detailed flapsand slats wings

Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding models with detailed wings: is there any 144 airliner model (no matter if it's Boeing or Airbus) featured with deployed flaps/slats "from the box"?

I want to avoid getting aftermarket wings, considering that opinions on them are usually "average".

Anyway,in case nobody features these "flapped models from the box":

- Any other aftermarket wings-with-flaps-deployed manufacturer besides Contrails?

- Any good opinions on Contrails wings (either the B737NG or the A320) to encourage me to purchase a kit?

Thank you!

Hi Peter,

So far as I know, there is no 1/144 airliner with deployed flaps/slats out of the box. However, that might change soon. Last year Zvezda announced a new a320 and Il-62. Based on the 3D renders for the molds, it looks like it should have the option of deployed flaps (I don't recall the slats, but presumably they will be also extended). Neither kit is out yet, but it seems like they should be hitting the counters soon, at least I hope. For the rest, it is either Contrails conversions, as you noted, or scratch build. I have a set of the a320 contrails wings, and they have some major problems. One of the main wings is not straight and has a downward 'bulge' about mid way through. I am just planning to use it as a template to recreate a new flaps and spoilers from plasticard.

HTH

Jan

Peter,

As Jan says nothing is available at the moment out of the box, and the Contrails wings are the only after market for civil aircraft that I am aware of. There are quite a few talented modellers that do their own and I know there are a couple of threads here on ARC that deal with cutting up wings to deploy flaps and slats.

I believe it is easier to do the Airbus types since they don't use the triple slotted set up on most Boeing aircraft.

Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding models with detailed wings: is there any 144 airliner model (no matter if it's Boeing or Airbus) featured with deployed flaps/slats "from the box"?

I want to avoid getting aftermarket wings, considering that opinions on them are usually "average".

Anyway,in case nobody features these "flapped models from the box":

- Any other aftermarket wings-with-flaps-deployed manufacturer besides Contrails?

- Any good opinions on Contrails wings (either the B737NG or the A320) to encourage me to purchase a kit?

Thank you!

Good evening,

I do not work on 1/144th, but I could help you with 1/200th.

If you are ever tempted !

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=231458

Cheers.

AV O

Edited by AV O

This is humorous. Back in about 1995 I tried to get masters made so I could market resin wings with flaps/slats deployed for the airliner kits that existed at the time. Not a single customer expressed the slightest interest in them, so I gave up on it. Everyone said they wanted their airliner models clean.

• 2 weeks later...

This is humorous. Back in about 1995 I tried to get masters made so I could market resin wings with flaps/slats deployed for the airliner kits that existed at the time. Not a single customer expressed the slightest interest in them, so I gave up on it. Everyone said they wanted their airliner models clean.

Or was it that they would have been afraid of cutting a model into pieces, making a mess out of it and spoiling it in such a way that the parts they bought would have been unsusable or useless ?

There are ways to do it in a clean way other than with cutters or hobby saws.

But you have to choose :

Either you buy a second model kit and take it apart to build you own parts with more or less luck and success.

Or you could have got a set of the said parts you were refering to.

But as you say it, we must admit that not everybody likes those airplanes with everything hanging out.

I do : I think that displayed this way, they look alive.

Edited by AV O