Revell 1/144 LC-39 Launch Complex and Space Shuttle

Does anyone have any pics of the FSS stairs and a few pics of the crew level? I'm mainly looking to re-create the yellow markings on the crew level leading to the OAA and the Emergency Egress system. Any help and pics/links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Tyler

Hello John,

nice pics! :coolio:

On the image with the huge Revell kit you look very excited and one can see your anticipation, have you already started the build? :woot.gif:

How do you want to build the Launch tower, OOB or also with some scratch building? :dontknow:

:wave:

If you look in the German Raumcon thread, the link I've sent you some days before, you will find a nice pic of Level 215, where you can see the stair construction. :coolio:

The other level with the yellow markings is Level 195, which you can see in John's pic. :thumbsup:

Edited by spaceman

Hi Manfred,

Thanks very much. The kit was being sold second hand and I picked it up for a bargain. The photo with me and the box was done as a bit of humour, but yes, I was very happy to get the kit.

I don't model very often, and I am certainly not in the same league as some of the fine modellers I have seen on these forums, but even so, I hope to do a good job with this kit. I have been quite inspired by some of the amazing work I have seen here, not the least of which is your amazing STS-6 build and what you have been doing with the MLP. So, even though I won't be up to the standards of the best here, I hope to do better than what is offered just out of the box.

I have started on the shuttle stack, and am nearing completion of the ET and SRBs. Then the orbiter and by then I hope to be up to the challenge of the rest. All of which is why I am looking forward to seeing Tyler's build progress.

Thanks again spaceman. I remember seeing it but I just couldn't remember where I had seen it.

As far as my build I've got a lot done in my standards. I would've had pics posted up but our internet is down at the moment but I'll try to get them up as soon as possible. I might try to upload more pics from my phone and post everything that I've done so far.

I've constructed three of the main trusses of the FSS along with the elevator core. I have level one along with its staircase leading to level two build with level 2 glued in place. I've opted to build it by sliding the levels down along the elevator core so I can build the staircase without messing them up.

Thanks for the information.

-Tyler

Hi Manfred,

Thanks very much. The kit was being sold second hand and I picked it up for a bargain. The photo with me and the box was done as a bit of humour, but yes, I was very happy to get the kit.

I don't model very often, and I am certainly not in the same league as some of the fine modellers I have seen on these forums, but even so, I hope to do a good job with this kit. I have been quite inspired by some of the amazing work I have seen here, not the least of which is your amazing STS-6 build and what you have been doing with the MLP. So, even though I won't be up to the standards of the best here, I hope to do better than what is offered just out of the box.

I have started on the shuttle stack, and am nearing completion of the ET and SRBs. Then the orbiter and by then I hope to be up to the challenge of the rest. All of which is why I am looking forward to seeing Tyler's build progress.

Hi John you lucky guy,

then I have interpreted your face properly, and thanks for your nice words. :worship:

The main thing is, everyone has fun with his build and keeps up building until the end. :thumbsup:

But I am also pleased again and again to see other projects and can learn a bit, regardless of whether OOB or just Modeling madness like scratch building as with other friends here. :woot.gif:

Do you also have a separate thread, which we can follow, then let's see action. :coolio:

Hi Tyler,

congratulation for your first steps with the tower and the stairs, you are running like Usain Bolt. :woot.gif:

As I can see, you got the Revell kit 4910 and one of Revell shuttle stacks, come on! :thumbsup:

Take your time, the better it is. :coolio:

Here is a Panorama view with Street View Google maps, where you can choose Level 195 and see the yellow markings around the elevator shaft.

I look up to everyone on this forum. The models being built are out of passion and the best of someone's ability. I'm no rivet counter but as long have as it looks like what its suppose to them I'm usually more than happy. This tower kit is the first time I scratch build something and it's a lot of fun letting my imagination run wild. I know it's just adding a staircase but I know before I finish I'll end up adding something. Actually I will be adding the two vents on the beanie cap as the kit doesn't have them.

-Tyler

Hi Tyler,

congratulation for your first steps with the tower and the stairs, you are running like Usain Bolt. :woot.gif:/>/>

As I can see, you got the Revell kit 4910 and one of Revell shuttle stacks, come on! :thumbsup:/>/>

Take your time, the better it is. :coolio:/>/>

Here is a Panorama view with Street View Google maps, where you can choose Level 195 and see the yellow markings around the elevator shaft.

:wave:/>/>

Yes. The kit was secondhand so I ordered the Revell stack. I had an Airfix kit in the past and I didn't like the way the bottom was split horizontally as the Revell kit is split vertically. I pieced the SRB's, ET, and Shuttle; and might I sat that I have a lot of work to do on the orbiter. I just ordered some styrene strips to do the ET and SRB's like mike did in his build. I also ordered the handrails and grated platform for the MLP.

I'm hoping to be done with the tower by mid evening tomorrow. It's not much work adding the stair cases.

Thanks for the street view of level 195. I didn't know that even exist. That's awesome. How do you get on the tower though. I can only roam around the MLP.

-Tyler

Edited by T.Moore1521

Just a quick note, all the stairs have handrails on both sides, but what you probably know. :coolio:

BTW, my tower is still waiting for me and sleeping peacefully in the box, first I want to finish the MLP with lighting. gut.gif

I made a lot of progress yesterday on the tower. I finished up the tower and I'm starting on the RSS right now. I'm at work while writing this so hopefully I can post some pics on break if I can from my phone.

After deliberating about adding lights or not I've decided that I will. I have no clue on how to do that so anyone could point me into that direction I'd greatly appreciate it. Spaceman I know you're lighting your MLP; but how are you doing it(fiber optics, led's, etc...)? What all do I need and what are the steps to do it. Im a newbie at lighting stuff.

Thanks

-Tyler

Hello Tyler,

nice idea, to think about lighting gut.gif and therefore this image has fascinated me for some time and no longer let go me ...

up031630.jpg

Source: NASA

But this is a difficult chapter and was absolutely new territory for me, when I started last Christmas to deal myself with it. For this flip again a few pages back in my thread to pp. 37, from there you can follow my first steps. And you also have to deal with the matter and try out a few things like me. :coolio:

Then you can also look at the video and slowly begin to learn something about LEDs ... :rolleyes:

But first of all you may want to consider what you want to illuminate, the whole Launch pad, the Tower or just spotlights around? :dontknow:

If I have understood you correctly, you have the Tower nearly done, right?

With the lighting you need to already start during the construction, afterwards everything is much more difficult, if not impossible, as I now see it on my MLP. :woot.gif: Therefore, again think about what do you want and make a plan.

I use the smallest LEDs that are out there, no optical fibers, because you can not bend as good. :thumbsup:

First, you need only a few LEDs, a couple of resistors (for each LED a resistor) and a battery and then you can start with first tests to see the first LED light. You have to develop a feeling little by little, and only then specific questions will arise ...

Keep cool buddy, you can not rush into anything. gut.gif

Hello Tyler,

nice idea, to think about lighting gut.gif and therefore this image has fascinated me for some time and no longer let go me ...

up031630.jpg

But this is a difficult chapter and was absolutely new territory for me, when I started last Christmas to deal myself with it. For this flip again a few pages back in my thread to pp. 37, from there you can follow my first steps. And you also have to deal with the matter and try out a few things like me. :coolio:/>

Then you can also look at the video and slowly begin to learn something about LEDs ... :rolleyes:/>

But first of all you may want to consider what you want to illuminate, the whole Launch pad, the Tower or just spotlights around? :dontknow:/>

If I have understood you correctly, you have the Tower nearly done, right?

With the lighting you need to already start during the construction, afterwards everything is much more difficult, if not impossible, as I now see it on my MLP. :woot.gif:/> Therefore, again think about what do you want and make a plan.

I use the smallest LEDs that are out there, no optical fibers, because you can not bend as good. :thumbsup:/>

First, you need only a few LEDs, a couple of resistors (for each LED a resistor) and a battery and then you can start with first tests to see the first LED light. You have to develop a feeling little by little, and only then specific questions will arise ...

Keep cool buddy, you can not rush into anything. gut.gif

:wave:/>

Yes the tower FSS is complete. I was thinking about doing just the spot lights around it illuminating the whole model but then I thought about lighting everything(FSS, RSS, and the floodlights around it). I'll get some led's and play with them. Once I know what I'm doing I'll try to fit them in the int FSS and RSS and if I can't put them in then I'll just do the lights around the complex.

Thanks

-Tyler

Are you trying to reproduce a particular shuttle mission STS-?, or plays no role for you. :rolleyes:

The lighting of the FSS tower was at the beginning of the shuttle program the same as with the Apollo missions, since the LUTs were mostly used for the two shuttle launch towers on Pad 39A and 39B. Later, the towers were reconstructed and the elevator shafts completely covered, while the lighting was changed. So there are significant differences. :coolio:

Okay, the last mission of Atlantis STS-135 is a good choice. :thumbsup:

The lighting of the tower is then slightly easier than for my STS-6 mission. :coolio:

Then you need on each level only 4 lamps at the corners of the elevator shaft, as you can see in this picture.

up027252.jpg

BTW, And from the STS-135 there are the most great close-up pictures where you can see every detail, for the scratch building almost ideal. :rolleyes:

Edited by spaceman

Okay, the last mission of Atlantis STS-135 is a good choice. :thumbsup:/>

The lighting of the tower is then slightly easier than for my STS-6 mission. :coolio:/>

Then you need on each level only 4 lamps at the corners of the elevator shaft, as you can see in this picture.

up027252.jpg

BTW, And from the STS-135 there are the most great close-up pictures where you can see every detail, for the scratch building almost ideal. :rolleyes:/>

:wave:/>

The pics I have are amazing. They also have close ups of the OAA and the ET arm.

I didn't check my messenger before writing this but I've sent you a pm regarding the led's but if you replied already disregard this sentence lol.

I did make a mistake in building the tower but it should be a relatively easy fix. I built the hammerhead crane as per the instructions but in reality the crane isn't part of the FSS anymore. The instructions tell you not to glue it to the FSS so I didn't. Now I just need a few pics of the top so I can scratch build it correctly.

After being away from my computer all week I've finally had time to post some pics of the progress made; so here they are:

20140316_124607_zpsolsyetpt.jpg

I took the astronaut from Revell's kit and painted him so I can place him on the OAA.

The OAA and Level 195 platform with the yellow and black markings

20140316_143650_zpszunvp6qm.jpg

Levels 1-8 are built. Only 3 more left.

20140316_162414_zpsiwgkzkij.jpg

The FSS fully built with the OAA, ET Access Arm, and the other access platform which I don't know the name of. :tumble:/>

The hammerhead crane crane that I built wrong. For STS-135 and other launches, the crane isn't there. I'll be fixing this shortly after completing the RSS. Luckily I didn't glue it to the structure as the instructions says not to.

20140317_022115_zpsjrkwuvq0.jpg

A closer look at the FSS

20140317_022125_zpsfkckqtgt.jpg

Made a start on the RSS Payload Bay Access

20140317_045051_zpshmjmuthk.jpg

The FSS with the soon to be Atlantis STS-135

20140317_050653_zps9jqcqyxy.jpg

I just started to work on this project again today so more pics will be uploaded within the week.

Stay tuned and thanks for looking.

-Tyler

Nice work Tyler!

The staircases on the inside of the FSS look great!

Mike.

Thanks Mike.

It was a lot of work but I managed to do it. I finished up on the RSS and attached it to the FSS. I also received my order from the tichey train group and towerhobbies for the open grated platform and the evergreen rods and vgroove sheet you used in your build.

There's a few things that I need to glue on the RSS for it to be fully complete but for the most part is all finished. This weekend coming I'll be starting on my STS-135 build that will sit on the launch pad. I'll be posting pics soon of it completed.

Thanks

-Tyler

I can't wait till the next update! The MLP that comes with the kit is under scale but with some work it can really look nice. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t