Fujimi F-4E nose angle . .

I would appreciate advice on which is the correct angle for an F-4E (for Turkish KARA SAHIN):

2w6e1c7.jpg

The drawing show a distinct(?)slope of the nose as compared to the Fujimi which looked (to me!) straight... I can't find side on photo of the real Kara Sahin to confirm the nose angle... Many thanks in advance...

Farouk

The Fujimi kit nose angle is WRONG.

All F-4Es have the same downward angle and the turkish examples are no exception.

I corrected the nose angle on one I have by partially sawing the nose and adding a spacer to keep it in position. The rest was later filled with super glue and two-part epoxy putty. Here's a pic with the old-tool Hasegawa kit for comparison purposes:

IMG_5980Rch.jpg

HTH,

Jorge.

Judging by the line drawing, I'd say this is the 1/72 kit. I have a few of these in my stash ( mostly F-4EJs)and I didn't know the Fujimi Phantoms had this problem. It alsmost looks as if they molded the nose part of the kit upside down* .

Thanks for the heads-up, Farouk. And Jorge, thanks for the pic of how to rectify this problem. :thumbsup:

I'm wondering if I can get someone to make a resin copy of the Hasegawa nose & graft it into the Fujimi one. Or perhaps Aires/Quickboost might be interested in making a replacement nose. After all, they made replacement cockpits for the Fujimi 1/72 Tomcats.

* This reminds of something I read on an aircraft magazine. When the F-4 Phantom was first delivered to US units,--- because it was so different from other sleek, single pilot jet fighters of that time,-- one pilot commented that "it was so ugly, I wondered if it was delivered upside down!" :D

Now he tells me! :doh:/>

Thanks for the insight, Jorge! :cheers:/>

No chance that the proposed rectifying measure messes with the nose profile/ line creating a noticeable kink at the bottom, eh!?

Edited by niki4703

All F-4Es have the same downward angle and the turkish examples are no exception.

I corrected the nose angle on one I have by partially sawing the nose and adding a spacer to keep it in position. The rest was later filled with super glue and two-part epoxy putty. Here's a pic with the old-tool Hasegawa kit for comparison purposes:

IMG_5980Rch.jpg

HTH,

Jorge.

Thanks so much, Jorge, for settling my doubts, and the superb "how to" correction...I'm taking cue from your illustration to correct my 72nd Fujimi F-4E Phantom..

Also, thanks to everyone for clarifying my doubts... Keep well

Farouk

Thanks all for the comments.

The Fujimi kit is nice, but has a couple of issues.

The most notorious to me is that of the insufficient downward nose angle. Strangely, in spite of the fact that the kit has been around for so long, I have never found any mention of this problem in the past.

In retrospect, it would/could have been wiser to perform the surgery a bit closer to the canopy than I did, but I noticed the issue after the fuselage had been assembled and the side intakes installed, and I did not want to risk damaging the latter. My correction makes the nose look very nice now in my opinion, but could be made to look even better if more of the nose is deflected downwards.

For those attempting the mod, please note that both the angle of the nose cone panel line and also the line where the black part of the radome ends should be corrected so that they are "vertical" when viewed from the side.

Graphic1ccrch.jpg

And here's a view comparing my mod to the nose of a new-tool Hasegawa F-4G. It is an improvement but still not perfect because of the place I chose to make the partial cut:

IMG_7377Rcrch.jpg

Hope this is of help to potential long-nose Fujimi F-4 builders.

Best wishes to all,

Jorge. :cheers:

Edited by f4h1phantom

Thanks all for the comments.

The Fujimi kit is nice, but has a couple of issues.

The most notorious to me is that of the insufficient downward nose angle. Strangely, in spite of the fact that the kit has been around for so long, I have never found any mention of this problem in the past.

In retrospect, it would/could have been wiser to perform the surgery a bit closer to the canopy than I did, but I noticed the issue after the fuselage had been assembled and the side intakes installed, and I did not want to risk damaging the latter. My correction makes the nose look very nice now in my opinion, but could be made to look even better if more of the nose is deflected downwards.

For those attempting the mod, please note that both the angle of the nose cone panel line and also the line where the black part of the radome ends should be corrected so that they are "vertical" when viewed from the side.

Graphic1ccrch.jpg

And here's a view comparing my mod to the nose of a new-tool Hasegawa F-4G. It is an improvement but still not perfect because of the place I chose to make the partial cut:

IMG_7377Rcrch.jpg

Hope this is of help to potential long-nose Fujimi F-4 builders.

Best wishes to all,

Jorge. :cheers:/>

Many, many thanks, Jorge!!!

Farouk

• 4 weeks later...

Hi:

Here are images of the result of the nose surgery I did on my Fujimi's Phantom kit taking cue from Jorge's example:

122kumf.jpg

ngcck1.jpg

(Many thanks, Jorge)!

and . . . is the profile (outline) in the drawing accurate that it warrants the correction in the shape of the rudder/fin?! Thanks in advance for any confirmation on this...

Regards to all...

Farouk