Silent Running - Dewey Maintenance Drone

While I don't build a lot of models which fall under the Sci-Fi category, I do like to build subjects from my favorite movies in this genre. I really liked Silent Running when I first saw it in the theater and managed to pick up several kits from this movie over the years. Here is one that I just completed. It Is the Planet-X version and depicts drone No. 1. In the movie, Bruce Dern gives this drone the name Dewey. The completed model is about 5-6 inches high.

DSCN2486Large.jpg

DSCN2485Large.jpg

DSCN2484Large.jpg

DSCN2483Large.jpg

DSCN2482Large.jpg

DSCN2477Large.jpg

Have fun modeling!

Mike

:cheers:/>/>

One of my favorite sci-fi movies. Had an enviro theme about it long before Hollywood felt the oblication to beat us to death with movies of how bad humans are and how perfect nature is. The little robots were probably the best done and most realistic use of robots that I've ever seen in a sci-fi movie. I really like what you've done with yours, btw.

Thanks guys! There is not a lot of us who remember this film. I brought this model to my local model club about halfway during the build and I got a lot of blank looks! I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Geez ... I remember this movie clear as a bell! Back then the special effects were amazing ... but looking at it now ... well, it's still fun. And I just watched a YouTube "How they made Silent Running" vid ... and that took me back those 35 or 40 years.

You did a terrific job on this Mike!

Thanx for the post!

Pete

• 3 months later...

While I don't build a lot of models which fall under the Sci-Fi category, I do like to build subjects from my favorite movies in this genre. I really liked Silent Running when I first saw it in the theater and managed to pick up several kits from this movie over the years. Here is one that I just completed. It Is the Planet-X version and depicts drone No. 1. In the movie, Bruce Dern gives this drone the name Dewey. The completed model is about 5-6 inches high.

Hi Mike,

What a great model, I love it! Years ago I also bought the Planet X model, all three drones in one set, in white resin, full of air bubbles. I later learned that the originals were sold separately, with Dewey in coral resin, Huey in pink resin, and Louie in ivory resin. On Ebay I've also seen them as a set of three, in light tan resin, possibly a recast? Clearly my set was a recast (of a recast maybe, even). Was yours an original?

You mention that you picked up several models over the years. I compiled the following list of Silent Running drone kits, could you compare that with your kit collection?

1. 'British' (5 inch)
  2. Destiny models (1/4 scale)
  3. Larson Design (main body is 2" tall and 2 5/8" wide)
  4. Model Prisoners (5" wide and 6" tall)
  5. Planet X (4" tall x 3 1/2" wide)
  6. Posigrade Creations (1/8 scale, 4 1/2 inch tall)
  7. Wilco Models (1/4 scale)

I am tempted to buy the Destiny Models kit..

Rob

Thanks guys! There is not a lot of us who remember this film. I brought this model to my local model club about halfway during the build and I got a lot of blank looks! I am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I have seen the movie a few times; unfortunately one of the things I remember most is this really awful kaftan 'n' sandals song on the soundtrack! I remember these little guys much more fondly: they had a kind of '70s Disney thing going on, but in a good way! This is a superb project and really brings Dewey to life.

Honestly, I think Silent Running could stand a re-make -more so than some of the dross that Hollywood has seen fit to resurrect for no good reason.

Just spare us Tom Cruise as Lowell! (Maybe John Cusack?)

That is neat, it never would have even occurred to me there might be any models from the movie. I like the movie but it is rather obscure, doesn't seem like many know about it.

Nice job on the little guy. :thumbsup:/>

Edited by Aaronw

I like it a lot! I might not be the biggest fan of the movie, but it surely has a lot of nostalgy value for me since I saw it on TV as a kid. I was into "space movies" back then so that's why I still remember it pretty well (although I saw it for another time years later).

I like it a lot! I might not be the biggest fan of the movie, but it surely has a lot of nostalgy value for me since I saw it on TV as a kid. I was into "space movies" back then so that's why I still remember it pretty well (although I saw it for another time years later).

I have it on DVD and have always liked it. Douglas Trumbull did the special effects. He went on to do Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

I personally think science fiction films of the 50s through the 70's were the better thematically because it was the first time that many of these ideas had been explored in film. You just have to look past the limited special effects and enjoy them with respect to the time and culture in which they were made. One could say they same about other film genres as well. Almost everything today is a rehash of what has come before. For example, I think the original The Day the Earth Stood Still is far superior to the recent Keanu Reeves version, despite far having inferior special effects. Most film makers today are standing on the shoulders of giants. TV producers as well. There are exceptions, of course, which are clearly recognizable. Every generation produces its greats. I am admittedly biased because I grew up with these earlier works.

Edited by DutyCat

Thanks everyone! I am glad you liked my Dewey. It is so great to see that there are a lot of us who not only remember the film but appreciate it for what it was at the time.

Rob

Your list is better than the one I have! You have a few on your Drone list that I have not seen or were aware of. If you can swing it, definitely get the Destiny Models version of the Silent Running maintenance drones. The quality is excellent in the copies I have. There was a recent build of one of the Destiny Models drones over in Starship Modeler and the builder did a fantastic job on the build. Really inspirational!

The Dewey that I built in this thread was the coral colored resin version from the set that was sold separately. It was one of the original kits in this series. I still have the Huey drone kit in my stash (sold the Louie kit a few months ago) that I'll either post for sale on ARC or put it up on eBay. I am ready to move on to the larger Drone kits from Destiny now that I have one of these guys built!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Hi Mike,

What a great model, I love it! Years ago I also bought the Planet X model, all three drones in one set, in white resin, full of air bubbles. I later learned that the originals were sold separately, with Dewey in coral resin, Huey in pink resin, and Louie in ivory resin. On Ebay I've also seen them as a set of three, in light tan resin, possibly a recast? Clearly my set was a recast (of a recast maybe, even). Was yours an original?

You mention that you picked up several models over the years. I compiled the following list of Silent Running drone kits, could you compare that with your kit collection?

1. 'British' (5 inch)
  2. Destiny models (1/4 scale)
  3. Larson Design (main body is 2" tall and 2 5/8" wide)
  4. Model Prisoners (5" wide and 6" tall)
  5. Planet X (4" tall x 3 1/2" wide)
  6. Posigrade Creations (1/8 scale, 4 1/2 inch tall)
  7. Wilco Models (1/4 scale)

I am tempted to buy the Destiny Models kit..

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
Your list is better than the one I have! You have a few on your Drone list that I have not seen or were aware of. If you can swing it, definitely get the Destiny Models version of the Silent Running maintenance drones. The quality is excellent in the copies I have. There was a recent build of one of the Destiny Models drones over in Starship Modeler and the builder did a fantastic job on the build. Really inspirational!

The Dewey that I built in this thread was the coral colored resin version from the set that was sold separately. It was one of the original kits in this series. I still have the Huey drone kit in my stash (sold the Louie kit a few months ago) that I'll either post for sale on ARC or put it up on eBay. I am ready to move on to the larger Drone kits from Destiny now that I have one of these guys built!

Hi Mike, thanks for the information and the recommendation! I looked for the Destiny Models drone article on Starship Modeler, but couldn't locate it. Instead I found DEWEY by Chris Rogerson on Modeler Magic, could that be the article?

Rob

I have seen the movie a few times; unfortunately one of the things I remember most is this really awful kaftan 'n' sandals song on the soundtrack! I remember these little guys much more fondly: they had a kind of '70s Disney thing going on, but in a good way! This is a superb project and really brings Dewey to life.

Honestly, I think Silent Running could stand a re-make -more so than some of the dross that Hollywood has seen fit to resurrect for no good reason.

Or Tom Hanks (puuuke, groooan!)

Would have to be Sam Rockwell for me!

I have seen the movie a few times; unfortunately one of the things I remember most is this really awful kaftan 'n' sandals song on the soundtrack!

Like I said, enjoy within the context of the period when it was made. It was made during an environmental "hippy" enlightenment period. The music and attitudes of the characters and what they were supposed to represent are part of appreciating the film. That opening scene, with all of the frogs and the enviro-hippy music, making you think you are in forest...then you draw back and realize you are on a spacecraft, has an impact.

• 3 weeks later...