Hi guys, I guess I'm what you'd describe as the new guy.

Now I've had a look at the forums and posts on this site and I'm blown away at some of the amazing creations. To be honest it nearly put me off posting mine which simply pale in comparison but I decided "ah what the heck". Its the only way to learn and grow in this amazing hobby of ours.

I created a diorama several months back. it is a fictitious NATO air base called EVIE, a small base set in the countryside created in 1:144 scale. It is the first diorama I have ever made. Unfortunately I had to truncate the runway due to lack of space! Admittedly this is not the greatest looking diorama so I toyed with ideas on how best to present it. Hopefully the presentation style will enhance the work and provide a different perspective to presenting models. My model planes have progressed from humble beginnings (some of which I'll feature) to slightly more improved models

I have decided to stage an Air Show. I have never seen this done before but love the challenge of trying to capture a true air show experience. I will post this as a 'diorama photo-story video series' (never seen this done before either!) So this is me daring to be different but willing to learn.

For now just a few shots of the base on a normal day. Episode 1 will follow very shortly..

Np6SrLn.jpg

dDuKbL4.jpg

WoCBYmf.jpg

Okay so here we go.

Part 1: Evie Air Show- The Arrivals

It is the early morning hours. The bunting ribbons are up. As with all air shows, the guests come in from far and wide. The barriers are in place at the main gates. No on site parking on Air Show day, so vehicles compete for valuable street parking space whilst shuttle coaches from the local train station bring visitors to the base. The anticipation grows as visitors expect to see a good show. This is Evie's first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96DvREZnWIo

Edited by Supermodelnation

Part 2: Evie Air Show- Eurofighter Typhoon

So the crowd at Evie Air Show were thrilled when Eurofighter Typhoon rolled into view. Built by a consortium of 3 companies- Alenia Aeronautical, BAE Systems and EADS working through the holding company Eurofighter GMbH. The canard delta wing jet entered service with the British Royal Air Force, the German Luftwaffe, the Italian, Spanish and Austrian Air Forces. This one sports the RAF all black Prototype livery. Let's get this show started folks

Part 3: Evie Air Show

The Eurofighter concluded its display. Next up was the Grumman E-2 Hawkeye. A twin engine turboprop designed and developed for the US Navy. Over the years it earned the name "Hummer" due to the distinctive sound from the turboprops. Serving as an Airborne Early Warning (AEW) aircraft, usually with Carrier based sea launches. But it was what was to follow the E-2 that was to prove more of a crowd pleasing.

I did a airshow diorama to see it go to jet diorama page two titled dean spirkoff f-15 diorama. I only used one jet. but I did copy a real scene.

Thanks for the comment Dean. Just had a look at yours. Wow looks pretty cool. Loved the mini t-shirts. That was a real touch. Good work.

Mine focuses on planes in "flight". Each shot is very difficult to set up. Part 4 where I went with multiple planes (F-18s) in formation flight was the hardest scene to set up so far. Just about to post it now. Hope you are enjoying it.

Part 4: Evie Air Show- In Formation

So Evie Air Show is now in full swing. The Tornado with its inverted runway pass at the end was impressive. The crowd waited patiently in anticipation, when suddenly the most deafening of sounds as they counted one...two...three...no...seven F/A 18 Hornets and Super Hornets scream into view from the North East. They came in low and fast climbing as they approached in tight formation

(Editors Note: This particular scene was a real pain in the %#@!$!! to set up...Enjoy)

Part 5: Evie Air Show- The Interval

Okay so every Air Show has that quiet period around mid-day when aerial displays are paused and the crowd are invited to mingle and get up close to some of the static display aircraft in surrounding areas. Here in Part 5 we witness the sights and sounds of the air show experience at the Interval. The mellow music reflects the midday mood and the crowd are taking it all in so why don't you too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L--szX8iuV8

• 2 weeks later...

Part 6: Evie Air Show- V-Force

We are still in the interval here in Part 6 but this time the crowd get to see up close a massive restoration project where not one but three V-Force Bombers are on display. Britain's answer to the Cold War Nuclear threat. These great birds were Britain's show of pioneering aviation. Evie Air Show are proud to be the first modern day air show ever to host all three of these wonderful craft.

But suddenly we find all does not go as was originally planned...

Part 7: Evie AIr Show- The Protest

The Interval had just concluded and the crowed were eager to see the three restored V-Force Bombers take to the skies. We suddenly witnessed a serious security breach when an unknown white van gained unauthorised access to the runway halting the huge V-Force bombers in their tracks much to the crowd's displeasure.

Nothing was to prepare us for the unsightly display that was to follow...

Yes - will the magician divulge his trick there with the flying aircraft..?

Nicely done,

David

Trick?...Those jets are really flying!!! :tongue-in-cheek:

C'mon now Dave you know as well as I do that a good magician never divulges his secrets. Having said that, as this is a sharing site, what I will do at the end of the entire show is share a few "how I did it" shots. I will say each episode is painstaking to create and involves a gantry, careful positioning and the right camera angles.

Hi Supermodelnation, great dio! So how did you suspend the planes? I don't see any rods.

Hi Crackerjazz, well I will say how I didn't do it...no rods, no photoshop, no superimposed photographic images. The scenes you see are all real models in the same shot set up by hand. But I will post how when the air show is finally over. Suffice to say the multiple plane "flight" shots are a nightmare to get right.

Part 8: Evie Air Show- Making History

So once law enforcement had cleared the airfield of the disruptive PEACE PLANET protesters, we finally get to see history in the making. All three fully restored V-Force Bombers line up to take to the skies. This remarkable group of aircraft formed the frontline of British Nuclear delivery capability. They were remarkable then and as the showcase of today's show are still remarkable now. Never seen in flight together at any modern show ever,

So sit back, TURN UP THE VOLUME TO MAX and enjoy this grand historic display of military might

• 2 weeks later...

Part 9: Evie Air Show- Generation Gap

Here in Part 9 we see the amazing carrier based Grumman A-6 Intruder thrilling the crowd and touching down. This is followed by a dual display rarely seen at any air show. Old meets new, history aligns with future, yesterday flirts with today. Two aircraft so different in design but equally unique and advanced for their own time. Savour this aviation rarity. This is one display that really captured the crowd's attention

• 2 weeks later...

Part 10: Evie Air Show- The Finale

This is the grand finale of the show as the crowd are thrilled to one of the NATO's finest fighter attack aircraft. The jet performs low level aerial skills showing agility and manoeuvrability. Look out for the sequenced loop-the-loop! But as all good things come to an end this is the final display of the day...but maybe not quite the end for a few exceedingly lucky guests.

Ladies and Gentlemen we present the McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle.

• 2 weeks later...

Part 11: Evie Air Show- The Winners

As this series draws to a close in this penultimate episode, the Air Show has ended but there is suddenly a buzz of excitement on the base as departing guests check their Prize Draw tickets, Winners scream with joy, losers commiserate and board the coaches home. Suddenly security is stepped up and a heavy army and police presence appears...but whatever all this is for nobody seems to be saying...

Editor's Note: This episode happens to be my fav!