1/72 Brewster B-339E Buffalo I

My second entry is also from Airfix, the 1/72 Brewster Buffalo, an export version known as the B-339E Buffalo Mk 1. This variant was inferior to that ordered by the US Navy and many were passed on from the British to RAAF and RNZAF forces in Malaya and Singapore. The aircraft I will be building was used by No. 453 Squadron RAAF, stationed in Singapore, December 1941.

I've built this kits once before as a US Navy F2A-2. While a bit simple it was a pleasant enough kit to build, so I'm looking forward to giving another a try.

Buffalo1_zpsb186124e.jpg

My second entry is also from Airfix, the 1/72 Brewster Buffalo, an export version known as the B-339E Buffalo Mk 1. This variant was inferior to that ordered by the US Navy and many were passed on from the British to RAAF and RNZAF forces in Malaya and Singapore. The aircraft I will be building was used by No. 453 Squadron RAAF, stationed in Singapore, December 1941.

I've built this kits once before as a US Navy F2A-2. While a bit simple it was a pleasant enough kit to build, so I'm looking forward to giving another a try.

Hi Aaron,

Great topic to build, I have a partially finished 1/32 Special Hobby Buffalo sitting

at my table being built as a 339E.

FILE0858.jpg

The RAAF/RNZAF personell in Malaya/Singapore were Article XV Squadrons (meaning they were RAAF/RNZAF

servicemen/women but under RAF command)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_XV_squadrons#Royal_New_Zealand_Air_Force

The 170 odd 339E Buffalo aircraft were actually purchased from Brewster by the British Ministry of Aircraft Production, and built under contract to include British Air Ministry requirements. Meaning that RAF radio/oxygen systems would be used as well as the installation of Sutton Harness once they arrived in Singapore.

The aircraft were painted instandard RAF colours of Dark Earth/Dark Green/Sky using Air Ministry approved

US colours (Not Grey on the undersides).

Look forward to your build, if you have any questions on the RAF Buffalo let me know.

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • 2 weeks later...

and work progresses on the Buffalo.

Buffalo2_zpsc4439124.jpg

Buffalo3_zps53a76767.jpg

Alan looks like they give you some additional detail to go with the bigger scale. :) Not much inside this old Airfix kit, but makes for a nice uncomplicated model.

The Buffalo gets something of a bad rap. It was not a bad design but it had a lot of issues stacked against it. They actually did ok initially, particularly against the older Japanese fighters like the Ki-27. They were ultimately overwhelmed by superior numbers and dwindling logistical support leading to their rather poor record. The Australians thought enough of it to use a surviving Buffalo to test the new Boomerang's capabilities (my other entry in the GB) as they thought its maneuverability was similar to that of the Japanese Zero.

Hi Aaron,

Coming along nicely.

The RAF/Commonwealth Aircrews though outnumbered managed to score

against the Japanese, Geoff Fisken 5+ kills, Noel Sharp 3 Kills etc

with the Buffalo.

The larger model does have extra parts, but many I had to scratch build.

The Boomerang looks good, my late father worked for CAC (Commonwealth Aircraft

Corporation) who built the Boomerang, at Fishermans Bend in Melbourne.

Some years ago at a family day function, I had the oppertunity to stand

(on what remained) on the airfield where the Bomerangs took off from after

they were ready for dispatch.

Regards

Alan

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Finally an update.

Got the paint on, and starting decals. Hope to have this wrapped up by the end of the week.

I'm sure this kit has been surpassed by newer kits, but I haven't found any serious issues and I can't complain about the price of these old Airfix kits.

Buffalo4_zps54480f59.jpg

Buffalo5_zps3ab0416b.jpg

Buffalo6_zps9a74f0dc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...