Academy F-15E: Looking For Ideas!

OK, I suppose this sounds a bit dumb, but...

I have the 1/48 Academy F-15E, the old 'With Weapon' boxing like this one. I have cannibalised the FAST Pack blisters for another (unsuccessful) application, and wondered what I could do with the rest as a future project. The kit has both kinds of exhaust cans, I can arrange other minor modifications if needed

The obvious answer is probably an F-15DJ, as the kit approximates that quite closely anyway, but maybe the Eagle Experten familiar with this kit could point me at another possible variant; maybe something early/unusual...?

All ideas gratefully received!

I'd suggest the F-15 ACTIVE purely because of its awesome paint scheme, but sourcing the decals would be a problem (unless you want to make it a WHIF) and I'm not sure if the Academy kit has the same specs for that airframe.

Finally...

The ACTIVE uses canard flight systems. You can make those out of scrap F-18 horizontal stabilizers. It would be rather hard to do the ACTIVE because of limited references, to be honest.

Edited by Just4kiks

Many thanks for the suggestions, gents. I must admit, the ACTIVE had not occurred to me...that would make a cool project, but like White Wolf said sourcing the markings might be tricky...

Looking like some sort of B/D at the moment, most likely a 'Blue Flanker' Bad Guy...

It's strange there are so few a/m decals for these (in the UK, anyway -they mostly cover Cs and Es). Maybe the new GWH kit will precipitate some more interesting stuff!

I noticed a shortage of decals for American planes, especially Navy ones. It seems weird, take for instance the F-8E I was looking at decals at hannants and I found 2 sheets for it that's American and 1 French, went to sprue brothers and they had loads but shipping was the same price as the decals so put me off. Whats going on here with the shortage?

Does it have bulging MLG doors and fatter MLG tires?

Does it have a harmonic counterweight thingy on the FLG?

Does is have the sensors on the rear fuselage tips of a Strike Eagle?

If the answers are 'no', then you have an F-15B/D.

For the Academy kit the answer to all three Qs is No.

Oh; Thanks for further clarifying 70.gif .

BTW; How come?

I would love to do an active 15 if I had a Accurate B model to start off with, that's all go for it, 71-0291 was modified to D model standards for the E model prototype except the speedbrake aft fairing.

Cheers

Dave

I would love to do an active 15 if I had a Accurate B model to start off with, that's all go for it, 71-0291 was modified to D model standards for the E model prototype except the speedbrake aft fairing.

Cheers

Dave

Some man did scratch build one. I must admit, the thrust vectoring nozzles can be challenging. A project like this would defo be hard.

http://f104.ath.cx/f-15/f-15smtd_48.htm

His model looks nice next to the F-16XL model : )

Great links, White Wolf!

Edited by Just4kiks

I just want to thank everyone again for all the input -particularly the awesome photos from Check Six (wow!).

Having managed to procure a DXM Decal Sheet (the proverbial offer I couldn't refuse), the spangly DJ wins. I know, I know, so middle-of-the-road I get hit by a truck, but it is a decent return for little effort and will stand out from my planned -A, -C and -E efforts.

Just need the time to get into it now!

I just want to thank everyone again for all the input -particularly the awesome photos from Check Six (wow!).

Having managed to procure a DXM Decal Sheet (the proverbial offer I couldn't refuse), the spangly DJ wins. I know, I know, so middle-of-the-road I get hit by a truck, but it is a decent return for little effort and will stand out from my planned -A, -C and -E efforts.

Just need the time to get into it now!

Awesome!

Will be looking forward to it.

• 2 months later...

Change of plan. Of course.

Just acquired a Hasegawa JASDF kit at a too-good-to-miss price on eBay. That will make a better job of the Japanese Aggressor: it has the correct -D rear instrument panel, etc. as far as I can see.

I figured that with the right feather-clad exhausts and some marginal tweaking, I could wrestle the Academy kit into something resembling the prototype -E. The Euro 1-ish colors would look great amongst my other efforts.

Like this fella.

Strangely, what I can't seem to find via the internet is what kind of seats are required. The ones in the photo don't look like the ACES type.

If anyone has any thoughts about that, I'd welcome their advice...

Thanks for looking!

Edited by ChippyWho