Malaysian airlines plane missing

- How about another fantasy that is even further out in left field than all or most of those already put forth? This incident was a "test" to see if someone could hijack a large commercial airliner and just disappear with it. If successful, at some point in the not too distant future, several airliners are hijacked in a similar manner and you have a 9-11 type event in a MUCH larger scale.

- The four 9-11 aircraft veered way off course, the controllers detected that, but weren't sure what to do about it until it was too late to do anything. Since 9-11, any plane that veers that far off course and doesn't respond to inquiries, risks being shot down.

- If 5 or 10 or 15 or more airliners just "disappear" for awhile, God only knows what kind of crap they are trying to pull off. Nobody knows where to go after them or what to do about it.

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78

But you could remove the batteries...... That would mean he needed help..... I am impressed how well thought out these responses have been. :)/>

In my experience Removing the batteries is not as easy as it sounds. I don't know the 777 but I wonder how accessible the FDR/CPI is to the aircrew.

Before we go any further with the speculation, I just want to make sure of one thing. Is that a cat in a shark outfit riding a roomba and a baby duck walking towards the camera? And if so, why?

Yes it is, and why not?

Vince

The Malaysian PM has now confirmed that they believe MH370 was deliberately diverted - he said "(the) movements are consistent with the deliberate action of someone on the plane". He's also confirmed that a satellite was able to pick up a signal from the plane for some seven hours after it lost radar contact.

BBC News

Given the number of systems which had been disabled prior to loss of contact, it could only be done by someone with an intimate knowledge of the 777. I think this really brings the most likely options down to some form of pilot suicide or a very sophisticated hijacking - and even then, we've heard no-one claiming responsibility. Assuming it's crashed, and that it could have been thousands of miles away from where it was last reported, it'll make finding the wreckage almost impossible.

Vince

I am starting to think this plane is safely on the ground, somewhere.

Weeeellllll...I wouldn't say safely...at least not if you're one of the hapless passengers.

There are now lots of theories afoot...some sound outlandish but remember, before 9/11, people hijacking aircraft and flying them into buildings was a pretty outlandish idea too.

Edited by 82Whitey51

It truly is amazing that in this day and age, with all of the technological gadgetry available to us, we cannot find something as large as an airliner. Yes, it is a really big World (although sometimes it seems to be not big enough), yes there is a lot of water in the big puddles laying around, and yes the jungle is deep and dark. But we are not talking some tiny homebuilt ultra-light aircraft gone missing over the ocean or jungle. We are talking about a large airliner that is MEANT to be tracked (built to be tracked) and meant to be found should it need to (not to mention the other tell-tail signs of a crash had one occurred). It boggles the mind that this aircraft can just disappear without anyone seeing it on radar, no radio communications, no ship/boat/plane/satellite/UAV or anyone on dry land seeing it (or pieces of it) or even hearing a large aircraft that shouldn't be in the area. To be honest, I find it a tad disconcerting.

For the sake of the family members left wondering, I sincerely hope something is found to allow them closure. Truly a modern day mystery thus far.

Don

I feel this is still a suicide and the reason the aircraft flew five hours, is the person responsible didn't want any evidence found to link him to the crime and shame his family. Regardless, this was well planned out.

The problem I have with this theory is the ELTs would still transmit a signal that would be detected. The biggest part that puzzles to me is why the ELTs didn't transmit on impact (there are two on the 777, one in the nose and one in the tail). You don't pull a cb to turn off an ELT.

A UAB signal not being detected, I can understand that.

Interesting that the triple 7 has two ELTs if you are correct. FAR 91-207 paragraph e says scheduled air carriers and transports with a payload of over 18,000 lbs are not required to have an ELT. I imagine if the FAA doesn't require one, foreign carriers probably aren 't required to have one either. But I'm just speculating about that. I 'll bet FAR 91-207 gets changed pretty quickly after this.

But you could remove the batteries...... That would mean he needed help..... I am impressed how well thought out these responses have been. :)/>

You have to get to the ELT to do that, I know how to disable it and it would not be possible without doing it on the ground. As well, there are two on the 777, one in the tail and one in the nose.

This would require help on the ground.

The Malaysian PM has now confirmed that they believe MH370 was deliberately diverted - he said "(the) movements are consistent with the deliberate action of someone on the plane". He's also confirmed that a satellite was able to pick up a signal from the plane for some seven hours after it lost radar contact.

BBC News

Given the number of systems which had been disabled prior to loss of contact, it could only be done by someone with an intimate knowledge of the 777. I think this really brings the most likely options down to some form of pilot suicide or a very sophisticated hijacking - and even then, we've heard no-one claiming responsibility. Assuming it's crashed, and that it could have been thousands of miles away from where it was last reported, it'll make finding the wreckage almost impossible.

Vince

This entire event was sophisticated, from the timing of the transponder shut down, to the direction of the turn, to the 35,000 ft altitude the aircraft flew to, to the position the aircraft may have ditched (deep ocean). It was well planned out and was not a spur of the moment event. I suspect it may have even been practiced in the sim. The person obviously had an intimate knowledge of the 777.

I still suspect one pilot went to the bathroom or had left the cabin when the second went rogue. He likely donned the O2 mask, climbed to 35,000 ft, carried out an emergency depressurization, and killed everyone in the back. At 35k you have less than 5 seconds to don a mask and get flow going.

Just heard BBC NEWS... they now think the aircraft flew for whole 7 hours and piecing together data they now think the flight was diverted/ taken towards Khazakstan or somewhere near India...CRIKEY !

They say the transponder was off at the time of the handover to the next control zone. Why didn't the Malaysian controller, who was doing the handover, report to flight 370 that he no longer had their secondary information on the radar screen (flight number, heading, altitude), all that data would have dropped off the screen. Why aren't the experts CNN asking this?

They say the transponder was off at the time of the handover to the next control zone. Why didn't the Malaysian controller, who was doing the handover, report to flight 370 that he no longer had their secondary information on the radar screen (flight number, heading, altitude), all that data would have dropped off the screen. Why aren't the experts CNN asking this?

I would ask whether or not they would be within radar coverage at that point in space first.

The thing that points further to a hostile takeover of the cockpit prior to contact was lost, is the overly casual 'Alright, goodnight' last transmission from the aircraft. To me, that sounds like a non-aviator in control at the time trying to sound normal on the radio. Not that pilot's can't be that casual on the radio, but if they were, it would be along with a stretch of conversation with the controller. If that was indeed the entire last transmission, and if there wadn't any other conversation with the controller shortly before it, I would say that those were the words of a hijacker from the cabin.

Edited by Rank11

...Why aren't the experts CNN asking this?

:rofl:

"CNN" and "EXPERTS" in the same sentence...sorry, not to make light of a horrible situation, but I found that funny.

If the 777 is filled with a dirty bomb or its like and flown somewhere within range....like middle east, Australia...China...the outcome will make 9/11 look like a flash in a pan, and the world will forever be changed. With the US bankrupt, and with a populace that wouldn't support another war in a far off land, even if it could be afforded, who would take up the baton as the world's police? China? Russia? Who would stand to gain? Who could use this as a stepping stone to superpower?

If its any consolation, a WMD terrorist attack that would kill tens of thousands would not get a "shrug" from the western world no matter how tired, war weary, or broke. Things like that tend to galvanize populations for action and cement alliances. Besides it would be the Honeymoon phase, things would go great until the it ended and then it became an expensive lifetime grind. No one is better at wars that are 3 months or less than the US, after that it gets kind of dicey lately at least.

I think they had a big mirror to reflect their ACARS pings backward, and they were flying east, not west. They landed on an uncharted island (after a... three hour tour...) and are now setting up a utopian paradise.

No offense to Gilligans Island but a plane disappearing in the pacific with lots of drawn out internet speculation that ends badly with lots of disappointment:

Lost-season1.jpg

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

:rofl:/>

"CNN" and "EXPERTS" in the same sentence...sorry, not to make light of a horrible situation, but I found that funny.

Everything they say I brought up three days earlier. Some of them are not bad though.

One of them must read ArC, he just questioned what I just posted here. :)

The thing that points further to a hostile takeover of the cockpit prior to contact was lost, is the overly casual 'Alright, goodnight' last transmission from the aircraft.

Apparently this transmission was made AFTER both ACARS and the transponder were turned off. Why was that (transponder OFF) not noticed or commented on by ground controllers?

Then this (from http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/15/world/asia/malaysia-military-radar.html?hp&_r=0 )

Radar signals recorded by the Malaysian military appeared to show that the missing airliner climbed to 45,000 feet, above the approved altitude limit for a Boeing 777-200, soon after it disappeared from civilian radar and turned sharply to the west, according to a preliminary assessment by a person familiar with the data.

The radar track, which the Malaysian government has not released but says it has provided to the United States and China, showed that the plane then descended unevenly to 23,000 feet, below normal cruising levels, as it approached the densely populated island of Penang.

There, officials believe, the plane turned from a southwest-bound course, climbed to a higher altitude and flew northwest over the Strait of Malacca toward the Indian Ocean.

Interesting theories on this being used as a Terrorist "dry run" or trial before a larger operation.

What will world governments do when they are faced with the choice to shoot down an airliner to potentially save a larger population from the crash or detonation? Yeah, it's a 9-11 nightmare all over again.

Terrorism isn't just blowing up planes and crashing buildings as we all know. Its also installing "fear" or terror in a populace as well- disrupting our daily lives and economies.

Interesting theories on this being used as a Terrorist "dry run" or trial before a larger operation.

What will world governments do when they are faced with the choice to shoot down an airliner to potentially save a larger population from the crash or detonation? Yeah, it's a 9-11 nightmare all over again.

Terrorism isn't just blowing up planes and crashing buildings as we all know. Its also installing "fear" or terror in a populace as well- disrupting our daily lives and economies.

Amen.

Correct, it is not the same positive handoff. It is even reported that most the active radars in that area of the world are turned off at night. So that is an example of another procedure that is not typical in the rest of the world,

There's got to be some sort of letter of agreement (LOA) between the Malaysian and Vietnamese ATC authorities as to handoffs in oceanic sectors, regardless of whether they are radar or non-radar.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

Here's a site where there is a very intelligent discussion going on. It's the PPRUNE (Professional Pilots' Rumour Network), where I like to lurk a lot. The target clientele for the site is professional pilots, so there is a lot of very interesting and accurate insight into the inner workings of the aircraft, ATC procedures in that part of the world, ADS-B and radar coverage, plus many theories of why or how things might have happened.

It's worth a read (well over 150 pages and counting!).

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/535538-malaysian-airlines-mh370-contact-lost.html

This is the main reason why I haven't posted anything here on ARC; I have been in "listening" mode on PPRUNE to get some insight. What a very strange case.

ALF

There's got to be some sort of letter of agreement (LOA) between the Malaysian and Vietnamese ATC authorities as to handoffs in oceanic sectors, regardless of whether they are radar or non-radar.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

I'm sure there is. Vietnam control probably was the first to get an inkling that something was amiss. But the point is the FIR boundary is where you would have a small window of opportunity to take a plane off course without anybody noticing for at least a little while.