1/32 Bell X-1E NASA Flight Research Center 1959

Okay here is my first entry.

This is a started project but I think it falls under the 25% or less mark. I described my progress in the proposed projects thread and no one called foul so here it is. This is a picture of the elements I am using.

DSCN1610_zpsdd79a324.jpg

1/32 Revell X-1

1/32 CE X-1E Conversion set and decals

Airscale instrument decals

Next post will be pictures of current state of progress and we will continue on from there.

Awesome Spitfireguy. From the sounds of it you are under the 25% mark. It's really hard to judge something like that when it's not an OOB build so for most builds we'll be trusting the builder to make an honest assessment of their progress. For the ones that are obviously too far along, like only have to glue the landing gear on and paint and decal etc..., we may step in and say no. So carry on. Looking forward to seeing this build!

Bill

here is my progress so far. I think I am going to open a rear panel and show some detail of the XLR-11 as well. Revell gives you a starting point for this so I thought I might see what I can do with that.

Scratched cockpit with Bang seat. Built from reference photos. Not 100% accurate but representative and convincing I think.

DSCN1842_zpsd8d57abe.jpg

Instrument panel - just modified the kit panel to more closely resemble the X-1E panel.

DSCN1843_zps5a5776c5.jpg

Cockpit side walls.

DSCN1845_zps68e19f79.jpg

DSCN1844_zpsf600aca1.jpg

wing roots added. Still filling and sanding to blend them in and then it is on to rescribing the fuselage.

DSCN1841_zpsd4e5c5e0.jpg

Zach

Cool project, I have this one on my to-do list as well. Here are some reference photos taken around the time of the last flight in Nov. 1958 to help you out.

Overall views:

X-1E-1.jpg

X-1E-2.jpg

X-1E-3.jpg

The tail 'bumper' between the ventral fins to prevent over rotation on landing:

X-1E-4.jpg

Instrumentation probe on nose and dual nose gear doors:

X-1E-5.jpg

Nose gear and dual nose gear doors:

X-1E-6.jpg

Exhaust expansion nozzles:

X-1E-7.jpg

Cockpit overall view:

X-1E-8.jpg

and for cockpit color reference:

X-1E-9.jpg

X-1E-10.jpg

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Tony

A little progress has been made. It's been a busy week.

I added some PE bits to the interior. I feel they help it out some.

DSCN1853_zpsd5c2d257.jpg

DSCN1852_zpsccaa7d4d.jpg

Here is the interior dry fit together. It is looking pretty good I think.

DSCN1848_zps0cdef421.jpg

Zach

Off to a great start. I can imagine how great it will look when you start slapping some paint on it. I assume you're doing it on the ground with the canopy open? Otherwise all this great work will be covered up. Keep it coming!

Bill

Zach, your doing great work in this old lady. I have the CE decals but still need the conversion. Hopefully, I'll get lucky and find one at a reasonable price soon. Anyway, you keep up the good work.

Mike