building the KH 1/48 F-101A/C Voodoo

No c/l pylon so i guess no shape to hang under the belly then.

Jari, this is a test shot so don't assume anything... simply ask. For the record, I don't know the answer. However, I did ask directly if it was a production shot and informed it wasn't so... there could be changes.

Regards,

The c/l pylon would be in way of lower anti collision light. I don't know if the A or C had a light there or not but the B did, plus the if you look by the burner cans there is an indentation where the data link antenna would be so it looks like a B is in the works.

Jari

The c/l pylon would be in way of lower anti collision light. I don't know if the A or C had a light there or not but the B did, plus the if you look by the burner cans there is an indentation where the data link antenna would be so it looks like a B is in the works.

Jari

It has the B intakes, which were swept back, while the single-seaters' were almost perpendicular to the air flow. I can't tell from the photos if they corrected the splitter plates from the B-types they had in the original CAD drawings. Those are also B main gear tires. Good luck getting the flat main gear doors to fit correctly over them. Looks like they've left indentions behind the main gear wells to add inserts for the bulges the B had to clear the wider tires. Also looks like it would be easy for them to produce a long-nose RF, too!

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

I can't tell from the photos if they corrected the splitter plates from the B-types they had in the original CAD drawings. Those are also B main gear tires. Good luck getting the flat main gear doors to fit correctly over them. Looks like they've left indentions behind the main gear wells to add inserts for the bulges the B had to clear the wider tires. Also looks like it would be easy for them to produce a long-nose RF, too!

Ben

From what I know of other KH kits and can read from comments in this thread, I would have no problems believeing that the photos are carefully chosen for that purpose:( If this kit isn't MrSonged, then I may actually buy my first KH kit.

Jens

I'll be picking up a couple as well, for a regular C and a RF-101H. Having done several Koster & C&H conversions, I imagine the KH kit will be almost just like building one of those, where you'll have to modify the B parts to look like those on the A/C, but without having go to the trouble of rescribing the entire model. If it's just the intakes & main gear tires, it won't be too big a problem. I do really wish KH, Trumpeter, et al. would stop it with all of the silly "features," such as separate control surfaces, open panels that are usually closed on the parked aircraft, and photo-etched instrument panels & consoles. All they do is unnecessarily add to the complexity of the kit and increase the number of fit problems that have to be addressed. (I'm ranting because I'm still trying to build a simple, clean, very-mildly-corrected A3D and none of this fancy **** fits! :bandhead2: )

Ben

This is another example of why I don't post my photos any more.

The top photo is mine. Somebody stripped off my name and probably posted it somewhere on the web.

As a modeler and photographer I really like trying to help, but I have seen this happen too many times. To me it is just plain dishonest to remove the credit from a photo and post it without permission. I know I am peeing into the wind. Apparently the internet is totally uncontrollable about this, but a lot of guys like me with personal photo files have stopped helping by posting photos. We all loose because of it.

This is another example of why I don't post my photos any more.

Norm, I agree wholeheartedly. Not only were a bunch of my photographs ripped off, the person even sold it to a publisher to use in a book! I do not blame the publisher but did ask that a note be placed on his web site:

http://www.militaria.net.pl/strony/303.html

Regards,

• 1 month later...

It has the B intakes, which were swept back, while the single-seaters' were almost perpendicular to the air flow. I can't tell from the photos if they corrected the splitter plates from the B-types they had in the original CAD drawings. Those are also B main gear tires. Good luck getting the flat main gear doors to fit correctly over them. Looks like they've left indentions behind the main gear wells to add inserts for the bulges the B had to clear the wider tires. Also looks like it would be easy for them to produce a long-nose RF, too!

Ben

I only want a B so I am happy to see that C parts won't be used on my B!

Bring on the CF-101B!!!

• 2 weeks later...
... replacements for those F-101B intakes.

Ben,

Do you have a photo/drawing showing the intake differences?

I'm really looking forward to the Voodoo, but moreso to the Cougars!!

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Ben,

Do you have a photo/drawing showing the intake differences?

I'm really looking forward to the Voodoo, but moreso to the Cougars!!

Gene K

I'll probably just pick up the single-seat F9F-8, since I've already built the Collect Aire Twogar. Looking at the F-101 sprues ( http://www.kittyhawkmodel.com/#!80115/c23ew ), it looks like the F-101 might turn out OK without having to add too much resin to correct it. You can see parts for the RF-101G/H and the B as well. I hope they'll do a long-nose RF, too.

I haven't found any decent F/RF-101A/C drawings that didn't have the F-101B intakes. The drawings in D&S and FAotW both seem to have B intakes.

The B's intakes swept back more than the single-seaters, it's splitter was shaped differently at the lower end, and the lower part of the intake where it met the splitter was more curved. Photos courtesy of Bill Spidle and Phil Juvet:

rf-101c_56-0214_30_of_52.jpg

F-101B_18_Intake.jpg

Note how the single-seater's intakes and splitter plates were almost perpendicular to the air flow:

F-101A_53-2418_underbelly.jpg?m=1293870207

54-1477.jpg

I haven't found any decent F/RF-101A/C drawings that didn't have the F-101B intakes.

That was part of my confusion (yes, a perpetual thing). Appreciate the photos and explanation - very clear.

Nice pick-up on the extra clear parts, and I, like you, am hoping for a long recce nose.

Gene K

I've always thought the RF-101G/H was pretty cool, with it's short nose and SEA camouflage. I was planning to convert the first KH kit I pick up to one. Looks like they're going to save me a lot of work!

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I don't see anything that isn't fixable. F-101B main gear tires can be cut down to the narrow single-seater type and the slime lights can be sanded off, . The biggest problem will be fixing the intakes. Also, the ailerons didn't droop like an F-4's did. They should be in the neutral position.

Ben