PLAAF Chengdu J-20

Pics of the newest J-20 serial on its maiden flight have broken cover. Some interesting adaptations from the two earlier variants, and, most visibly, a dramatically different paint scheme (or possibly a coating instead of paint). No word on whether it can do CAS or not.

This pic and more like it found at China Defense Blog:

(you could also go to the top81 (dot) cn website as watermarked on the photos, but I'd make sure your anti-virus/anti-malware stuff was ridiculously up to date. First hand lesson learned)

012208f41j3a9ooi9m9kj1.jpg

Edited by Waco

First rule of Chinese websites: You don't go to Chinese websites.

Second rule of Chinese websites: You don't go to Chinese websites.

Third rule of Chinese websites: If you go to a Chinese website, make sure you're Chinese.

Some other interesting differences, too... redesigned the nose gear door I see, the shape of the vertical stabilisers, that bump just behind the intake... I see the MLG doors are closed on 2011 though the gear is down - was that seen on the first two? What about the fairing on the wing around where the MLG is - was that on the others? I can't tell from the side view of 2001 there.

Canards look like the corner was clipped along with the stabs Litvyak mentioned. Canopy has the det-chord. Top of the air intakes look slightly adjusted, but that could be camera angle. The extensions/canoes at the tail look lengthened as well.

Has anybody mentioned what the J-20 mission profile is supposed to be? I'd be inclined to use it for hitting tankers, AWACs, and transports, with some light anti-shipping missile delivery or SEAD/DEAD on the side if the bays are large enough to handle such.

Some other interesting differences, too... redesigned the nose gear door I see, the shape of the vertical stabilisers, that bump just behind the intake... I see the MLG doors are closed on 2011 though the gear is down - was that seen on the first two? What about the fairing on the wing around where the MLG is - was that on the others? I can't tell from the side view of 2001 there.

Tooth number has been changed everywhere. Tooth spacing and number of them is very important vs frequency. MLG doors started to get closed after lg was lowered (and during taxing) with second prototype, 2002. The fairing close to MLG was there on previous prototypes, but on opposite side.

Canards look like the corner was clipped along with the stabs Litvyak mentioned. Canopy has the det-chord. Top of the air intakes look slightly adjusted, but that could be camera angle. The extensions/canoes at the tail look lengthened as well.

Intakes are very different yeah. The extensions are longer and wider. There are better shots showing intake difference but this is a cool picture:

lJ30Dx7.jpg