Classic Airframe 1/48 F-5A in Silver VNAF color

Thank you for the effort to create the subject of ‘Bare it All’ group build.

I would like to enter my build with Classic Airframe 1/48 scale F-5A kit in silver with VNAF color.

Here are some of her pictures during the time of late war (72-75) I guess…

let_models :)/>

F5A_FUA_zpse2190d03.jpg[/url]

F5A_SILVER12075_zpsf7d292f8.jpg[/url]

Edited by let_models

I got the kit last year on a model show, it was a bag kit no decal but I had a very good deal, that would make me

thinking I have to build it very soon. My plan is going for a VNAF F-5 but not decide what is the color yet...some

thing with a simple marking I can get, because I have to find other decal source to deal with it. I started the kit

last Nov/2013 and until now the progress up to this much… hope it should be OK for the group build,

also I did take some other built record pictures during the works for last of couple of months like:

the cockpit, and fixing some of the issues when I go along... I will show you next!

let_models :)

uptill_progress_zps58c9a12c.jpg

Edited by let_models

First thanks 'falcon20driver' for accepting this is my entry on the group build, first I would like posting some WIP on and off during last of coupe months ago, then I'll continue working with the kit...here they are:

trimrudder_zpse4cd1039.jpg

Trim off the angle on the rudder little, recommended by some fellow ARC members.

eng_exsaust_bottm_zps5f534272.jpg

Make the area of bottom side engines more deeper.

53862b9f-6077-4437-8bd2-8bb5f4046253_zps142b8d22.jpg

Test fit the kit resin cockpit tub and replace with early ejection seat, I think from AMS resin?

CA_F5A_cockpit_zpsb7a1af4d.jpg

Complete painting cockpit and seat, the seat look fantastic with seat belt include!

Edited by let_models

I did have some work on the kit, here is some up date:

sanding_chkspeedbrake.jpg

Resin bit of main wheel wells and speed brake installed, check and sanding to flush with the fuselage, also I cut the slat and flap on both wings.

open_holes.jpg

I did manage to open the air scoop slot on top both sides of the fuselage, it's very delicate work on them.

chutedoor.jpg

CA kit doesn't have those parts, I scratched this chute door and modify some vent on bottom of the engine exhaust.

eng_exsaust.jpg

Try fit the kit resin engine exhaust, note: some styrene sheet using for seaming on some gaps.

after review the reference photos of the F-5A, I saw the wing tip tanks has little bit with downward angle position,

I decided to modify the kit tank mounting slot with the small angle as well...

89107del.jpg

FAV1.jpg

here is the modification for the kit wing tip tank.

F5A_modwtank.jpg

I try to tackle some other small issues, one is bring to my attention: I find out later the kit was missing one of

the wing pylon, I look through my spare parts box, and lucky enough found one for replacement, clean it up and here it is...

F5A_pylon.jpg

I think the process so far so good as in this stage, I painted black color for anti-glare of the nose yesterday, then start masking the area to be ready for overall painting the whole model next. (note: I installed the landing gears before painting)

masking.jpg

Edited by let_models

Here we go, I painted the model with Tamiya XF16 flat aluminum, it's very good for fast dry and easy to handle

the model, I got a total of 2 coats and let it dry for whole day...

paintsilveer.jpg

it's shaping up with 'bare it all'...

paintsilver3.jpg

Just checking, looking good on main wheel wells resin bit, it was a big fit issue and night mare process.

paintsilver2.jpg

here's again look like 'bare it all' to me!

note: it bring an attention to me, the kit center tanks look really an odd shape, little small I guess. May be this version for different F-5A variant?

I'll get back with this later. Next step will be making the custom decal. It's a fun process!

paintsilver4.jpg

Edited by let_models
  • 2 weeks later...

I start using the profile drawing of this aircraft as you seen on the top of this thread to make the decal. I put the file

on Photo Deluxe program and editing it, print it out on a sheet of paper and try play around for scale to fit. Most of

the works when very easy and ready to print to stock decal paper...

Decal.jpg

tailcode.jpg

...all I need to focus is the tail code letter, SN and the flag, here is a test fit on the rudder!

Decaltest.jpg

...for the star & bar I had my custom decal sheet which I made for them before, I will use it again!

decalsheet.jpg

Weathering1.jpg

Also I did weathering the model with very light acrylic black/yellow mixing, it was alive after that...

Weathering.jpg

that's all for now and will show you the decal apply to the model next! :)

Edited by let_models

Really nice work on the build-up of this kit. It has many faults, like the tail area with its absence of drag chute cover and poor fit overall. I'm also impressed with your creation of the decals. :thumbsup:

ALF

Thank you for your comment falcon20driver! and appreciate your world ALF18! To continue with the build, after a coat of gloss clear I start with the decals as you see in here:

Gun_weathering.jpg

Star and bar decals go in place...

Decalin.jpg

...Next was the tail decals section, it when very smoothly.

Decalin2.jpg

I apply some decal set and pressed them flat.

Decalin3.jpg

In this stage the decals process are complete!

F5A_decaldone.jpg

F5A_decaldone1.jpg

I start painting 1st layer of wing tip tanks in SEA camo., Added with some details.

F5AmodWtiptank1.jpg

and check for their position...looking good so far!

F5A_tiptankchk.jpg

since CA kit don't have any thing on the tip of the wing, I added a small plastic piece for easy mounting the tanks to it.

F5A_tiptankbracket.jpg

Also I replaced the kit gun barrels with Monogram F-5F for better look.

gun_holes1.jpg

Here is it, after the wheels and landing gear doors are in, it stand on it own and the shape look like an F-5A to me.

F5A_tiptankchk1.jpg

This is another picture of her..err!! the kit center tank look odd and I need a new one desperately, I'll show you what I'm going to do with it next! :)

F5A_pylonchk.jpg

Edited by let_models

Thanks falcon20driver for the kind of word! and thanks SERNAK for stop by and cheer up!... :)

Yes! you are right, that's why I didn't paint with many shade panels on my F-5A, and with a solid

color it just look more realistic in life!

After apply another coat of gloss layer, I set the model a side and plan to work on the center tank, 1st I try looking on the Kinetic kit, err...it was the same as of CA kit, I have to scratch built it, I took a 1/32 scale bomb left over from an F-5E kit, I cut off short little then reattach and sanding until...

F5A_modicentertank.jpg

...until the shape of the tank look right!

F5A_modcentertank1.jpg

I think I need to save my work on the center tank for the other kit, and also have a copy to my fellow ARC friends too, I decided making it is a master part, for multiple copies...

F5A_centertankpart.jpg

Here is it, the master part lay neat on a case and ready for silicon mold next!

F5A_centertankpart1.jpg

Edited by let_models

here is it: I called this is a success copy parts process :)

F5A_centertank_copy.jpg

...and this's just a compare between the kit center tank and new resin center tank which I called let_models resin tank! :)

centertank_compare.jpg

...and painting it! :)

centertank_compare2.jpg

Continue working on the misc. things, I added some details on the inner frames canopy, scratching the mirrors, It was so small as you see but I'm trying any way,

Also I fixed the mechanism behind the canopy, this was very hard to fit under the canopy, a lot of sanding little by little

until I happy with it...

canopy_framing.jpg

Then painting them, here is the final result.

F5acanopy.jpg

Another dry fitting, this time is an open position on the model, and the ladder too! that's for the delicate work for me on this! don't want to mess with it any more...

canopy_test.jpg

I jump to the ordnance load for the model, I armed it with 2x 19" rocket pods, and 2x750 lbs. bombs and finished the final coat SEA color of wing tip tanks. note: I used the wooden stick for mounting to a drilling hole on the pylon, but not glue it, just press fit them into the pylon...just in case I like to change a different ordnance configuration later!

under_load.jpg

Another look of the ordnance load, I need to wash a weathering coat on them also.

F5aload1.jpg

At this stage the model almost complete, it's approx 90% done except for some little touching up...yeaa hooo...!! :cheers:

Here is another look at her ...that's it until next! :)

F5a_firstlook.jpg

Edited by let_models