Tornado Gr.1 RAF, "Operation Bolton"

Hi all from Chile, South America.

This is my Gr.1 finished some days ago. The model represents the version Gr.1 "late", shortly before the upgrade to standard Gr.4, and the decoration is ZA393 of 14 Squadron based in Brüggen, Germany, and participated in the operation Bolton, Iraq 1998. His military cargo consists of a guided Paveway III "Enhanced" (UK only) and a TIALD designator pod, Sidewinder and Hindenburg type under the wings.

The model has many modifications, I had to resort to a second Revell Tonka to build thrust reversers totally scratch, some aftermarkets Aires were used (cockpit and wells, piped very complicated in the Revell model), the wings are made ​​for the Hasegawa, Airwaves, and adapted with difficulty, also rebuilt section flaps to stay with the effect type "scale steps apart" it also generated the space that houses the airbrakes / controls wing surfaces with a tool I built my partner gently K4. The main petals type airbrakes were detailed on the back side only scratch.

The decals come from different sets, including 14 Squadron symbols drawn from a statement to RAF Phantoms.

The scheme was airbrushed entirely freehand with excellent K4 acrylic paints (the entire model is painted with K4).

I hope the model will enjoy

Finished Model photos:

14_Squadron_RAF_vintildeeta_zps9d3ac3e3.jpg

DSC01678-2_zpsc6d1037e.jpg

DSC01650-2_zps64679b65.jpg

DSC01651-2_zpsf420a940.jpg

DSC01652-2_zpsd0e3dae4.jpg

DSC01653-2_zps3c2d1c0d.jpg

DSC01655-2_zps5408b480.jpg

DSC01656-2_zps16f01683.jpg

DSC01657-2_zps762804ed.jpg

DSC01658-2_zps7a791c72.jpg

Excellent. I saw those very jets at Ali Al Salem AB, Kuwait in Feb 1998 for the Operation Desert Fox build up. In the end, the Ops was cancelled and turned into Desert Fox later that same year.

You captured the look perfectly.

Great work!

Jeff

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dear spike7451, regarding your comments on your message:

1. ... the blow in doors on the intakes should be closed,they are spring loaded,you'd never see the thrust reversers deployed like that:

Yes sir, you are right, but consider that this is a static scale model representing a jet in particular, trying to highlight its main features; clearly, in the daily operation we will never see a Tonka in this condition. On the other hand, I like that look a 'unreal' condition that highlights the complexity of the aircraft.

2. ... undercarraige & gear bays are gray:

Yes sir, here we have a small mistake because the gray I used is apparently too light.

3. ... the shape of the BOZ pod is wromg,it's too blunt,not 'pointy' enough:

We can not forgive this Revell´s mistake!!! ... I want my money back!!! :doh:/>

Anyway, thanks for your words ;)/>

Hernán

Edited by Goku

Great work overall,but I really like the FOD covers...

Can you tell us how you make them?

Thanks again guys.

The FOD covers was made with Tamiya´s putty, I was modeling with different tools; I first plugged inlets with plasticard to have a good base where modeling putty.

TamiyaPuttyQuickType_zps02440008.jpg

Cheers!!! ;)/>