Does anybody have experience with really out of the box non standard thinners? I saw a build article recently where Ronsonol lighter fluid was used to thin Model Master RLM colors to make them flatter. I've been using lacquer thinner for Model Master enamels. It ceretainly does the job but it is so volatile that it seems to begin to evaporate in the air between the gun and the model. Result, VERY flat flats and a pebbly finish on gloss. Recognizing that, I bought the (proper but way overpriced) MM thinner. It seems slightly thicker and feels slippery - oily - like 1K kerosene (Charcoal briquette lighter fluid). Sort of smells like it too. I'll try it out to see what happens and follow up. Meanwhile, we know about Turpentine, mineral spirits,and lacquer thinner, but what other out of the box thinners have you tried for enamels???

Hi....for normal enamel (aramidic formulation) like Humbrol,Model Master,Xtracolor and Others you can use White spirit or sintetic universal thinner (the sintetic version of White spirit).Remember that more fast the paint dry and more flat the finish will be:if you want a very flat finish (with a matt paint....) you use the sintetic universal thinner,while if you want a glossy finish (with a gloss paint...)use White spirit....When you use acriylics is the same thing....if you use same retarder in the mix the paint finish will be less flat.......the dry time is a very important ......

I've used straight acetone with satin black enamel paint with success. The paint surface will end up flat, but not as coarse as the MM paint finish.

I am also using professional grade 1-component hardener thinner for paints that take forever to dry.

I mix napatha (lighter fluid) often when I want a dead-flat enamel finish. I mix usually about 30% napatha to 60-paint. Works with MM and every other enamel I've tried (Humbrol, regular Testors, etc.)

Yeah, using Ronson lighter fluid sounded dangerous to me too, but I bet it's no more volatile than lacquer thinner. I'm going to try the 1K kerosene (charcoal briquette lighter)out of curiosity - it would be a hoot if it's the same as MM thinner.I'm also going to try the odorless thinner. Odorless is half the battle. By the way, the "fuel injection cleaner" some dealers sell you with services (at $20.00 + per pint) is naptha with some detergent in it. Specify that you don't want it. It's close to useless.

Edited by fool on the hill

My paint stash is 99% enamels (Testors, Testors Model Master, Humbrol (even a bunch of the old Authentics that still work) and a dozen or so bottles of Pactra). I currently use DuPont 3812S enamel reducer for thinner. Works very well with my current paints although I am going to have to replace it because it is supposedly out of production now. My current choice for a replacement is mineral spirits but lacquer thinner is running a very close second.

Well, the gauge on MM glosses is in fact lacquer thinner, because it cuts the paint so well. I have used mineral spirits(white spirit) and you don.t get that glass smooth finish that you do with lacquer thinner.

There is some technique involved. You have to spray fast and close, so that it doesn't dry enroute to the model. Also, don't expect it to go on perfectly glossy everywhere, so some careful polishing may be in order.

Experiment a bit on some plastic spoons.

About everything I use other then Tamiya X20-A is flammable. Just be careful using and storing it. I also model in a air conditioned/temp controlled room, so excess heat isn't an issue. Personally, I wouldn't use lighter fluid, as it's main function is to ignite and start a fire.

Joel