Hasegawa 1/72 F-35A

I've been keeping an eye on this one and haven't seen it posted here yet (I did a search - forgive me if this is a repost)

HLJ Hasegawa F-35A

There was some early info from the Nuremberg Toy Fair 2014 as posted at Primeportal.

Looks like one of their "Easy Kits" - downside: cockpit is molded into the upper fuselage, and weapon bays appear to be molded closed. Upside - full intake trunking, and a stand, RAM as decals, and Hasegawa's expected excellence.

Thoughts?

Looks like one of their "Easy Kits" - downside: cockpit is molded into the upper fuselage, and weapon bays appear to be molded closed. Upside - full intake trunking, and a stand, RAM as decals, and Hasegawa's expected excellence.

Thoughts?

Hasegawa probably listened to all the gripes about their "over-engineered" 1/72 kits ( F-14, F-4, etc) and decided to go for a simpler "Easy-kit" approach. The RAM as decals is probably to save time because otherwise, you need to mask & paint those complex shapes. Probably Eduard will step in with paint masks for those who prefer that route.

I think for $25+, the kit looks reasonable. And I'm glad they've started including pilot figures in their kits again.

Hasegawa probably listened to all the gripes about their "over-engineered" 1/72 kits ( F-14, F-4, etc) and decided to go for a simpler "Easy-kit" approach. The RAM as decals is probably to save time because otherwise, you need to mask & paint those complex shapes. Probably Eduard will step in with paint masks for those who prefer that route.

I think for $25+, the kit looks reasonable. And I'm glad they've started including pilot figures in their kits again.

It got a pilot figure, so definitely better than Italeri or Academy kit, even GWHs F-15 :monkeydance:/>

A few years ago, I was really keen to build an F-35. But, the more I look at it, the uglier the plane looks to my eyes. So, at this stage, I doubt I'll be building this to display on my shelf.

But... if someone comes up with an outlandish paint scheme for it, I might change my mind.... :woot.gif:

A few years ago, I was really keen to build an F-35. But, the more I look at it, the uglier the plane looks to my eyes. So, at this stage, I doubt I'll be building this to display on my shelf.

But... if someone comes up with an outlandish paint scheme for it, I might change my mind.... w00t.gif

Interesting; F-35 had the reverse effect on me.

At first I didn't care for it and now it has grown on me.

The more I look at the F-35, the more my initial impression of its aesthetics firms up: from some angles it is beautiful, from other angles it is hideous.

RAM as decals is the only way I'm building any F-35. The faff/gain ratio is just too high otherwise for an already unattractive paint scheme.

Good to see that Hasegawa just maybe are responding to negative feedback in a positive way.

The more I look at the F-35, the more my initial impression of its aesthetics firms up: from some angles it is beautiful, from other angles it is hideous.

I agree with you on that actually. IMHO, F-35 looks pretty good from top or bottom, but from all other angles... not so much! :whistle:

Interesting; F-35 had the reverse effect on me.

At first I didn't care for it and now it has grown on me.

Yup, same here. I had no interest in the plane and wasn't even excited when Fujimi released their 1/72 F-35Bs, but then THIS picture changed my mind:

http://harmoniaphilosophica.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/air_f-35_left_wingover_rear_view_lg.jpg

I saw a high resolution version of above picture somewhere and it somehow turned on a "like" switch in my mind.

Actually, I'm looking forward to the F-35C carrier version of it. Dunno why but I think it looks cooler, sexier and more menacing :)

One thing that I find perplexing is the shape of the EOTS.

I guess the system needs flat surfaces to function proper.

I call it the 'chin chandelier' because it looks like it should be mounted over my dining room table w00t.gif !

F-35-Targeting-System-1-1024x795.jpg

I think I figured out what turned me off F-35.... It's the canopy! I don't know why, but it reminded me of that annoying kid in primary school with disproportionately large head who thought he was Mr Know-it-all! :rofl:

Yup, same here. I had no interest in the plane and wasn't even excited when Fujimi released their 1/72 F-35Bs, but then THIS picture changed my mind:

http://harmoniaphilo...ear_view_lg.jpg

I saw a high resolution version of above picture somewhere and it somehow turned on a "like" switch in my mind.

Actually, I'm looking forward to the F-35C carrier version of it. Dunno why but I think it looks cooler, sexier and more menacing smile.gif

You bring up a good point.

I think the ultra-high resolution pics that I've found on the internet helped switch on my 'like' toggle switch too.

Also; I agree on the F-35C. But I'm biased to U.S.Navy hardware anyway :D/> .

Here's one example (F-35C):

sdd_f35testc_046.jpg

What the...?! Is it the angle or the wings on the "C" variant are considerably larger than A or B?

You're right. The F-35C has enlarged wings and control surfaces and beefed-up landing gear for carrier operations.

What the...?! Is it the angle or the wings on the "C" variant are considerably larger than A or B?

Taking that C photo as example. The A/B wingspan should reach around that C's flaperon actuator fairing under the wing.

Hasegawa probably listened to all the gripes about their "over-engineered" 1/72 kits ( F-14, F-4, etc) and decided to go for a simpler "Easy-kit" approach.

I don't think it has anything to do with that. The second gen F-14 kits were produced at a time when they knew various versions existed: thus they broke it up in order for them to produce all the variants. I'd more likely compare the F-35 to their F-16 and F/A-18E Kits. Their first tooling came out when there were few blocks, and with relatively few overt differences. The result was a kit that was fairly easy to assemble. When Block 40 and 50 came out, they had to create new inserts in order to make them feasible. Then compare the Revell F-16C, and you get a kit, that, while it is not over-engieered, still has more parts to it than the Hasegawa kit. A similar example can be seen with the Hasegawa F/A-18E: it represents an early block aircraft that had relatively few features. They have since had to offer a fret that gives them the later block ECS and instructions on how to rescribe the aircraft to make it accurate.

The F-35 reminds me a lot of the F-16. ITs got a fairly easy shape to mould into two shapes, so they'll do that.They can also be reasonably confident that the F-35's shape will remain roughly the same for quite some time; a result of its low observable shaping. Stuff like the Eurofighter, CV-22 or Su-33 seem to be no less complex than other aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...