Philippine F-8P Colours

I'm finding conflicting information on the original colour scheme for the F-8P fighters used by the PAF. The Squadron walkaround book says semi-gloss Dark Gull Gray FS 26231 over Light Gull Gray FS 26440, but those colours seem too dark. Others suggest semi-gloss Light Gull Gray over white or Light Gull Gray over a very light gray, like FS 26662; the latter seems like the closest match to me. Any ideas which is correct or has somebody seen official documentation?

Deke

Hi Deke,

They were indeed Dk Gull Gray 26231 overLt Gull Gray, 26440. And they were never officially designated as F-8Ps, though it was initially proposed. They retained their F-8H designation and the photo below of 201 sitting at NAS NOrth Island waiting to get loaded on the boat taking them to the PI should demonstrate that. Comparing the white in the PAF national insignia to the two grays should confirm the colors for you. Note that unlike the USN scheme the control surfaces are the same color as the areas surrounding them, specifically note that the upper surface of the UHT (aka horizontal stab is D26231. The wheel wells and gear struts and wingfold areas remain white.

h148661-301unk1078detail-_zpsaf69151a.jpg

HTH,

Tom

Break, Break .......

Murph,

Tried to send you this and a couple other BIG file photos, they bounced back as too big for your mailbox. I will get them to you by an alternative method.

Hi, Deke .. below is my version of PhilAF F-8H. The colors were as suggested by SuperHeat (many thanks again, Superheat)

Regards, Farouk

Forouk,

That is a beautifully done model. Thank you for the information.

Deke