1/72 B5N Kate (Hasegawa/Mania)

Hey all.

I promised Pete I'd build something for this GB, and I'm kinda late! So as a background, I've been building A6M2s from the Zuikaku as a bit of a project:

8E09_zps376900ba.jpg

I have two boxes of the hasegawa B5N2 Kate kits with a resin 800kg Bomb. The in-box scheme is for an Akagi aircraft at Pearl Harbour, which doesn't really help (I'll take a photo of it later)

However rising decals just put out a new decal sheet for Carrier Torpedo bombers, which had a Zuikaku high level bomber scheme perfect for my group build.

RD_72-059_instruction.jpg

I'm also using eduard's massive photo etch set from 1997, that basically revamps the entire interior of the aircraft.

8H09_zpsb6b4f4aa.jpg

The missing sidewall is on the aircraft.... so lets get to the good stuff. The interior with the photo etch is really detailed. Seats, radios, instrument panels control columns, 1/2 of the floor, the sidewalls and ammo drums get replaced.

8J17_zpsf413f06d.jpg

8J18_zps728bc8b5.jpg

Afterwards, I started assembling the model. Since this aircraft will be on the carrier, I decided to have the wings folded as the photo-etch set offers that as an option. Its a bit of artistic license: I haven't seen many photos of them in that state on the deck (I think its largely for when they are inside the hanger.) I needed to add some filler in the wings in order to keep someone from looking through the wings.

8J20_zpsd304f7f5.jpg

I then cut the wings with my trusty razor saw:

8J21_zps992d3fdd.jpg

I then hit my first big problem: The canopy doesn't fit. A friend of mine has an extra one, and its on its way to me now. so I decided to continue painting it as best I could:

8K5_zps260ef7bd.jpg

And that's where its at today. I think I can get it done soon after the weekend, a bit late, but pretty good.