Powder Puff 30 F-14A

Thanks!

With the nicer weather arriving the car bug hit and I've been working on my Mustang, but cold and rain forced me indoors yesterday. Here is where I stand now.

P4150001_zpsb3fcb5df.jpg

I have tried liquid super glue, gel super glue, Ambois, Plastruct Bondene and even some old Testors liquid that I have a small amount of left. The fuselage still separates over time while just handleing the kit and I'm not moving the wings.

. P4150002_zps6e2d4e99.jpg

I started to think about what I can do and I think I'm going to paint most of the plane and then glue. Then I will sand and paint that PITA seam just forward the wings and hope it doesn't separate while applying decals, clear and some weathering. I could always just hit it with something hot to melt the halves together and putty over but that seems extreme.

Sprayed a little XTRACOLOR Pale roundel Blue over the MM Duck Egg Blue this morning.

P4190002_zps44c50d09.jpg

Will paint more of the fuselage after the paint cures and I fix the fuselage seam that keeps opening up. Hopefully after this I will not have to move the wings again.

P4210001_zps787932ce.jpg

Edited by Spectre711
  • 4 weeks later...

Between the nicer wheather, doing yard work, working on my Mustang and fixing my truck this is where I am now. I still have a month and a half but I hope I finish in time.

P5100003_zps5b3f8c0f.jpg

Got to finish the Blue soon!

Edited by Spectre711
  • 3 weeks later...

And here are some of the puff pictures. The flashed washed out things but the decals are on and I'm about to give it a clear coat. I'm going to have to mix up a gray wash for this one I think.

I might go on the lighter gray side and see how that goes.

P5310001_zps4f407a7b.jpg

P6010002_zps87d2d6ed.jpg

P6010003_zps6f44a454.jpg

Hi Spectre711,

Your Tomcat is coming along nicely though, I do have a question.

Why did you choose to use the X-39 (Pale roundel Blue BS172) from Xtracolor instead of the MM2131 (FS-35450) that Fightertown suggests?

Somewhere here on arc I was asking about suggestions for FS-35450. Some people had a Tamiya formula but someone suggested the X-39 and said it actually scales well for 35450 in 1/72. The XtraColor paints are wonderful to work with and the Pale Roundel Blue BS172 is a very close match to the color of the decals.

Somewhere here on arc I was asking about suggestions for FS-35450. Some people had a Tamiya formula but someone suggested the X-39 and said it actually scales well for 35450 in 1/72. The XtraColor paints are wonderful to work with and the Pale Roundel Blue BS172 is a very close match to the color of the decals.

Hmmm, I'm wondering if this is also true for the 1/48??? :hmmm:

Found the post.

Click Here!

You might want to PM scotthldr and see what he has to say.

I will try to get a better picture of the decal color match to the XtraColor. I got my XtraColor from Roll Models but out of the 10 or so paints I wanted I only got 2. They told me that they were having trouble getting XtraColor and were only filling orders from what they had in stock. No back orders since they didn't know if they were ever going to get restocked.

So I can see why Hasegawa re-engineered things with their F-14A. Any hints how to get the wings to fit better in the fuselage of the old F-14? Make the openings larger or sand down the wings? I pre-painted the wings and coated them and the inside of the fuselage with future but the paint is still scraping off.

I have tried liquid super glue, gel super glue, Ambois, Plastruct Bondene and even some old Testors liquid that I have a small amount of left. The fuselage still separates over time while just handleing the kit and I'm not moving the wings

I think you contaminated the seam with paint or future, this is making the bond not want to hold.

Also you should have test fitted the wing to fuselage and clearanced the fuselage, and don't forget to look at the pivot pins them selves.

I know it's not much help now that the a/c is almost complete,but for future reference (on any subject).

Curt

Well the future was applied with a brush and only on the horizontal surfaces inside the fuselage so I don't think that was it. I did dry fit and was real happy but now realized that I should have over exaggerated the clearances. When I applied the cement and achieved the typical squish of meted plastic I was in turn displacing the plastic causing the clearances to be less again. I will attack this a little differently on the next one.

So I'm wrapping things up and still have the tail hook to put on. What color do you think it should be? Did they leave them black and white or paint them like the rest of the fuselage or something else?

This one is the same color as the rest of the under side.

Edited by Spectre711