Carmel Attard's Vickers Vildebeest & New Zealand connection

Nice build of an important Aircraft, especially in RNZAF service.

Need to correct Carmels comments on RNZAF Vildebeest & Vincent airframe numbers.

Vickers Vildebeest, RNZAF received 39 aircraft comprising Mk's I-IV

Serial Numbers NZ101 - NZ139

Mk I x 3 Aircraft

Mk II x 2 Aircraft

Mk III x 16 Aircraft

Mk IV x 18 Aircraft

Vickers Vincent, RNZAF recieved 61 Aircraft, & built 62nd Airframe from spares

Serial numbers NZ300 - NZ361

Regards

Alan

Didn't have clue what you were on about to begin with Alan, then it slowly filtered through that it was a comment on an article on the home page. I tend to come here via a link in my bookmarks to "View new pages", I should know by now that when people seem to be discussing things that don't exist, that they do & thats where I'll find them. I'm impressed with what he's done with this, I've one in my stock, not sure if it'll ever get made with a couple of Azur ones in stock but hey. I'll have spare decals for it if I do. :)

Steve.

Didn't have clue what you were on about to begin with Alan, then it slowly filtered through that it was a comment on an article on the home page. I tend to come here via a link in my bookmarks to "View new pages", I should know by now that when people seem to be discussing things that don't exist, that they do & thats where I'll find them. I'm impressed with what he's done with this, I've one in my stock, not sure if it'll ever get made with a couple of Azur ones in stock but hey. I'll have spare decals for it if I do. :)/>/>

Steve.

Steve,

I simply commented on these two excerps form Carmels post

There were four versions of the Vildebeest. Mk1, 2 and 4 carried a crew of 2 while Mk3 carried a crew of 3. 181 Vildebeest were built while New Zealand purchased 50 Mk3s and 8 Mk4s.
Vincents were to replace Wapitis and Fairey IIIFs in ground attack duties. A third seat position was brought into use giving the Vincent a more versatile role. 191 airframes were built or were converted from Vildebeest. New Zealand received 21 Vincents.

It's quite simple, the numbers quoted are not correct.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan, yes I got that eventually, once I had figured out what you were referring to. It took me a bit to figure out it was a comment on "Todays Birds", I guess the thread header should be a give away but somtimes I don't see things for looking. As I don't come to threads via the home page like many, its occasionally not clear what posters are referring to. Without wanting to be a nark, I do wish references to todays birds came with a link, it would make it plainer for those like me who have bookmarked "view new content'. :)

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...