Space Shuttle Columbia STS-1

Hey guys, I want to really apologize. I really didn't mean it to come across like it sounded. I saw one picture egt95 posted with what looked like some already available window decals I'd seen in the past and for some reason it reminded me of a silly gripe I had about them and other decals. You guys work is really really awesome and someone's build thread shouldn't be a place for someone like me to come in and air out a gripe about other peoples products. I hope you will accept this apology and believe me when I tell you I'm not always that insensitive. I do at times get caught up in the quest for the perfect shuttle model products and focus on that without noticing where or when I'm voicing that.

Now please continue on with this incredible build. I will try to limit my input to things that actually pertain to your build egt95 and not what my favorite shade of zinc chromate is or some other arbitrary comment.

Bill

Hey guys, I want to really apologize. I really didn't mean it to come across like it sounded. I saw one picture egt95 posted with what looked like some already available window decals I'd seen in the past and for some reason it reminded me of a silly gripe I had about them and other decals. You guys work is really really awesome and someone's build thread shouldn't be a place for someone like me to come in and air out a gripe about other peoples products. I hope you will accept this apology and believe me when I tell you I'm not always that insensitive. I do at times get caught up in the quest for the perfect shuttle model products and focus on that without noticing where or when I'm voicing that.

Now please continue on with this incredible build. I will try to limit my input to things that actually pertain to your build egt95 and not what my favorite shade of zinc chromate is or some other arbitrary comment.

Bill

Rule #6 "Never say I'm sorry. It shows a sign of weakness.":coolio:/>

No need to apologize. I too strive for perfection when it comes to things that I do. But there are times when I get defeated and will have to reset and reattempt. We are talking about 1/144 scale models that contain very small details. It can be achieved, but only with time, effort, and a little help from other people. This is why I decided to share my builds with you guys. I've been following this forum for a long time and the designs, suggestions, and attention to detail that come from all of you is the reason why I'm here. I do appreciate your input, Bill. Whatever you have to say is important and any critizism is welcome. Thank you to all.:thumbsup:/>

Rule #6 "Never say I'm sorry. It shows a sign of weakness.":coolio:/>/>

I didn't say I was sorry, I said I apologize... :whistle:

Seriously though, I agree; this has become a really great source for real space modelers. I think the advantage of having a mix with all the other type builders here that can come in and give advice based on whatever genre they build is really helpful. And that goes across the board. Car modelers can definitely help when it comes to finishes and cables and all sorts of things that an aircraft guy never deals with often. Tank builders know weathering and other things not used as much elsewhere etc...So the mix here is a great tool to use.

BTW, Thanks for being so cool about it.

Bill

No offense taken by me either. What makes this forum so great is the input we get from others who also share the same strive for perfection and accuracy. There is no such thing as bad criticism in the design world, which is the world I live in every day of my career. It is better to speak up about such things rather than sit back and watch a fellow modeler go about doing something sub-prime that could be made better. I know the decal Bill was talking about, I've seen it used on other models, and decals like that are part of the reason I have taken it upon myself to help improve the quality of resources available to us. Like I say in many of my posts here, any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Following this build and the related decal comments, I hope to eventually have an STS-1 stack and an STS-135 stack in my 1/144 display cabinet. Decals like you guys are doing will be invaluable (though hopefully affordable :) )

Following this build and the related decal comments, I hope to eventually have an STS-1 stack and an STS-135 stack in my 1/144 display cabinet. Decals like you guys are doing will be invaluable (though hopefully affordable :)/>/> )

Awesome. I am currently working on a "beany cap" (similar to Dutycat's 1/72) for the 1/144 models. As soon as I get the windows placed with styrene, I have plans on shipping it to a company that deals with 3d printing so they can scan and create a handful of these items to share with all of the space shuttle modelers. Stay tuned for that.

Mike.

Edited by egt95

Here's a couple of photos with some home made decals. I think it worked out well. I was thinking however, with all of the latest discussion of tile layout in decals; when we look at the tiles on shuttles our perception is to seperate tiles. But looking at some of the pictures that Manfred has posted of STS-6, what we see is the brick layer pattern of serial numbers stenciled on the tiles. I wonder what it would look like if we tried creating tiles with only stenciled numbers and maybe a few different shades of black or dark grey. Just something to think about.:hmmm:/>/>

ColumbiaSTS-1123640x480_zpsdec39b29.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1125640x480_zps76480e47.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1124480x640_zpsefe52fe6.jpg

Here's the start of the "beany cap" for the 1/144 models. This one will be for the Revell. I also have an extra Airfix one that I'll do the same to. That way there's options.

BeanyCap640x480_zps5215f902.jpg

:wave:/>/>

Here's a bit of an update on the shuttle...

ColumbiaSTS-1126640x480_zps62511787.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1127640x480_zpsb10e1a78.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1128640x480_zpsfbbb8b85.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1129640x480_zps63607ba1.jpg

She's really taking shape. When Hotdog gets home from his business trip and is able to print off a decal sheet, I'll begin putting the final touch's on it and get on with the boosters and external tank.

Mike :salute:/>/>

Here's a couple of photos with some home made decals. I think it worked out well. I was thinking however, with all of the latest discussion of tile layout in decals; when we look at the tiles on shuttles our perception is to seperate tiles. But looking at some of the pictures that Manfred has posted of STS-6, what we see is the brick layer pattern of serial numbers stenciled on the tiles. I wonder what it would look like if we tried creating tiles with only stenciled numbers and maybe a few different shades of black or dark grey. Just something to think about.:hmmm:

Hello Mike,

I fully agree with you, what we perceive as lines between the tiles are the serial numbers, and this concerns both the black and the white tiles. Between the tiles there are indeed no large gaps and therefore the lines are likely to be extremely thin on the scale 1:144, so in the decals they seem to me to be still too thick and should hardly be visible. :coolio:

gy70.jpg

Source: retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

And in particular, between the white tiles dark lines seem to be unrealistic and even much more objectionable. :woot.gif:

30i1.jpg

Source: retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

:wave:

Edited by spaceman

Mike, your shuttle is looking fantastic! Love the tile work, especially on the stabilizer.

Very interested in the Airfix beanie cap you are making! Can't wait to see that and get my hands on one or three :)

Here's a couple of photos with some home made decals. I think it worked out well. I was thinking however, with all of the latest discussion of tile layout in decals; when we look at the tiles on shuttles our perception is to seperate tiles. But looking at some of the pictures that Manfred has posted of STS-6, what we see is the brick layer pattern of serial numbers stenciled on the tiles. I wonder what it would look like if we tried creating tiles with only stenciled numbers and maybe a few different shades of black or dark grey. Just something to think about.:hmmm:/>/>/>/>

Mike,

When I built my Revell STS-133 stack I applied 'white' tile decals around the windows and on the OMS pods. After the decals were set I brush painted(it can also be sprayed) on some thinned white paint to tone the tile pattern down. After the final clear coat was sprayed on it's just barely noticeable.

Below is my build link showing the difference between the applied 'raw' white tile decals and after the thinned white was painted over them.

My Revell Shuttle's white tiles

Here's a picture with the final clear coat. The pattern is magnified due to such a close up picture but in person the brick pattern is nice and subtle.

Maybe this approach will help you.

Mike.

IMG_6256b_zps369b4c15.jpg

Mike,

When I built my Revell STS-133 stack I applied 'white' tile decals around the windows and on the OMS pods. After the decals were set I brush painted(it can also be sprayed) on some thinned white paint to tone the tile pattern down. After the final clear coat was sprayed on it's just barely noticeable.

Below is my build link showing the difference between the applied 'raw' white tile decals and after the thinned white was painted over them.

My Revell Shuttle's white tiles

Here's a picture with the final clear coat. The pattern is magnified due to such a close up picture but in person the brick pattern is nice and subtle.

Maybe this approach will help you.

Mike.

IMG_6256b_zps369b4c15.jpg

Mike.

I looked at your build and I have to say that I'm really impressed with the cabin and OMS pod tile work. This just happens to be the two areas that I'm having issues with.:bandhead2:/> I would also like to finish the entire cabin too. Anyhow, really awsome build and thanks for the suggestions.

Mike.

Crowe-T Mike's shuttle is a masterpiece! His technique of using the thinned white to tone down the tile detail and achieve a natural variance to the relief of the tile texture is the sure-fire magic touch.

Thanks Mike and Hotdog for the nice words. :) When I was applying the tile decals I found that they looked too obvious. I agree that you don't always see all the tile separation lines when looking at pictures of actual shuttles. Applying the thinned white, to my eyes, seemed to help them blend in.

Mike.

I'm just about done applying the bigger decals. I do have to say, it looks pretty good. :D/>/>/>

ColumbiaSTS-11321024x768_zps91255bd1.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-11311024x768_zpsb4cb93a7.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1133768x1024_zps23227bf7.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1134768x1024_zpsa163c016.jpg

A while ago, we were talking about the HRSI tiles that are new and ones that have been through reentry a time or two. Hotdog supplied me with a set of HRSI decals (that are really very good) that have used tiles. So, I went ahead and tried the Bisconti decals, which give the tiles a new look. I was actually quite surprised at the way they turned out. I did have to do some trimming and replacing of areas that did not fit, but overall it worked.

ColumbiaSTS-1135768x1024_zps972d0427.jpg

Now. I did some thinking and I came up with a solution about Hotdog's decal sheet. I have a 1/144 Airfix shuttle depicting Columbia STS-107. I originally applied HRSI decals made by Warbird Decals that I really don't care for.

ColumbiaSTS-1136768x1024_zps656ad224.jpg

ColumbiaSTS-1137768x1024_zps91640ce2.jpg

My plan is to remove the Warbird's decals and replace them with Hotdog's decals of the HRSI's. This is where I believe this belongs.:whistle:/>/>/>

ColumbiaSTS-11381024x768_zpsfc1773ac.jpg

While I wait for another set of Hotdog's decals to arrive, it's time to get back to the External Tank and Solid Rocket Boosters.

:cheers:/>/>/>

Edited by egt95

Geez lew-weez ... those Warbird decals leave alot to be desired ... but Hotdog's are gorgeous! Well Done!

And is that an optical illusion or is that a seam going down the centreline and another across the belly just south of the nose gear? Just curious.

Pete

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I can not keep apart your decals. :rolleyes:

Are this the Belly Decals by Hotdog?

If so, these decals would also be well suited for Challenger's maiden flight STS-6, I think, because I also will use the Airfix Kit for my shuttle stack. :coolio:

:wave:

Geez lew-weez ... those Warbird decals leave alot to be desired ... but Hotdog's are gorgeous! Well Done!

And is that an optical illusion or is that a seam going down the centreline and another across the belly just south of the nose gear? Just curious.

Pete

Ya, I never was impressed with the HRSI tiles that Warbird produced. I do however, really like the white LRSI tiles they provide. The tile decals that I used are from Ed Bisconti. I think he took the old Cutting Edge and tried to reproduce them. They are an ink jet style decal and it was sort of a puzzle piece to put together. So what you see is a seam where the decals ended up overlapping. It is also possible that the light may inhance the look also.

Hotdog's decals will be used on an orbiter that looks like it has been around for 20-30 years and saw many reentries.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I can not keep apart your decals. :rolleyes:/>/>

Are this the Belly Decals by Hotdog?

If so, these decals would also be well suited for Challenger's maiden flight STS-6, I think, because I also will use the Airfix Kit for my shuttle stack. :coolio:/>/>

:wave:/>/>

No. These are not from Hotdog. These are from Ed Bisconti. I found them on Ebay for about $25 USD. If you do use them, I highly suggest getting a couple of them or even scan them into an illustrator file and print them on clear decal paper. You will need 3 or 4 sheets to fully complete the Airfix orbiter. As I was scabbing them together, it dawned on me that these where probably meant for Revell or Minicraft.

There are some areas on my shuttle that is not covered all of the way. I plan on either cutting small pieces of decals to fill the void or using black paint.

Mike

Edited by egt95

No. These are not from Hotdog. These are from Ed Bisconti. I found them on Ebay for about $25 USD. If you do use them, I highly suggest getting a couple of them or even scan them into an illustrator file and print them on clear decal paper. You will need 3 or 4 sheets to fully complete the Airfix orbiter. As I was scabbing them together, it dawned on me that these where probably meant for Revell or Minicraft.

There are some areas on my shuttle that is not covered all of the way. I plan on either cutting small pieces of decals to fill the void or using black paint.

Mike

The decals Ed Bisconti sold are made from the Cutting Edge set which was made specifically for the Minicraft orbiter. A little trimming and they will fit any of the orbiter kits.

Mike.

Hello all. :wave:/>/>

While I hit the pause button on the decaling, I have started to work on the Space Shuttle Main Engines. I've been thinking about placing covers on the engines, as well as the Orbiter Maneuvering Systems, giving the shuttle the roll-out appearance.

ColumbiaSTS-1140854x1280_zps5bb9c60e.jpg

Source: NASA.gov

The SSME's were provided by Real Space Models. They, too me, look fairly accurate to the real deal.

ColumbiaSTS-11391024x768_zps9275637e.jpg

I think I'm going to go ahead and use the Airfix OMS engines because of the base molded on the bulkhead. Well figure something out for the main engines. But what I do need are some decals for the cover that have the old Rocketdyne logo's on it. :rolleyes:/>/>

Mike,

I used Real Space Models SSME's on my Revell STS-133 build and they look good when installed. All the details seem to be accurate. I agree, using the Airfix OMS engines is the better way to go. They have the correct shape and fit perfectly into the base at the rear of the OMS pods.

Mike.