Malaysian airlines plane missing

Still no sign of the aircraft or wreckage, but I think it's safe to assume all have been lost. Dropping off radar with no distress calls would indicate that something catastrophic occurred suddenly mid-flight. The BBC are reporting that 'two passengers who were listed on the plane's manifest - an Italian and an Austrian - were not actually on the flight but had had their passports stolen in the past two years in Thailand' - which, if true, raises the question as to whom the two passengers traveling on the stolen passports were.

Vince

Looks like search aircraft have spotted an oil slick in the area of the disappearance. Hopefully they'll be able to locate the black boxes and figure this one out. The passengers traveling on stolen passports might have been up to no good, but not necessarily related to the crash.

SN

Looks like search aircraft have spotted an oil slick in the area of the disappearance. Hopefully they'll be able to locate the black boxes and figure this one out. The passengers traveling on stolen passports might have been up to no good, but not necessarily related to the crash.

SN

Under the circumstances it doesn't look good though. The people with two stolen passports from two different countries were part of a party of seven who had their tickets paid by the same wire transfer.

If anything, knowing the other five will help identify the two with the stolen passports.

There is/was a picture towards the bottom of the above link that shows a woman who is a relative of one of the passengers...she is alone, doubled over in a squatting position with her head in her hands obviously distraught with grief, with the media surrounding her in (according to the caption) an attempt to intervew her. This makes me sick and frankly angers me to no end. When did sticking a camera in front of a grieving persons face superseed a strong set of arms, hug, and words of consolment? The media is BEYOND out of touch with reality/society and they wonder why their readership/ratings are a ghost of what they were and continue to become more and more inconsequential. Forget it...I guess I date myself...and forgive my soap box. This is not the time nor indeed the place....

My sincere thoughts of peace and prayer to all directly affected by this sad and tragic event.........and to that pictured woman......I truly hope someone had the decency and honor to assist you......

Don

When did sticking a camera in front of a grieving persons face superseed a strong set of arms, hug, and words of consolment? The media is BEYOND out of touch with reality/society and they wonder why their readership/ratings are a ghost of what they were and continue to become more and more inconsequential

When we stop consuming this media they will stop producing it. Given our culture, I don't see that ending anytime soon.

When we stop consuming this media they will stop producing it. Given our culture, I don't see that ending anytime soon.

Sadly, I couldn't agree more.

Don

There is/was a picture towards the bottom of the above link that shows a woman who is a relative of one of the passengers...she is alone, doubled over in a squatting position with her head in her hands obviously distraught with grief, with the media surrounding her in (according to the caption) an attempt to intervew her. This makes me sick and frankly angers me to no end. When did sticking a camera in front of a grieving persons face superseed a strong set of arms, hug, and words of consolment? The media is BEYOND out of touch with reality/society and they wonder why their readership/ratings are a ghost of what they were and continue to become more and more inconsequential. Forget it...I guess I date myself...and forgive my soap box. This is not the time nor indeed the place....

My sincere thoughts of peace and prayer to all directly affected by this sad and tragic event.........and to that pictured woman......I truly hope someone had the decency and honor to assist you......

Don

Ya, that one really made me sad, just saw the photo.

All my thoughts and prayers to the families who have lost loved ones.

name='Don' timestamp='1394326290' post='2594600

.....The media is BEYOND out of touch with reality/society and they wonder why their readership/ratings are a ghost of what they were and continue to become more and more inconsequential. Forget it...I guess I date myself...and forgive my soap box. This is not the time nor indeed the place....

Don

"Nuff said Edited by #1 Greywolf

I saw the link to the victims families, I didn't click on it as I expected exactly what has even posted here.

The media has little expertise in anything, they rarely know the subject they are reporting on and they certainly don't publish images of happy events.

The mood over country during the weekend has been pretty sombre.

Kind of difficult to say anything that will be meaningful right now.

We are thankful to the countries who have extended a helping hand in the search operations.

One of my modelling buds saw a USN P-3C on approach to Subang airbase yesterday in the early evening.

Understand that the RAAF are sending two P-3C's to assist too.

The tickets for the two pax with the stolen passports were purchased by an Iranian national. This gets more bizarre by the hour.

They also have fingerprints of everyone who boarded. And they have a facial identification of at least one of those who boarded with the stolen passport.

The entire incident is bizarre.

The mood over country during the weekend has been pretty sombre.

Kind of difficult to say anything that will be meaningful right now.

We are thankful to the countries who have extended a helping hand in the search operations.

One of my modelling buds saw a USN P-3C on approach to Subang airbase yesterday in the early evening.

Understand that the RAAF are sending two P-3C's to assist too.

A P-3K2 from the RNZAF is also on the way.

The tickets for the two pax with the stolen passports were purchased by an Iranian national. This gets more bizarre by the hour.

Officials are now saying they don't think the two stolen passport users (who were both Iranian) had any terrorism links - indeed, the mother of one of them was expecting him to arrive in Germany. Looks like these two were just illegal immigrants traveling on stolen passports, although that doesn't really make things any better. Apparently it's more widespread than you'd like to imagine, there was a crash in India a couple of years back where as many as ten of the pax were traveling on stolen passports!

So you can't get on an aircraft with more than 100ml of liquid, but you can get on with a stolen passport...

Vince

So you can't get on an aircraft with more than 100ml of liquid, but you can get on with a stolen passport...

Vince

Yeah, what a kick in the fool of every honest passenger! Hmm...sure that story sounds logic as Italy and Austria are members of Schengen Area the owner of such a passport con move there freely and without going through the - often difficult and full of buerocacy- procedure to get a Visa for Schengen area. Especially you do not have a very full bank account or an official invitation from an EU citizen. In the End such guys pay a certain price for an EU passport and that's it! But just left the risk to get caught when arriving in the EU airport when your passport is checked at the police control there. When a passport is reported as stolen I think (and I am not sure!) that the passport number is on a "black list". In the end such guys don't have terrorism in their mind even they use not legal ways to enter Schengen area (where e.g. their relatives are living or what ever).

Yeah, what a kick in the fool of every honest passenger! Hmm...sure that story sounds logic as Italy and Austria are members of Schengen Area the owner of such a passport con move there freely and without going through the - often difficult and full of buerocacy- procedure to get a Visa for Schengen area. Especially you do not have a very full bank account or an official invitation from an EU citizen. In the End such guys pay a certain price for an EU passport and that's it! But just left the risk to get caught when arriving in the EU airport when your passport is checked at the police control there. When a passport is reported as stolen I think (and I am not sure!) that the passport number is on a "black list". In the end such guys don't have terrorism in their mind even they use not legal ways to enter Schengen area (where e.g. their relatives are living or what ever).

The problem seems to be that, although Interpol have a database with details of all reported stolen, lost and cancelled passports, it's up to individual countries as to whether checking against that database forms part of their screening procedures. The fact that a country as prosperous as Malaysia apparently doesn't bother to check against the Interpol database is extremely worrying.

Vince

Vince

Yeah, makes perfectly logical sense doesn't it....

It seems in many ways that we've taken one step forward and two steps back in the last 13 or so years when it comes to air travel. * sigh*

Don.

The latest news report that the airplane was probably flying in the opposite direction - towards the northern part of the Strait of Malacca.

Everything sounds weird to me, especially if you take under consideration the fact that the Boeing 777 has one of the best safety records and that it is relatively new.

The latest news report that the airplane was probably flying in the opposite direction - towards the northern part of the Strait of Malacca.

Everything sounds weird to me, especially if you take under consideration the fact that the Boeing 777 has one of the best safety records and that it is relatively new.

This is just as weird, beginning from 2:49 http://coffeeticks.tv/?p=52 appearance and disappearance off the coast of Hainan island, China. That puts it way off the Gulf of Thailand where all the aerial and surface search assets are concentrated in right now.

Yeah, more reports are coming up that seem to confirm this. Supposedly it was tracked by military radar 100's of km away from where it lost contact, flying at low altitude.

If these reports are officially confirmed, hijacking or something intentional by one of the pilots seems to be the only explanation.

Absolutely bizarre....

I'm waiting for the UFO / conspiracy wacko's to start blogging about this.