Space Shuttle Columbia STS-1

Did STS-1 even have the SSMEs covered?

I have an old (1985) softcover book on the shuttle by Nigel Macknight that has a b&w photo of Columbia being sling-lifted in the VAB, it clearly has SSME covers with what appear to be Rocketdyne logos, but no indication of what mission it represents. The accompanying photos depict a white ET though so it is probably STS-1 -2 -3...

Found this image of Columbia moving from OPF to VAB in preparation for STS-3

10060616.jpg

In all of the photos I have seen, "Rockwell International" appears to be the logo shown on the SSME covers, until about 1998 when it is changed to Boeing. Later in the program it is changed to Pratt & Whitney. I have yet to see a Rocketdyne logo on any SSME cover. I haven't been able to find an image of any of the first 3 shuttle missions with SSME covers used anywhere. The only protection the SSMEs seem to get on the early missions is a red covering that goes over the "air filter" on the outermost nozzle.

http://mediaarchive.ksc.nasa.gov/imageviewer.cfm?mediaid=1279&mr=l&w=0&h=0&fn=97pc996&sn=KSC-97PC-996

I scanned the photo at 600 dpi and, while you still can't read the text, the logo is clearly Rockwell International (not Rocketdyne). If I squint I can imagine the first/top line says Rockwell International but I can't make out the second/bottom line - possibly Rocketdyne?

Rockwell_International_fa727_450x450.png

I swear at one time I saw the Rocketdyne logos on the engine covers. It could very well have been the Rockwell International logos too. :hmmm:/>/> I know I've seen Boeing, Rockwell, and Pratt & Whitney. The Rockwell ones will work just fine. I find it interesting how things change throughout the years. When the program began, Rockwell, Rocketdyne, Martin Marietta, and Morton Thiokol were the names associated with it. When it finished it was Boeing, Pratt & Whitney, Lockheed Martin, and ATK Launch Systems.

But anyhow. The Rockwell International logos will do just fine.

Mike

Edited by egt95

I swear at one time I saw the Rocketdyne logos on the engine covers. It could very well have been the Rockwell International logos too.

You know Rocketdyne is a part of Rockwell right?

You know Rocketdyne is a part of Rockwell right?

Was a part of Rockwell, now is a part of Aerojet. Has been part of North American, Rockwell, Pratt and Whitney and now Aerojet. Companies in the space business (aviation in general) seem to shift around quite a bit.

Bill

Alrighty. As I continue to figure out how to place covers on the main engines, I have continued work on the solid rocket boosters and the external tank.

The Airfix boosters have good detail. I added some styrene to the nozzles and to simulate the brackets attaching the lines on the side. I will also do this with the external tank lines.

Left side booster.

ColumbiaSTS-1142768x1024_zpsda8cdbe3.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1141768x1024_zps1dbd8595.jpg

The right side booster still need to undergo sanding as well as detail addition.

ColumbiaSTS-1143768x1024_zps63b9e037.jpg

The ET ribbing is on hold because I ran out of styrene. Looks like another trip to the hobby shop, which usually gets me into trouble.:wasntme:/>/>

But there maybe an alternative in the works to add a single piece of an engraved wrapped styrene to the intertank. We'll have to see how that comes out.

ColumbiaSTS-1144768x1024_zps600b8151.jpg

:salute:/>/>

Hi egt95

This is coming on a treat. Your decal work is most impressive...something I have never got round to as yet.

Re the ET......... IMHO it will be much better to go with the styrene strip. More control and as much accuracy as you can incorporate.

The best pic I ever came across of the ET is this : but perhaps you have it already.

14149865370_ed9a5c2a74_z.jpg

Using styrene strip for detail and the result thus far :

14149861780_b2e7103152_z.jpg

14334797382_a9b36d9af5_z.jpg

Cheers

JohnB

Edited by johnbuck

Left side booster.

ColumbiaSTS-1142768x1024_zpsda8cdbe3.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1141768x1024_zps1dbd8595.jpg

The right side booster still need to undergo sanding as well as detail addition.

:salute:

Hello Mike,

Nice approach with the detailing of the SRBs and the ET. What size of styrene strips did you use on the cone? It seems to me to be a bit too thick, especially when you see this photo. :rolleyes:

c5l7.jpg

Source: NASA

Do you want to sand it still flat?

:wave:

Edited by spaceman

If you look at the photo Hotdog posted in my old build thread, you can see the older SRB cones had a much more pronounced detail than the newer ones. I don't know exactly how the ones on STS-1 were, but I'd imagine they were closer to this.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=232748&view=findpost&p=2485253

Bill

Edited by niart17

Mike,

Beautiful job on the SRB's and the ET. I agree with what John said, that using styrene strips gives you more control. Sure it takes more time and is a bit tedious but it's well worth the results. Your ET's inter tank looks excellent so far! :thumbsup:

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Good eye at spotting the heavier detail on the early nose cones!

The decals I made for the Airfix SRB's were based off of the newer design. These will be what are included in my decal sheets. The frustum decal should still be useful.

2rdg4d3.jpg

John, did you use a textured spray paint to render the foam on your ET?

First an apology to you egt95.....

have just taken those pics of my ET down as it could look as though I was hi-jacking your thread which was certainly not my intention.

Your SRB are coming along so well. Am sure your approach to the ET with the strip styrene is best.

Re the painting of mine Hotdog : I tend to avoid acrylics and enamels as it can sometimes be difficult to get the depth of colour necessary. On the ET I used Winsor & Newton artists oil. You can get a good depth of paint which takes a brush stippling effect very well. The trouble is the drying time is very slow as with most oil paints ( chrome colours are the slowest of the lot ) . The ET was a mix of chrome orange and chrome yellow with washes of raw & burt umber and a little titanium white....drying time ....about 3months !! OIl paints do blend the best though...you just have to be patient.

Cheers

John

I worked with oil paint for 12 years and became a master at mixing my own colors...yet I never thought about stippling oils onto a model! Great idea! Perhaps if a suitable mixture can be concocted that does not use any of the chrome paints, perhaps one could cut down on the 3-month drying time. Might be a technique I will consider trying!

Hi guys,

BTW, this is also an Airfix ET with a nice surface texture :coolio: from a German friend of mine, produced with an extraordinary method with spray glue and flour,

before,

up027748.jpg

Source: raumfahrer.net (inselaner)

and after painting. :woot.gif:

up027887.jpg

:wave:

First an apology to you egt95.....

have just taken those pics of my ET down as it could look as though I was hi-jacking your thread which was certainly not my intention.

Your SRB are coming along so well. Am sure your approach to the ET with the strip styrene is best.

Re the painting of mine Hotdog : I tend to avoid acrylics and enamels as it can sometimes be difficult to get the depth of colour necessary. On the ET I used Winsor & Newton artists oil. You can get a good depth of paint which takes a brush stippling effect very well. The trouble is the drying time is very slow as with most oil paints ( chrome colours are the slowest of the lot ) . The ET was a mix of chrome orange and chrome yellow with washes of raw & burt umber and a little titanium white....drying time ....about 3months !! OIl paints do blend the best though...you just have to be patient.

Cheers

John

No need to apologize, John.

I actually found that the pictures you posted were very impressive. If you would, please put them back up.:thumbsup:/> Which ended up giving me an idea. I think that the styrene strips that I used are too thin and that I may have to redo the ribbing. I was doing a bit of research on the first ET. Although there were a few different styles of external tanks, the basic texture remained the same. The only major change, besides not painting the tank, was removing one of the feed lines and or grouping it with the rest. I'll keep chipping away at it.

Mike

Hi guys,

BTW, this is also an Airfix ET with a nice surface texture :coolio:/> from a German friend of mine, produced with an extraordinary method with spray glue and flour,

before,

up027748.jpg

and after painting. :woot.gif:/>

up027887.jpg

:wave:/>

Manfred,

These are great photos of the External Tank. I really do appreciate the resources that you guys have provided for me. I'm not sure that I will go as far as spraying an actual texture to mine, but the thought has crossed my mind.:hmmm:/> As for the styrene strips on the SRB's, I plan on sanding them down just a hair. They are a bit over sized and there are a few gaps that need to be delt with.

Thanks for the close up photos of the booster. That will come in handy.

Mike

Thanks Mike for your understanding,

Have just put the pics back up.

Flour !!!!!................great idea but.... perhaps an inorganic substance would have been better.......say aluminium powder ( available on amazon ) , just use waterproof PVA to fix

These discussions we have are good for the soul eh...........

Cheers

JohnB

Hi Manfred,

For the aluminium method I concocted go to my Columbiad thread post on 13th Jan last on the Sci-fi Forum. It works with the other ferrous and non-ferrous powders too.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=262958&hl=columbiad&st=0

Thanks again Mike for your understanding

Cheers

JohnB

Edited by johnbuck

:woo:/>/>

I have finally completed ribbing the ET. I didn't think I was ever going to complete this task. I also added stryrene for feed line brackets and created hoods with milliput for the lines that are lacking on the Airfix models. When the milliput completely cures, I will file it down to its proper shape.

ColumbiaSTS-11461024x768_zps5e9802bd.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-11451024x768_zps8ac3c27e.jpg

I'm really happy the way it turned out. Thanks all, for the good reference photos. :thumbsup:/>/>

ColumbiaSTS-11471024x768_zpse84b7cdb.jpg

Be back with more soon....:salute:/>/>