sandy preference book

There are quite a few Skyraider books out there. A couple that are right next to my workbench are:

A-1 Skyraider Walk Around #27 from Squadron

Modeler's Guide to the Skyraider by Jay Sherlock (breaks down changes/additions required to kits in a variant-by-variant breakdown). Available from AeroResearch

Although Schiffer Books can be a more than a little variable in quality, their Skyraider book (Douglas A-1 Skyraider: A Photo Chronicle, by Frederick A. Johnsen) is well worth searching out, IMHO.

I'm having a senior moment right now, and I can't recall if there's a Detail & Scale volume on the A-1 or not.

While good technical & pictorial references are essential don't overlook the combat diaries written by pilots who flew the Skyraider. They may not contain many pictures, but they add a whole new dimension & level of understanding to your build. I'm currently building a Tamiya Sandy and reading "Cheating Death" by George J. Marrett (the pilot of A-1J Sock It To 'Em). Another good book is "My Secret War" by Richard S. Drury.

Reading books like these while I build makes me appreciate and respect the aircraft and then men that flew them.