Space Helmet Models' 1/6th Moonwalker

One sixth is pretty big, eh? So that's just about a foot tall?

Let me offer a couple of observations ...

It would be nice if you showed us how it was built Steve ... how any parts, how many pieces .... what didja do to it?

But at that size, it seems you may have missed a few things. There's a stowage bag on his left thigh that doesn't seem to be there.

The 'belt' buckle' ... I can't see it on the model or is the paint just missing?

And the reflection of the RSU is a little too overpowering ... it comes up way too high on the faceplate.

And it may be a factor of the photo's angle, but his legs look a little too squat ... a little outta proportion.

... and then little things like the 'D'rings on the OPS and the antenna ...

Here's a full frontal of Mr Cernan for comparison ...

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/AS17-140-21390.jpg

Any pix of the model's from the side?

I hafta the say, though, the sculpting is terrific! But I'm also curious what you started with ...

Thanx alot Steve.

Pete

Very nice. Great job painting it. I'll have to check his stuff out.

I kind of agree that the legs appear a little too stubby. But that seems to be common among astronaut models. Most of the kits I've seen have the legs looking too short. It's a pretty hard look to get because the suits are very bulky. But basic human anatomy proportions still have to be correct.

Bill

Very nice. My only comment would be that the figure should get "dirtier" towards the bottom, the legs got a lot more lunar dust than the upper torso. See the above linked photo for an example.

Thanks all for the positive comments. He was built for a friend who is a teacher and moon dust was purposely left off as the figure will be handled quite a bit. The sculptor is Ignacio Bernacera Alpera who does all of the figures for Tom at New Ware.

Hi Steve,

That really is a very nice piece of work you have achieved there. I like the visor reflection very much indeed. Will you make a base for your model ? It does stand up nicely on its own however. But a base..............yes............?

I received my Moonwalker from Ignacio a couple of days ago and it is a superb sculpt......absolutely perfect for super detailing.

To comment on Pete's observations though if I may : first the legs

Your photo(s) does make the model's appear somewhat squat, but just photo distortion. This is perhaps exacerbated by the small amount of excess resin at the crutch which you do not appear to have removed, about an 1/8"....just part of the mold/casting process I guess.

The stowage bag/pocket on the left leg is there Pete but Ignacio has sculpted it somewhat shallow, probably a compromise necessary again for the mold/casting process. Easy enough to alter. Or did you mean the other bag on the lower part of the leg ? That is a separate piece and not fitted here.

Everything else you mention is there but some of it eg the antenna, has to be added; Just all part of the additional detailing.

The best detail ref' for this particular A7LB suit I have found is from the Smithsonian which I was lucky enough to visit a couple of years ago :

http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/artifact.cfm?object=nasm_A19740133000

Cheers

John

Edited by johnbuck

Thanks for the info John, I agree the sculpting on this thing looks incredible. I only wish the one I attempted would have come out half as good as Ignacio's sculpting. Oh well, that's what practicing is all about. I hope to see your build of this in the GB John.

Thanks again for posting Steve, really really great work on a subject that I feel there isn't enough of!

Bill

John thanks for the review and kind words, the resin below the entrance zipper cover flap is actually part of the leg material where both legs are touching, if you look the build done by Ignacio on his facebook page it is the same. There is an additional stowage bag with the kit for his left thigh but my friend who owns this did not want it on. This was a build straight out of the box with no additional detail work. The antenna is present if you look closely in the first picture and since it was not glued on it fell off prior to the remaining pictures being taken. The base is being built by the owner and Ignacio is selling one for specifically for this figure. The left upper thigh pocket that Ignacio sculpted is identical to the one on the real suit but it appears that Cernan wore an additional one during the E.V.A.'s which is actually included with the kit.

Bill thank you too for your words of encouragement. You did one heck of a nice job on your figure :salute:/>

Here is a link to his facebook page.

Edited by stevenichols