which is better f-14

Having done both I'm more partial to the "A", as the parts on it are very nice OOB. The "D" on the other hand has some OOOPS in the box, for one the pylon/LANTIRN setup is not very good at all; which gave D-Rob cause to create a correct one for the kit. There are other goofs which escape me at the moment I'm sure others will chime in and give you the whole 9 yds on the rights and wrongs.

Also having done several 'A's, I bought a 'D' recently and was disappointed.

The the parts looked like they used, literally, beyond-worn-out molds. Very sloppy detailing and lots of flash compared to the 'A's I've owned.

I believe the 'A' kit has the parts to make the 'D'. Both the 'D' chin senor pod and exhaust cans And vise-versa.

out of the two revell tomcats the A or D which one looks more like a tomcat and is a decent build. I know there not the best out there. funds are short. Building it for my buddy.

sorry if this is a repost

I think this is a tough question to answer actually. They both look like Tomcats when done well. Maybe your question is on accuracy to the A & D models?

Revell (actually Monogram) originally tooled this kit as an A back in the day. Tooling modifications and extra parts have been made over time to allow for a D boxed version. The D isn't 100% accurate mind you but there are some fairly simple upgrades and Steel Beach accessories (a bargain IMHO) to bring either the A or D up to snuff.

The Revell A & D kits are EXACTLY the same kits and come from the same molds.

However, if you bought any of the kits that were molded back in the 90's, the quaility of the kit plastic was better and detail was a bit sharper.

Even the newer releases of Revell's F-14B and D kits with all the bombcat updates are the same kit with some newer parts.

To improve accuracy of the kit, Steel Beach makes some nice update sets for a reasonable cost.

my question to you is which marking are you going to do? but both kits are a f-14. and like every body said on hear you can add things to the kit that will make it look great if you have any problems building it let me know i know some tricks to that kit

Another vote to pick up an early Monogram-boxed "A". Just plan to throw away the kit decals and get some aftermarket decals for whatever markings you want to do.

I'd also suggest checking out the articles in FineScale Modeler that Darren Roberts has done with this kit. He's "the man" as far as this kit is concerned.

Good luck.

Mark

The Revell A & D kits are EXACTLY the same kits and come from the same molds.

However, if you bought any of the kits that were molded back in the 90's, the quaility of the kit plastic was better and detail was a bit sharper.

Even the newer releases of Revell's F-14B and D kits with all the bombcat updates are the same kit with some newer parts.

To improve accuracy of the kit, Steel Beach makes some nice update sets for a reasonable cost.

quoted for truth!

When they changed plastics in the 1990s, things went to hell. The detail got a lot softer and the plastic was a *little* less brittle, which makes sanding a pain in the posterior.

No kidding..I hated that new plastic they're using. The last revell F-14D I bought was the original box produced in 1993. Got the kit for $5 and if I ever come out of model building retirement, I'll build it up as a VF-101 F-14D.

No kidding..I hated that new plastic they're using. The last revell F-14D I bought was the original box produced in 1993. Got the kit for $5 and if I ever come out of model building retirement, I'll build it up as a VF-101 F-14D.

Try as you may Brian, your going to get the uncontrollable urge to build again one day...

Try as you may Brian, your going to get the uncontrollable urge to build again one day...

I keep hearing that, but I have no passion for this hobby any more.

Hell, I barely care enough to answer F-14 or Jolly Rogers questions any more...I just don't have it in me to give a rip.

But, I hang around cause I like to see stuff people are working on..ironic I know, but I've given up. I have a stack of half built kits sitting in my old hobby room, some that were started 5-6 years ago that will never get finished..still haven't figured out why I hold on to them.

Sorry to have rambled on.

Edited by VFA-103guy

I keep hearing that, but I have no passion for this hobby any more.

Hell, I barely care enough to answer F-14 or Jolly Rogers questions any more...I just don't have it in me to give a rip.

But, I hang around cause I like to see stuff people are working on..ironic I know, but I've given up. I have a stack of half built kits sitting in my old hobby room, some that were started 5-6 years ago that will never get finished..still haven't figured out why I hold on to them.

Sorry to have rambled on.

For what its worth, you half builts can have a home here if you get tired of looking at them