Announcement from Great Wall Hobby on their 1/48 F-15B/D kit

Engine humps look good, though the aft speedbrake fairing is still wrong for a B model and the speedbrake well is still recessed ( all 15 kits have this problem) .

I think GWH rep mentioned that speedbrake well recess was a compromise because of the speedbrake's plastic thickness. Thinking about it from a design standpoint so both options can be represented accurately as in well not recessed and speedbrake sitting flush when closed. I'd mold the well as a separate piece and put some positioning tabs in the upper fuselage. So if you want a closed speedbrake, the well won't be in the way for it to sit flush. If you want a deployed speedbrake, glue the well and brake in the correct positions.

( all 15 kits have this problem) .

Not all, Monogram F-15 was accurate in this area.

Radome needs to be perfectly round where it mounts on the forward fuselage

No, it doesn't. I know that you worked on 15s, so your memory is playing tricks, as the radome certainly is not perfectly round where it mounts on the fuselage in the real aircraft.

Not all, Monogram F-15 was accurate in this area.

No, it doesn't. I know that you worked on 15s, so your memory is playing tricks, as the radome certainly is not perfectly round where it mounts on the fuselage in the real aircraft.

Can you imagine if I brought up that the old Monogram kit was although not 100% is the most accurate in shape . The flack when we compare this new and modern technology moulded kit to the Hasegawa kit was enough the last round . Like I said the pics were small on my phone......

Let the Malay commence......

Cheers

I think GWH rep mentioned that speedbrake well recess was a compromise because of the speedbrake's plastic thickness. Thinking about it from a design standpoint so both options can be represented accurately as in well not recessed and speedbrake sitting flush when closed. I'd mold the well as a separate piece and put some positioning tabs in the upper fuselage. So if you want a closed speedbrake, the well won't be in the way for it to sit flush. If you want a deployed speedbrake, glue the well and brake in the correct positions.

They could have moulded the top of the fuselage without the well and made the aft fairing C/D model and A/B model fairing seperate and interchangeable. Yes the speedbrake would have to be thinner but there has been thinner pieces moulded?

Engine humps look good, though the aft speedbrake fairing is still wrong for a B model and the speedbrake well is still recessed ( all 15 kits have this problem) .

Turtle back looks to be more pronounced, excellent.

Radome needs to be perfectly round where it mounts on the forward fuselage maybe just the pictures on my I phone don't do them justice?

So far still a D model only but enjoy just the same....

Cheers

L4815 is history now... you will see the A/B style of speed brake fairing in the coming product very soon...

Saber drains were removed after the first storm to the mid 90's.

Just can't do an early D model and definitely not any B model..

Cheers

Nope...

The very last A and B's (Fiscal year 77-XXX) did have the C-D speed brake fairing.

Hi,

Good to read that some issues have been fixed, but what about all the other mistakes and bad issues of this kit?

But all the other problems have been fixed?

Please check:

---------------------------

GREAT WALL HOBBY 1/48 F-15B/D.

Wrapping up all these hundreds and hundreds of posts. What we - so far - know about this kit.

Update 03:

ECM Cones:

The ECM cone needed for an USAF F-15D is missing.

Top Fuselage JSF Chimmey:

The top fuselage JSF chimney is too long and narrow.

Decals:

USAF crew names misspelled.

Missile Launchers:

LAU-128 missile launchers not included.

Cockpit:

Side consoles way too low and, as a result, dashboards too long.

Under Fuselage:

Both drain pipes are missing, which is correct only for a F-15E but not for an early Eagle.

Surface Detail:

Heavy engraved panel lines and plenty of rivets, but rivets are invisible on the real plane and most of panel lines are barely visible.

Exhaust Nozzles:

Plastic actuators are way too thick, plastic petals are too long. Only one couple of nozzles included. As a result, building an early Eagle out of the box it is not possible.

Engine Humps:

Too much pronounced, bulging laterally too much.

Horizontal Stabilizers:

Heavy reinforcement strips but there are none of such strips on the F-15B/Ds.

Trailing Edges:

Wings, tails, and stabilizers trailing edges are very thick - way over scaled.

Wing mobile surfaces:

Both flaps and ailerons are separate parts but their fit is very poor.

Air Intakes:

Curved air intakes lips but they should be straight.

Wheels:

Early and late kind of wheels but both are wrong bulged so they are useless.

Canopy fairing:

Wrong shape: The canopy fairing slope is too shallow.

Canopy:

Wrong shape: Rear half too long and not enough bulged.

Windshield:

Not bulged and somewhat smaller than it should be.

Seats:

Two kinds of seat are included but both useless because too much tall.

Pilots:

No pilots included.

Intake Trunks:

Trunks are too long and ridiculously narrow in the middle.

Radome:

Way too fat at the tip.

Forward Fuselage:

Forward fuselage sides are just straight, not shaped as according to the area rule (Coke bottle).

Airbrake Fairing:

Only the late kind of airbrake fairing and that is wrong for an F-15B.

Airbrake Underside:

The airbrake underside is recessed but that not the case on the real thing.

Engines:

Both engines included but they look generic, very different from the real ones.

Engine fans and inlets:

Both kind included but fan bladed count is wrong: 14 instead of 21; and 20 instead of 38.

Antennas:

Antennas are typical of a late MSIP Eagle, not of an early F-15B/D.

Weapons:

Weapons loads are wrong for any of the two USAF decals options.

all kits are fatally flawed

real aircraft are not made of plastic

you know it makes sense

Wouldn't that be cool if real aircraft were made of plastic ..... (Some are)

If we were to shrink down an actual 15 to 1/48 the mass would be so much you could not lift it?

But yes I agree that all models are flawed its just some are less flawed then others... :)/>

Cheers

Edited by Ol Crew Dog

Wouldn't that be cool if real aircraft were made of plastic ..... (Some are)

If we were to shrink down an actual 15 to 1/48 the mass would be so much you could not lift it?

But yes I agree that all models are flawed its just some are less flawed then others... smile.gif/>

Cheers

Actually shrinking a real metal 15 down to 1/48 scale respecting the materials and scaling down the thicknesses, it would end up weighting only 3 ounces.

Edited by Inquisitor

Actually shrinking a real metal 15 down to 1/48 scale respecting the materials and scaling the thicknesses, it would end up weighting only 3 ounces.

Depends how you shrink it. If you eliminate all empty space between electrons and the protons in atoms, the Earth would be the size of a football, but still weigh as much.

:)

Jens

Actually shrinking a real metal 15 down to 1/48 scale respecting the materials and scaling down the thicknesses, it would end up weighting only 3 ounces.

An average T/O weight of an F-15 is anywhere from 62,000 to 65,000, overweight above 72,000. 65,000 \ 48 = 1,355 would that be correct?

Depends how you shrink it. If you eliminate all empty space between electrons and the protons in atoms, the Earth would be the size of a football, but still weigh as much.

:)/>

Jens

Isn't physics fun......... :)

An average T/O weight of an F-15 is anywhere from 62,000 to 65,000, overweight above 72,000. 65,000 \ 48 = 1,355 would that be correct?

If the density of the volume is the same then the weight will be the cube root of the scale. If a cube is 1x1x1m, then the volume of a 1:2 scale cube will be 1/(2x2x2) = 1/8 or 1/(2^3). In case of a 1:48 model, the colume will be reduced by 48^3 or 1/110592.

If the average density of the real F-15 would remain constant, then the weight at this reduced volume would be 0.56 lbs based on a TO weight of 62,000 lbs.

Jens

If the density of the volume is the same then the weight will be the cube root of the scale. If a cube is 1x1x1m, then the volume of a 1:2 scale cube will be 1/(2x2x2) = 1/8 or 1/(2^3). In case of a 1:48 model, the colume will be reduced by 48^3 or 1/110592.

If the average density of the real F-15 would remain constant, then the weight at this reduced volume would be 0.56 lbs based on a TO weight of 62,000 lbs.

Jens

Ok still allot of metal to be a half a pound?