1/48th Kinetic CF-5D Freedom Fighter

Hi guys,

I just got this kit in the mail today, and I couldn't wait to start building it. Needless to say, as a fan of Canadian military aircraft, a two-seat F-5 has been high on the wishlist for a number of years. Now, it's finally on the workbench!

I started off with the cockpit. The tub is nicely done, with raised detail on the side panels, as well as the front and back instrument panels. In addition, there is sidewall detail on the front fuselage halves, which includes the handles for opening and closing the canopies.

_MG_1270_zpsc90a6aa7.jpg

I also went ahead and assembled the rear fuselage halves. One thing to note here. If you are building a Canadair built CF-5D (NF-5D), you must not use parts D24 and D25. All Canadair built two-seaters had the same auxiliary intakes, located above the trailing edge of the wings, as the single-seaters. So, remember to use parts E7 and E8 for the open intakes or E9 and E10 for the closed intakes. Also, when adding these inserts, I'd recommend gluing in a couple of thin strips of scrap plastic. This will ensure that the inserts fit flush with the fuselage.

_MG_1271_zps2e29eb45.jpg

Wings go together exactly the same as the F-5A kit.

_MG_1272_zpsdba1f178.jpg

I also went ahead and glued the intake trunks together, and set those aside to dry for now.

_MG_1273_zpsbf188217.jpg

Other than that, the CF-5D is already taking shape. I'm not sure what I will do for markings as of yet. I'd really like to do one of the aggressor schemes on this one. The kit comes with four different options for Canadian jets, one in the Faux Pas scheme, the early ghost scheme, the Lizard scheme and the aluminium and red scheme. In addition, I have the aluminium scheme from Leading Edge, and the variegated green/grey wrap around scheme, also from Leading Edge, to choose from. I guess that means I'll have to buy a couple more kits!

_MG_1274_zps35da2507.jpg

_MG_1275_zps213ebe11.jpg

_MG_1276_zps81f34380.jpg

In any case, hope you enjoy the photos so far. If you're a fan of two-seat early F-5s, don't wait....go get this kit!

One of my friends ordered the kit from Lucky model and got a sepaerate sprue (outside the kit box) with a new set of transparencies, the kit ones did have the flow lines issue... I ordered three kits and my transparencies are all fine...

Great work Colin, keep us posted... :salute:/>

Edited by yvesff