Anyone know about driveway/garage repair?

Hi All,

Im getting a new car and actually want to keep it in the garage. Only problem is that my current car (2002 Camaro) always scrapes on the way into and out of the garage. The issue is that is seems like the garage has sank a bit since it was built. Heres a a picture:eJCGRF0.jpg

Its not too visible but the side walk is higher than the entrance to the garage so when going from the street to the garage the sidewalk acts as a "hump" for lack of a better description. So Im not really sure what my options are...Does the garage need to be jacked up and a new entrance/garage slab poured? I think what I would like to do is move the garage back as far as it can go and have a longer driveway leading up to the entrance of the garage so I can tandem park two cars. Im sure that would be pretty expensive though. MY second question is what kind of contractor do I get to come out and look at this? Concrete guys? Im not sure if they would be able to comment on moving the garage and then pouring a new driveway.

Those sound like expensive options to me. I don't think you can get just anyone to do that kind of work. What are the city by laws involved? What kind of car are you getting? Maybe something with better clearance would be cheaper in the long run. Sorry for not really answering your question. These are just my observations and hopefully someone will have an answer.

Good luck

Paul

Those sound like expensive options to me. I don't think you can get just anyone to do that kind of work. What are the city by laws involved? What kind of car are you getting? Maybe something with better clearance would be cheaper in the long run. Sorry for not really answering your question. These are just my observations and hopefully someone will have an answer.

Good luck

Paul

Hi,

CTS-V, I actually think its clearance is better than my camaro.

I have lots of street parking so it doesnt matter that much, I'd much rather park in the street than have the garage dictate what types of car and then I would have this be a longer term project. Im sorta just wondering if a repoured entrance will get it done for now. I guess for that I could just go to a concrete contractor and see what they think. And the reason I was thinking of moving the garage is I think there could be some newer laws that might take effect if I tear the garage down. I guess I could check with some construction contractors on that.

Edited by camaroz06

Remember as a kid (about 1965) our garage was way in the backyard and my Dad moved it forward so that the front was even with the back of the house. Poured a new pad directly in front, jacked up the garage and rolled it forward the length of the garage and fastened it to the new pad. Put up a privacy fence on the property line side of the old pad and used it as a patio. Sounds like you could do the reverse, the problem being pouring a new pad behind your garage (just more awkward than in front)and whether your garage is in good enough shape to be rolled on some pipe or such to the new spot. I remember he did most himself except to get some buddies to actually push it. It would give you an area to park in front if there is room and a chance to re-slope the front area after the move. Just a thought.

Cheers

Bruce

P.S. My Dad was a lawyer but did have some construction experience during summers, while going to school but was not a contractor or anything.

Edited by RCAFFAN

Call a concrete contractor, they can re-pour the ramp and change the angle so you don't bottom out at the top, and possibly a gentler angle at the bottom.

Contact your city hall building department to see what you can do with expanding the garage, I'm sure that the only restrictions will be its proximity to other structures.

Curt

I think a repour of the driveway at a slightly different angle will do the job, also in the UK you can lower the height of the pavement(sidewalk)to allow access to driveways as long as you have local authority permission, and you pay for it.

As others have said, speak with a good concrete GC (general contractor) and get his opinion. I doubt you will be able to make any changes to the sidewalk, usually that is a no-go. However, nothing wrong with checking in with town's engineering dept to see if that would be an option.

Only issue is that I would think you would still have some flooding issues from rain runoff going down the slope (unless your GC can add a small angle at the garage door to channel off the water.

If your garage is "sinking" I would think you would have noticed other issues such as cracks, stuck doors, etc. If so, is it really worth investing any $ into something like this?

If your garage is "sinking" I would think you would have noticed other issues such as cracks, stuck doors, etc. If so, is it really worth investing any $ into something like this?

We've actually only been in the house for a year or so. ACtually now that you mention it I havent see any cracks at all in the concrete slab. Maybe its always been this low compared to the sidewalk.

Call a concrete contractor, they can re-pour the ramp and change the angle so you don't bottom out at the top, and possibly a gentler angle at the bottom.

Contact your city hall building department to see what you can do with expanding the garage, I'm sure that the only restrictions will be its proximity to other structures.

Curt

Agree with this^