V Shaped Windscreen

I think that's the only one there has ever been.

The real thing was simply two pieces of flat glass held in place by some sheet metal and screws. The flat armored windscreen was still there underneath it.

Thanks for the info Jennings.

Funny that this subject came up. I was just speaking with one of the guys at our club meeting this week about this very subject. We actually have a Sabre in our aviation museum here with that windscreen on it. I should go drop in and see if I can take some measurements or at least get some decent photos.

I have wanted to build a 1/48 CAF Sabre Mk.2 with 414 Sqn markings and the only hold up is the windscreen. Missed the CE set so have to come up with some other option.

Converting Fujimi F-86F to an F-86A over on Finescale (you'll need to log in)

Paul made the windscreen by folding acetate & blending to the flat kit windshield.

Amazon has the Lindberg f-86A on for 13.00, even for just the canopy a lot less than a CE parts kit !

I think that's the only one there has ever been.

The real thing was simply two pieces of flat glass held in place by some sheet metal and screws. The flat armored windscreen was still there underneath it.

The early Vee shaped windscreen also had different shaped side panels as to the later flat windshield. But in the grand scheme of converting with clear sheet, I ignored that. The CE piece is the only game in town in 1/48 and rarer than hen's teeth.

There is a really poor version in the Lindberg kit, so poor it's not really worth mentioning.

July 2000 is the FineScale mag with Paul Boyer's article on doing a 1/72 F86A conversion. It would work in 1/48 too.

Cheers, Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

Hi Ugur,

It would not be too difficult to scratch a master and vacuform or heat smash the part to add over the kit center panel. Here are some photos that might help:

SMG_7482_zpsa93cd45e.jpgSMG_7470_zps61ec2bad.jpg

SMG_7471_zpsc083a9c8.jpgSMG_7474_zps3952dde2.jpg

SMG_7475_zpsf0f0eb85.jpgSMG_7481_zpsa6325e96.jpg

The quarter panels you could just mask off and paint to match the photos.

HTH,

Tom

I can't find a very good photo to illustrate, but the metal area that fairs the windscreen into the fuselage will need a little reshaping to go from the flat windscreen to the V-shaped one, too. And, I've built the Cutting Edge conversion, and I didn't think their windscreen was all that great. It was better than Lindberg's, but not by much.

Ben

Photo found on Google image search:

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Ben Brown