My girlfriend and i plan on viisting London this summer and i would like to know a few things.

First of all, where are there any good modelshops in the city center (what is the one seen on the episode of "james may toy stories?)? We are staying near piccadilly circus.

Also what is the fastest and easiest way (and also cheapest) way to get to the RAF museum? Is it true that Hannants is located near it?

If someone who knows the region could answer my questions, i really appreciate it.

The Underground is probably the fastest (a Londoner will be able to tell you the cheapest way.)

From Piccadilly Circus travel one stop (or walk) to Leicester Square, then get the northbound Northern Line (signposted to Edgware) to Colindale (even though the museum is called Hendon, don't be tempted to get off at Hendon Central, because it's a long walk.)

At Colindale turn left, and it's about a half-mile walk to the (signposted) museum, and Hannant's shop is about 200 yards further, on the same side of the road, tucked into a far corner of a small trading square.

Edgar

The Underground is probably the fastest (a Londoner will be able to tell you the cheapest way.)

From Piccadilly Circus travel one stop (or walk) to Leicester Square, then get the northbound Northern Line (signposted to Edgware) to Colindale (even though the museum is called Hendon, don't be tempted to get off at Hendon Central, because it's a long walk.)

At Colindale turn left, and it's about a half-mile walk to the (signposted) museum, and Hannant's shop is about 200 yards further, on the same side of the road, tucked into a far corner of a small trading square.

Edgar

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I never thought the underground goes so far. I thought it stuck to the city center.

I love using the subway in London. It is so easy and fast.

Ok, now i have to convince my girlfriend to let me go (and tag along).

I just also located Hannants and will make a visit there too.

Once again thank you.

BTW, i anybody knows of any more good modelshops or museums (i'm alowed to pick one, but in my world that means two) let me know.

Edited by streetstream

There's the Science Museum, just south of Hyde Park, which is walkable, if you're feeling energetic, otherwise fairly close to South Kensington Underground. It has several aircraft, including a fabric-winged Hurricane, Spitfire I, S6B, Vimy, E28/39, V-1; it did have a split-apart late-Mark spitfire, but i'm not sure if it's still there.

There's also the Imperial War Museum, nearest station the Elephant & Castle, but it's closed to visitors until mid-July for refurbishment.

Can't help with shops, bar one, which is The Aviation Hobby Shop, recently relocated close by in a small trading estate, and renamed AJ Aviation; nearest (overland) station is West Drayton, accessible from Paddington Station.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

The army and Military museum on Royal Hospital Road SW3, next to the Chelsea Royal Hospital, a 10 minute walk from Sloane square tube.

The Science Museum is a 5 minute walk from South Kensington tube

In relation to Edgar's post, you may wish to check opening days of AJ aviation, check the bulletin on

http://www.tahs.com/ before you take a train ride, and find that it's not open on your proposed day.

Edited by phantomdriver

In relation to Edgar's post, you may wish to check opening days of AJ aviation, check the bulletin on

http://www.tahs.com/ before you take a train ride, and find that it's not open on your proposed day.

It's worth giving Tony or Jan a call before visiting to make sure someone will be there; the numbers are on the website.

I've not seen the new premises, but the old one in Horton Road was my all-time favourite store! :crying2:

I took my family to the Hendon museum last May, and my kids and my wife really enjoyed the visit. I had to compromise a little by not spending as much time there as I would have liked, but I'm sure next time I'll talk about visiting some aircraft related museum, she won't object at all.

Too bad, I didn't know about Hannants...

I'm was at London in May-June last year, visited Hendon, science museum, for my sorrow Imaperial War Museum was closed.

http://begemotdecals.ru/fotoalbum/show_galery.php?album_id=25

Most intresting was Duxford and 70th anniversary of the USAF 8AA acting airshow.

http://begemotdecals.ru/fotoalbum/show_galery.php?album_id=24