Announcement from Great Wall Hobby on their 1/48 F-15B/D kit

I received an email from Mr. Yu Lin at Lionroar/Great Wall Hobby today, requesting me to post the following letter and CAD images regarding the changes that have been made to their 1/48 F-15B/D kit. This is all the information I have, and I'm just passing it along as-is.

J

Dear sir,

Please note the special announcement for our kit L4815.

Since Nov 2013, our new kit of L4815 F-15B/D USAF/IAF 2 in 1 came to the market and became hot attention focus as it is the newest F-15 kit with more attractive details in the market. After then, we received more research information material and checked with our design, we found some of our parts are not as perfect as we expected. As a company whose focus is to design plastic model kits with the most perfect effect, we decide to share our newest research achievement and upgrade the kits immediately.

Please see the attached pictures for the update detail, we upgrade the design of some parts in upper fuselage which can strictly and perfectly show the characteristics of real plane. Meanwhile, we also add some newest accurate details on the parts, which are never found in all the F-15 kits in the market before.

We will provide and ship all the upgrade parts in several weeks to our agents and sellers all over the world. The modelers, who bought our L4815 before and wanted to get the upgrade parts, can contact with your sellers or region agent in your side for the free parts.

Please note again perfect is our indefatigable chase.

Thank you very much for your cooperation and please pay more attention to our update.

B.rgds.

Yu Lin

Shanghai Lionroar / Great Wall Hobby.

GREAT WALL HOBBY

SHANGHAI LIONROAR ART MODEL Co., LTD.

Room 25C, No.631,Ling Ling Road, Shanghai, 200030, P.R.China

Web site: http://www.lionroarmodel.cn

103653q38tuz187ub8w85c.jpg

103654bhfdvtvdlasjzt1u.jpg

103656e6l6wshqkfccn3mk.jpg

103657s6ys44uy64n0qmy5.jpg

133536uffrzlfw1yx8jbwr.jpg

Edited by Jennings

And what about all the other mistakes and bad issues of this kit?

Nothing?

Look, just to remember all the other problems:

---------------------------

GREAT WALL HOBBY 1/48 F-15B/D.

Wrapping up all these hundreds and hundreds of posts. What we - so far - know about this kit.

Update 02, changes and addition in Italics:

ECM Cones:

The ECM cone needed for an USAF F-15D is missing.

Top Fuselage JSF Chimmey:

The top fuselage JSF chimney is too long and narrow.

Decals:

USAF crew names misspelled.

Missile Launchers:

LAU-128 missile launchers not included.

Cockpit:

Side consoles way too low and, as a result, dashboards too long.

Under Fuselage:

Both drain pipes are missing, which is correct only for a F-15E but not for an early Eagle.

Surface Detail:

Heavy engraved panel lines and plenty of rivets, but rivets are invisible on the real plane and most of panel lines are barely visible.

Exhaust Nozzles:

Plastic actuators are way too thick, plastic petals are too long. Only one couple of nozzles included. As a result, building an early Eagle out of the box it is not possible.

Engine Humps:

Too much pronounced, bulging laterally too much.

Horizontal Stabilizers:

Heavy reinforcement strips but there are none of such strips on the F-15B/Ds.

Trailing Edges:

Wings, tails, and stabilizers trailing edges are very thick - way over scaled.

Wing mobile surfaces:

Both flaps and ailerons are separate parts but their fit is very poor.

Air Intakes:

Curved air intakes lips but they should be straight.

Wheels:

Early and late kind of wheels but both are wrong bulged so they are useless.

Canopy fairing:

Wrong shape: The canopy fairing slope is too shallow.

Canopy:

Wrong shape: Rear half too long and not enough bulged.

Windshield:

Not bulged and somewhat smaller than it should be.

Seats:

Two kinds of seat are included but both useless because too much tall.

Pilots:

No pilots included.

Intake Trunks:

Trunks are too long and ridiculously narrow in the middle.

Radome:

Way too fat at the tip.

Forward Fuselage:

Forward fuselage sides are just straight, not shaped as according to the area rule (Coke bottle).

Airbrake Fairing:

Only the late kind of airbrake fairing and that is wrong for an F-15B.

Airbrake Underside:

The airbrake underside is recessed but that not the case on the real thing.

Engines:

Both engines included but they look generic, very different from the real ones.

Engine fans and inlets:

Both kind included but fan bladed count is wrong: 14 instead of 21; and 20 instead of 38.

Antennas:

Antennas are typical of a late MSIP Eagle, not of an early F-15B/D.

Weapons:

Weapons loads are wrong for any of the two USAF decals options.

I'm sure he's disappointed that someone from GWH won't come to his house to build it for him.

More like his joy was stolen. :rolleyes:/>

And just because they showed some of the 'major' fixes to their molds in that mail, it doesn't mean they aren't going to correct some of the others.

Some of the points in his list are just nitpicking and nagging which were already addressed in that mail and new cad images like you said Jennings, so why not update the list instead of reposting it over and over again?

Edited by Inquisitor

At least we have a manufacturer that is willing to listen to the modeller and correct mistakes that may have been over looked at the time of making the moulds. Along with Kinetic it seems we have a another company worth supporting.

Seems you longer even bother to update your own list and just keep resposting over and over. When already some of the issues have been addressed either by GWH or explained by other forum members. geez.

quoting your big list, and I'm adding a note below each issue already addressed on bold.

And what about all the other mistakes and bad issues of this kit?

Nothing?

Look, just to remember all the other problems:

Decals:

USAF crew names misspelled.

Decal mispellling already noted by ViperBite and most likely already passed to GWH

Cockpit:

Side consoles way too low and, as a result, dashboards too long.

Other members compared it and seems to be around same depth as Revell's

Engine Humps:

Too much pronounced, bulging laterally too much.

Mail/CAD show they change they fix the shape and no longer bulging.

Canopy fairing:

Wrong shape: The canopy fairing slope is too shallow.

Canopy:

Wrong shape: Rear half too long and not enough bulged.

Both of those fixed as shown on the CADs.

Seats:

Two kinds of seat are included but both useless because too much tall.

Escapac is too tall, yes. But ACES seat seems to be around same size as other plastic versions.

Pilots:

No pilots included.

Nitpicking

Radome:

Way too fat at the tip.

In the mail they show to have fixed the radome cross section

Forward Fuselage:

Forward fuselage sides are just straight, not shaped as according to the area rule (Coke bottle).

Mail/CADs already mentioned they have fixed it.

Airbrake Underside:

The airbrake underside is recessed but that not the case on the real thing.

They already explained because of the molded plastic minimum thickness they can't mold the airbrake parts thin enough without needing a recess for it to sit flush.

Antennas:

Antennas are typical of a late MSIP Eagle, not of an early F-15B/D.

Nothing you can't remove or add with some sheet styrene.

And if you bothered to read the mail posted by Jennings, GWH will send updated parts pack to their distributors for those who bought the kit free of charge.

But guess for you even with that you won't get your Joy or money's worth back.

At least GWH has shown twice they're willing to fix their mistakes, not a cheap endeavor when their molds are already cut and they need to cut new mold for those fixed parts. Compared to other manufacturers like Tamiyagawa or Trumpyhawk...

Edited by Inquisitor

Fantastic response from GWH boss. That is responsible company who invest, improve and listen their customers. Hope to some others listen as well. Thanks :-)

Lets go on Flanker family :-)

If GWH does a Flanker family, I'm in for four or five , maybe six.

I don't understand. The F-15 (Reporter) I want is still a wishful thought.

I guess I should actually build my Monogram kit using the LSM F-15 conversion that I have had for years. Then they will announce the Reporter as a follow on to their P-61 series :lol:

It is commendable they are doing corrections and will provide them free to those who already bought the original F-15 kit.

Max Bryant

At least we have a manufacturer that is willing to listen to the modeller and correct mistakes that may have been over looked at the time of making the moulds. Along with Kinetic it seems we have a another company worth supporting.

My thoughts exactly. They'll be getting my business.

Please just to clarify:

I actually placed GWH cockpit (without IP) into Revell fuselage, seems consoles goes where they have to go,

I think mistake is in dashboard's shape , not consoles too low.

I DO NOT CLAIM myself right, if I'm wrong PLEASE somebody shows me Where I am mistaking.

This is my VERY LAST post on console argument, don't worry.

Iggy

Excuse me again.

Yes, I quoted Galfa's list and added my notes in bold below them, the cockpit part was in reference to your comparison.

But it seems all the explanations, comparisons and fixes are going over this guys head or he's simply ignoring everything.

Edited by Inquisitor

Yes, I quoted Galfa's list and added my notes in bold below them, the cockpit part was in reference to your comparison.

But it seems all the explanations, comparisons and fixes are going over this guys head or he's simply ignoring everything.

He's got a weird boner for the Hasegawa kit, to the point of disparaging everything else on the market, even if the Gawa kit is very difficult to build

He's got a weird boner for the Hasegawa kit, to the point of disparaging everything else on the market, even if the Gawa kit is very difficult to build

Well both kits have their issues, and neither is perfect. Each person have a different view of what to look for in a kit. In my case only the major issues stand out + the price. But with the fixes shown, it's pretty close to what it be acceptable for me.

Edited by Inquisitor

Did you actually read my post?

@Jennings,

Yes, I did read your post. That is why I re-posted the GWH F-15B/D tweak list. Reading your post looks like GWH has still a long road to go before fixing the many problems of this kit. My hope is that they will do it.

Who is Galfa anyway? Troll?

@Loki,

What do you mean by Troll? According to Wikipedia, in Internet slang, a Troll is:

“a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages”

Do you honestly believe that my posts are inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic? I just would like to remember all of you that this is a discussion forum, and that discussion means:

“Sharing opinions on subjects that are thought of during a conversation”

More from me soon,

Galfa