I've used grey automotive primer successfully for years and would make a couple of suggestions. Firstly, make sure the primer you are using is not "filling" or "build u p" primer - that's designed to be thicker and do what it did to your model - namely to fill low areas of the surface so it can be sanded to a perfectly smooth surface on a car. The second suggestion is to warm the spray can in a sink or pan filled with warm water for 2 or 3 minutes - dry the can off quickly with a rag and start applying the paint to your model. Do not put the can in to HOT water and leave it! (The heat can and will raise the pressure in the can will explode sending paint everywhere - don't ask how I know that!)

Edited by Hawk10

I use and love the Tamiya Fine Surfacer Primer. Costs a bit more, but is good quality, made for plastic modelling, and very forgiving in appliance.

And hey, I usually spend ~100$ or more for aftermarket on my bigger project kits, so cutting corners on a really good product somehow doesn't compute for me ;)/> Like buying an expensive guitar and then shying away from a 40$ quality cable.

@Hawk: I hope the wife was not around when you painted the kitchen Mr.Bean-Style ;)

Edited by ChrisRRR

Tamiya primer changed my life until I discovered I could thin Mr Surfacer and shoot it out of my Air brush. Then it replaced everything I had. If you don't have an air brush, then yah, tamiya primer is the best.

I've had good luck with Plasti-Kote and Dupli-Color primers. But, like Hawk10 mentioned, the primer that is labeled as "spot-filler" or such is thicker and is more like Mr. Surfacer, IMHO. I have had good luck with Dupli-Color's "Primer Sealer." It is thinner and goes on good, right out of the can. If I do need to use something thicker, such as a spot filler, it will need to be sanded down. Rather than sand paper, I normally use 0000 steel wool. It can get into the nooks and crannies that is difficult to reach with sand paper. NOTE: After reading all of the great info about Tamiya's primers, I see some of it in my future.

• 1 month later...

I prefer to shoot primer through my airbrush since I have much better control, and the primer doesn't go on too thick to hide panel lines and surface details. I think I have most of the primers:

surface_primers.jpg

I do like Alclad II primers for ease of use (no thinning required). I also like Tamiya primer in the square bottle thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner and Mr. Surfacer 1000-1500 thinned with Mr. Color thinner.