Converting Trumpeter's HU16-A into an HU-16B?

It is not impossible, but it would be difficult. The -B has longer wings (difficult to extend with scratchbuilding because of the camber) and a higher tail. Unless you really must have it now, I suggest waiting for the inevitable Trumpeter SA-16B release. FYI, I (Caracal Models) will be releasing a second SA-16A/UF-1 sheet an April, with markings for an early USCG example that could be used on the Trumpeter SA-16A. It is not the later scheme that most people associate with Coast Guard Albatrosses, though.

Trumpeter will eventually release a SA-16B, and soon afterwards I will release Japanese and Coast Guard markings for it.

It is not impossible, but it would be difficult. The -B has longer wings (difficult to extend with scratchbuilding because of the camber) and a higher tail. Unless you really must have it now, I suggest waiting for the inevitable Trumpeter SA-16B release. FYI, I (Caracal Models) will be releasing a second SA-16A/UF-1 sheet an April, with markings for an early USCG example that could be used on the Trumpeter SA-16A. It is not the later scheme that most people associate with Coast Guard Albatrosses, though.

Trumpeter will eventually release a SA-16B, and soon afterwards I will release Japanese and Coast Guard markings for it.

Thanks for the replies Gents! I am in no rush. I will wait for Trumpeter to release the "B" version and look forward to your USCG set of decals for that version.

David

I hope that will include the attractive Coast Guard markings:

I will do both the 1959 (shown in your photo) and 1968 schemes, but only when Trumpeter actually releases the SA-16B version. The sheet that is currently being printed only has the pre-1959 scheme.

Edited by KursadA