Hobby Craft A-4's

The Hobbycraft Scooters are on a level with the Monogram kit, albeit with recessed panel lines. Not as nice as Hasegawa but decent kits.

I've built the Adversary and found it to be a decent build. I have the Charlie in the stash, and will likely replace the main wheels with aftermarket ones if any are available, as I don't like the Hobbycraft/Monogrm versions. I think the hub is too small and the tire too big. They do come with weapons, which is nice.

The canopy is squashed when compared to the aircraft almost exactly like Monogram's is. It's pretty obvious once compared to a real A-4.

Does anyone know if the Squadron replacement fixes that issue?

TIA,

Daryl J.

I have read that there can be significant gaps around the aft cockpit bulkhead when installed as per the instructions. I seem to recall though that this will be pretty hard to see if the canopy is closed.

This is the first I've heard of the squashed canopy effect.

I'm not sure if the canopy is squashed, or if it's just that the windscreen and cockpit are too wide - just like on the Monogram kit.

With the canopy closed, I don't think they look too bad for a shelf-sitter. And the decals Hobbycraft put in the kits are first-rate for quality.

Edited by Joe Hegedus

One of my all time favourite aircraft is the Skyhawk so I started tow of the Hobbycraft kits when they came out. I had several of the Monogram kits and built a few of them. Even with the engraving on the Hobbycraft kit somehow I still prefer the Monogram kit. The HC kit does not seem to be as sharp in the mouldings as compared to the Monogram kit.

As mentioned, there is a significant gap in the bulkhead in the HC kit but will probably be hidden if you close the canopy. The rest of the kit fit pretty good.

Of course when Hasegawa released their Skyhawk, I put my HC partially built kits on the back burner. I may eventually finish them. What was really nice on the HC kit was that the nose wheel was separate as compared to the Hasegawa kit. Go figure.

The best thing about the HC Skyhawk kits is the weapon sets they contain. It sure looks like two different mould makers were responsible, one for the kit and one for the weapons.

Right now one of the local hobby shops is clearing out their HC kits and they have some A-4E Skyhawks. They have them at a buy one and get a second kit for 50% off. The A-4 kits are $19.99 CDN so may go buy some just for the weapons.

IMHO, they come in well behind the Hasegawa, Monogram and Hobbycraft kit. Decals (that bear little resemblance to the real thing) for IPs and consoles?!?! These came out after the monogram kit, so there's really no excuse. If you're buying one to save money, IMO you're better off getting the Monogram kit.

The Esci landing gear is superior to Monogram's or Hobbycraft's, and the fuselage shape is better around the cockpit but the wing-fuselage joint fits very poorly. Much trimming required to get the wings to sit flat, and a goodly amount of filler required on that join also. If one is willing to do the work to clean up the fit and, if desired, put an aftermarket cockpit in (not that big a deal as the kit is intended to be built closed-canopy and as such there's not much visibility past the seat) , the end result is not bad but it's a lot more effort to get there than buiding a Hasegawa kit. I wouldn't pay more than about $10-$15 for one, but I don't think they're as far behind Monogram or HC as Don apparently does.

That's what I thought about them but I went to King's Hobby Shop in Austin and spent probably 2 hours just looking at this giant consignment lot they had. I also ended up with a Monogram F-5E and F-104 both in 1/48 scale. I am really looking forward to putting all four of these together and making them look nice.

Frank

The Esci landing gear is superior to Monogram's or Hobbycraft's,

Joe thanks for that info. Never knew that. Our local hobby shop has the Italeri rebox of the A-4 but at $40 CDN I am not going to pick it up. I remember seeing this kit when it first came out and the biggest thing I remember is the decals for the IP and the strange looking seat. Mouldings were soft too. Never noticed the landing gear but now I should look out for it.