World's Only Surviving Hawker Typhoon...

Yup!

According to a newspaper article I read yesterday, the only surviving Hawker Typhoon, housed at the RAF Museum, will be on long term loan (possibly 3 years) to the Canada Aviation and Space Museum here in Ottawa starting this summer. They hope to have it ready for display on the 70th Anniversary of D-Day. That will certainly be worth another visit to the museum. It should be impressive. Here's a link to the article I referred to.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/World+last+Hawker+Typhoon+warplane+coming+Ottawa/9525088/story.html

Nice, could indeed mean a trip up north.

Only surviving Typhoon? Man, that is sad. Next to the Spit, my next favorite British WWII aircraft. I'd love to hear what one of those sounded like.

Are there any operational engines of the type around? Seems that might be an aircraft to look into building up, if someone with deep pockets in the restoration biz had an interest, kind of like they did with the Me-262.

Hi Al. Thanks for the info. I don't get out from under the rock much so I was quite surprised when I read the article in the paper. I need to get out more. Hope you're well.

David: - You're welcome, sir. Not quite a day trip...

Andrew: - I don't know if there are any available airframes. I have a book on the Typhoon and it states that at the end of the war, Tiffies were being rolled of the assembly lines and dismantles and destroyed without them ever having taken flight. I agree that it would be awesome to see one fly but I wouldn't hold my breath. Too bad. The late father of a work colleague flew Typhoons with 440 Sqn. He loved them. Not sure if there are any operating Napier Sabres around.

Exhausted: - we're always up here. We're not going anywhere. I'm sure you'll be able to come see us some day. The welcome mat is always out.

Ooh WOW...

I am with Exhausted...a trip is called for..

In need of a well deserved vacation, this could be just The ticket..

Thanks Mike for sharing the interesting link/article ..

Hope you're well.. :salute:

(Sorry not had the time to write to you!MY bad). :coolio:

Wow! Only ONE survivor of such a cool iconic WWII fighter? That thing must be worth a bazzilion dollars and I find it odd that the RAF Museum would let it out of their sight. Is there money involved?

I am surprised there is only one as well.

Loaning/ swapping of aircraft is common between museums. I toured the back of the Ottawa museum years ago and sat in one of their ME-163s. The next time I saw it was on loan to the National Museum of the USAF in Dayton. Their ME-262 is also loaned from Ottawa as well (I think).

Chuck: - not sure if any Loonies and Twonies are involved but I wouldn't be surprised if there was...or at least us sending a rental in return.

HOLMES / David / Steve: - You're welcome any time. We never close. Okay...that's a lie. This government city usually is sound asleep by midnight but it's not like we're going anywhere! Things are well HOLMES. Will drop a line soon.

Scooby: - We still have an Me-163 on display here. The collection had two of them but we traded one to a museum (plus other aircraft) for the Bf-109F-4 that's on display. Unfortunately there's no Me-262 on display at the museum.

You're welcome any time. We never close. Okay...that's a lie. This government city usually is sound asleep by midnight but it's not like we're going anywhere!

We visited Ottawa a few years ago..got lost downtown and ended up in the Parliament parking lot! It was a couple of days after Canada Day, so everybody was still in "laid back party mode." Then again, I think that may be the default setting for Canucks. It was actually the Fourth of July..it was a bit weird spending it not only in another country, but the capitol of another country. Everybody asked if we'd had a good Canada Day, and when we told them we were Yanks, they just grinned and said "Well happy Fourth, Eh!"

The Canada Aviation and Space Museum is absolutely fantastic. And the storage/restoration hangar next door is also chocked full of can't-miss awesomeness (I never thought I'd ever see a Fairey Battle in the flesh.) I took the tour twice, and I'm sure I still missed a few things. Next time we're up there, I want to check out the Canadian War Museum as well.

SN

We visited Ottawa a few years ago..got lost downtown and ended up in the Parliament parking lot! It was a couple of days after Canada Day, so everybody was still in "laid back party mode." Then again, I think that may be the default setting for Canucks. It was actually the Fourth of July..it was a bit weird spending it not only in another country, but the capitol of another country. Everybody asked if we'd had a good Canada Day, and when we told them we were Yanks, they just grinned and said "Well happy Fourth, Eh!"

The Canada Aviation and Space Museum is absolutely fantastic. And the storage/restoration hangar next door is also chocked full of can't-miss awesomeness (I never thought I'd ever see a Fairey Battle in the flesh.) I took the tour twice, and I'm sure I still missed a few things. Next time we're up there, I want to check out the Canadian War Museum as well.

SN

My only gripe about the CASM is the forced guided tours of the secondary building/displays. I don't need or want a guided tour, I'd rather just go on my own.

My only gripe about the CASM is the forced guided tours of the secondary building/displays. I don't need or want a guided tour, I'd rather just go on my own.

With the right connections you can get unrestricted access. Let me know the next time your in town and I will see what I can pull off for you.

Sean

Scooby: - We still have an Me-163 on display here. The collection had two of them but we traded one to a museum (plus other aircraft) for the Bf-109F-4 that's on display. Unfortunately there's no Me-262 on display at the museum.

I know they have two ME-163s, that's why I said I sat in one of them. :)

The other is on loan to the National Museum of the USAF in Dayton, Ohio. I don't think it was a permanent trade, the 163 has a placard with the aircrafts history and states it is on loan from the National Museum in Ottawa.

The two 163s were war prizes.

There is a lot of cool stuff not on display in Ottawa.

I told them I was serving military and that I also volunteered at the aviation museum in Edmonton. I was lucky, I had my own private tour.

SN

If you didn't visit Vintage Wings of Canada you missed out. It is only a short drive to Gatineu, Quebec (I think it took me 45 minutes from Ottawa).

You need to call them as all tours are private.

Edited by Scooby

Good for those in Canada, not so good for my visit to the UK later this year. :(/> The Typhoon was high on my list of must sees. Hugely ticked off doesn't even begin to cover it. <_</>

Steve.

Steve,

Catch a ride over to Sydney..... Book on AC034 Triple 777 Service to Vancouver (YVR) and then to Toronto (YYZ)..... We have Rabid Air flights every hour to Ottawa (YOW) Hop one for a couple of Days..... Then Get yourself Booked on AC888 Direct 767 service to London LHR. Make it an Adventure! :thumbsup:

You know you Wanna do it...... :woot.gif:

:cheers:

Emil

Steve,

Catch a ride over to Sydney..... Book on AC034 Triple 777 Service to Vancouver (YVR) and then to Toronto (YYZ)..... We have Rabid Air flights every hour to Ottawa (YOW) Hop one for a couple of Days..... Then Get yourself Booked on AC888 Direct 767 service to London LHR. Make it an Adventure! :thumbsup:/>

You know you Wanna do it...... :woot.gif:/>

:cheers:/>

Emil

Sounds like a plan, & yes, I've thought of doing something similar, but if its a lot more expensive then it won't be a runner, I'm taking my oldest son with me, mainly a family catch up trip, visit my Uncles grave in Belgium & hope to take in an airshow & some aviation Museums, like Hendon, where the the Typhoon won't be. :( ;) Something for me to check out though, thanks for the prod.:)

Steve.

• 3 months later...

Got word form one of my co-workers at the Ottawa airport; The Typhoon was unloaded from a C-17 the other day. No word yet when it will be on display, but the last I heard they are trying for June 6th.

Sean