Don.

Thank you for you kind words.

Don first color to apply was the Alclad II Aluminium color. It was sprayed over Valleyo acrilic primer which was polished. After aplying NMF another round of polishing was done. And after that cam invasion marks and blue nose. I have never had any problems with Alclad in peeling off or damaging the surface by masking. So far I used acrilic and enamel primer with alclad and also sprayed the stuff directly to plastic. And then masking on the NMF surface. And so far everything was OK. The only thing thats important is to spray it on glossy or finely grinded surface.

Thank you for you kind words.

Don first color to apply was the Alclad II Aluminium color. It was sprayed over Valleyo acrilic primer which was polished. After aplying NMF another round of polishing was done. And after that cam invasion marks and blue nose. I have never had any problems with Alclad in peeling off or damaging the surface by masking. So far I used acrilic and enamel primer with alclad and also sprayed the stuff directly to plastic. And then masking on the NMF surface. And so far everything was OK. The only thing thats important is to spray it on glossy or finely grinded surface.

Thank you! Good luck with the rest of the build. Keep us posted please.

Cheers!

Don.

Coming along very nicely. The invasion stripes are very well done. It's nice to see a "B" with the stripes. It's mostly "D" models we see with the stripes.

Mike