Revell 1/144 Fokker 100 Virgin Australia | Puttying engines

Hello everbody,

This is my subject for the GB:

VH-FSQ

Skywest operates a pair of Fokker 100's on behalf of Virgin Australia since 2013. As I am happy to see these birds still being operated downunder and I like the various Virgin design around the globe, I immediately decided to model one of their F100's when I learned about them being painted in full Virgin colors. Fortunately our RICHW designed a decal already, and I only had to ask him to update the registration.

This GB obviously is the ideal opportunity to take a kit from the pile and turn plastic into a scale model. In the meanwhile an envelope is crossing the Northsea to my house. Once delivered I should have everything to complete this build, which shouldn't take very long as the kit is quite accurate and the previous F100's I have build all went together rather easy. Moreover are the fuselage, wings and tail all white, except for the leading edges, so painting hopefully won't give too many problems.

Now I'll need to find out how to upload pictures, so you can all enjoy the progress of his build.

More to come soon...

Ingmar

Edited by FokkerFan

Time for the the first progress picture. Since the kit doesn't come with a cockpit, I need to scratch build something myself. It doesn't need to be as detailed as you would do for a jet figther. The most important to me is that the view into the cabin is blocked and that the two pilot seats appear in the cockpit.

Out of some evergreen sheet I have cut a floor and a wall. The interior is painted grey only for the purpose of darkening it. The paint job is done quickly and not much will be seen after the two fuselages halves have been glued together.

DSC_0002_zpsec887083.jpg

Now let's create some seats.

That's it for now. To be continued.

Ingmar

Edited by FokkerFan

Last week the decal arrived and it looks very sharp. I must say that Ricahrd is very quick with dispatching. This is what it looks like.

1fa38707-2997-413e-8982-63c5b652766f_zpse075dc78.jpg?t=1394382964

I hope the decal will go on smoothly, but first let's get the kit together.

• 4 weeks later...

Progress is going slow in this build, but it is there nonetheless. I have been working on the subassemblies such as the wings and engines. Not very interesting for pictures however.

What is interesting (I think) is the progress I made today to the cockpit. With some surplus milliput I made the interior of the cockpit. It is maybe difficult to see in the below picture but I can't open the cockpit now as the miliput needs to harden. You just have to trust me that is there. Better pictures will come some other time.

Sint-Michielsgestel-20140405-00389_zpsc4551075.jpg?t=1396729407

I also made the seats out of some evergreen.

Sint-Michielsgestel-20140405-00390_zps61cff6fe.jpg?t=1396729439

These will be inserted after the milliput has hardened. I hope they will still fit in.

More to come soon.

• 2 weeks later...

The cockpit is slowly getting shape. It has been painted in the meanwhile but because the right side is glued to the fuselage it is difficult to move the brush in the right position and I keep hitting the floor when painting the intrument panel and vice versa. So a picture of the finished cockpit will come later.

Sint-Michielsgestel-20140406-00391_zpsec21f736.jpg

Although Revell's Fokker 100 release is quite accurate and crisp, the engines are unfortunately the exceptions to this rule. Shape wise it is not too bad, but intake on het number one engine has a strange lumb. Also don't the left and right parts not match up correctly so a lot of filler is needed in order to get a nice smooth transition.

c67e51fd-0111-4f41-ab98-c89d82934b2a_zps06bc8130.jpg?t=1397589385

I'll make a picture of the intake tomorrow, the battery of the camera is empty now :(/>

Edited by FokkerFan

I did a bit more work on the engines. On this picture you will see the difference between the number one (left) and the number two (right) engine.

DSC00649_zps9b6c2546.jpg

Unfotunately the number two engine isn't 100% flawless either...

DSC00655_zpse66f7c62.jpg

The curve on the top of the engines is a bit flattened. So I have to put some putty on that to get it into shape. And so the puttying and sanding exercise continues.

I hope to finish the cockpit this weekend and merge the two fuselage halves to one. That will mean more puttying and sanding though...

To be continued soon.

Edited by FokkerFan
  • 1 month later...

i'm very interest in the progress of your Fokker. It give me some guidance to complete my two Fokkers F-100 Skywest and Vrigin Australia awaying in the the wings to be finished.

sean