1/72 Special Hobby Vickers Vildebeest Mk IV

Hello

I am starting one of the Vildebeest aircraft series from MPM Production as the Mk IV is possible in RNZAF guise.

This one is NZ123 (ex-RAF K6414) of No 7 Squadron in 1942-1943 protecting the northern approaches.

First the box art, this the Special Hobby 72243 kit

m_339621940_0.jpg

and the scheme with so nice colours

m_339621939_0.jpg

To be continued...

Patrick

• 2 months later...

Hello

I have started my Vildebeest. First I have equipped the cockpit with what is offered in the box. A few metal etched pieces and resin parts.

As far as I know the cockpit will be aluminium and not green like it is indicated in the instruction sheet. The inner face of the fabric could be in the strange light pink comming from the first coat of paint outside, on this point I am really not sure. Any idea over there?

To be continued...

Patrick

m_349197043_0.jpg

m_349197046_0.jpg

m_349197051_0.jpg

m_349197054_0.jpg

Hi Patrick,

Awesome that you are building an RNZAF Vildebeest

These two links are for both a Vildebeest and Vincent (essentially same aircraft)

The Vildebeest is from the RNZAF Museum.

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/2338

The Vincent is held by a private collector who is curently restoring the aircraft here

in New Zealand.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67934-vickers-vincent-walk-around-part-1/?hl=vildebeest

Hope these help with the interior?

Regards

Alan

Hi Patrick,

These two links are for both a Vildebeest and Vincent (essentially same aircraft)

The Vildebeest is from the RNZAF Museum.

http://rnzaf.proboards.com/thread/2338

The Vincent is held by a private collector who is curently restoring the aircraft here

in New Zealand.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67934-vickers-vincent-walk-around-part-1/?hl=vildebeest

Hope these help with the interior?

Regards

Alan

Thank you the subjects are interesting but as I am lazy enough I will stay with the pieces in the box.

Patrick

Hello

I have progressed a little and painted inside. As I told above the metal parts were aluminium doped but the backside of the fabric is something red. For this I used a mix between Humbrol 70 and matt white (2 for 1) and later I drybrushed the panels with white. The harness is in leather. In the end a dark wash highlighted everything.

To be continued...

Patrick

m_349596739_0.jpg

m_349596745_0.jpg

m_349596750_0.jpg

m_349596756_0.jpg

Hi Patrick,

Alan

Hi Alan

Suddenly, this link is becoming highly valuable because now I understand that the trailing edge of the lower wing is not connected to the fuselage. Before that I was looking my kit and scratching my head.

Thank you.

Patrick

Well, that's enough for today. The fuselage is closed and I've just inserted the lower wing to see the shape.

m_350102041_0.jpg

m_350102043_0.jpg

You can look at the gap between the wing trailing edge and the fuselage which I know is normal.

m_350102045_0.jpg

The wires running through holes in the fuselage are for the rigging as I make it like the real aircraft that is to say by tightening the wires between the wings or the fuselage and the wing. The wire is 0,08mm and the holes are 0,3mm.

m_350102047_0.jpg

To be continued...

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

Well, I have progressed in the stage I like the least : sanding. It was not so easy with the central rigging around.

Now the fuselage and the tail are ready. I am preaparing the struts and the wing main rigging.

To be continued...

Patrick

m_354729176_0.jpg

m_354729178_0.jpg

m_354729179_0.jpg

Wow Patrick! Are you using fishing line for the rigging?

Yes, 0.08mm transparent fishing line. I am going to paint them silver before settlement.

Patrick

Hello

I have started painting the main parts.

First the underside is in Gunze H314 FS35622 for the sky blue.

m_357933433_0.jpg

Next the upper wing is in Gunze H72 Dark Earth.

m_357933438_0.jpg

To be continued...

Patrick

• 3 weeks later...