CD48060 & CD48061 - Air National Guard F-106A/B

• 1 month later...

I got my Trumpeter F-106A kit today. I will post my (so far very positive) impressions in the Jet Modelling forum later tonight; but in case any one of you had any concerns, my decals fit the Trumpeter kit perfectly. The tail shapes of the Trumpeter and Monogram kits are almost identical and match published drawings very well.

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...

The first sheet (CD48060) has been released last month, it's available at my Web site and everywhere else that carries my products.

http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd48060.html

The second sheet (CD48061) will be out in November. Are you a member of mailing list? It's very easy to enroll through the simple form on my Web site, I never send any spam, and you will be informed about all of my new releases on the first day they are available.

Edited by KursadA

I am about to send the second sheet to be printed - but I have doubts about the colors used in California's "golden bear" on the tail of CA ANG F-106s.

Was the golden bear really "golden", i.e. was it painted in a metallic color? All the color photos I have seen show what looks like a light brown, and I can not see signs of a metallic sheen. I don't have any good period photos that show the color clearly.

I would appreciate comments from anyone who had seen the aircraft in California ANG service (and not a museum restoration) or have access to better photographs.

194th_Fighter-Interceptor_Squadron_-_Convair_F-106A-135-CO_Delta_Dart_59-0136.jpg

Edited by KursadA
I am about to send the second sheet to be printed - but I have doubts about the colors used in California's "golden bear" on the tail of CA ANG F-106s.

Do you know the time period during which this scheme was flown? (years)

Do you know the time period during which this scheme was flown? (years)

California ANG flew the F-106 between 1974 and 1984 according to Wikipedia. Several sources say that this scheme was the older one, having been replaced with a simple blue band in the tail. I have photos of aircraft have been painted in this scheme officially as early as 1977. The new scheme starts appearing around 1982. But an aircraft wearing this scheme was among the exhibits at NAS Lemoore Open House in 1983 - which leads me to believe that this was used on some CA ANG aircraft until the very end of their service in Fresno. Let's say 1977-1983 to be on the safe side.

Edited by KursadA

Two references on the California State Flag call out two shades of brown - not gold. I would think the 194th used the official state guidelines in designing their tail art.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_California#Colors

See p.4 of this document:

http://www.bearflagmuseum.org/California%20State%20Flag%20Specifications%201953%201954%201959.PDF

The following images are scans from the Sep 1980 issue of Koku Fan.

hM3af76.jpg

There are also several B&W images, based on sun angles and sun glint off the gloss grey fuselage I would say the bear logo was non-metallic when comparing the lighting conditions.

A profile drawing has text but I don't read Japanese, so I don't know if it mentions color.

a18dI44.jpg

A closeup crop of the bear:

sqXVEcf.jpg

The only reference I can find to a "golden" bear is in Bert Kinsey's Colors & Markings vol 1, even then the color photo in that book looks brown to me.

Thanks, folks - I received many high-resolution photos via e-mail from several of you, plus verbal confirmation that there was no metallic sheen to the brown color. I chose appropriate brown tones and will send the sheet to be printed after final dimensional verification tomorrow.

California ANG flew the F-106 between 1974 and 1984 according to Wikipedia. Several sources say that this scheme was the older one, having been replaced with a simple blue band in the tail. I have photos of aircraft have been painted in this scheme officially as early as 1977. The new scheme starts appearing around 1982. But an aircraft wearing this scheme was among the exhibits at NAS Lemoore Open House in 1983 - which leads me to believe that this was used on some CA ANG aircraft until the very end of their service in Fresno. Let's say 1977-1983 to be on the safe side.

According to Bert Kinzey's book Colors and Markings of the F-106 Delta Dart, the F-106s of the 194th still had the golden bear markings squadron-wide as of 1981, but the Delta Darts that attended William Tell in 1982 all had the blue stripe tail. I would think that aircraft that you saw in 1983 hadn't been through the paint shed yet.

According to Bert Kinzey's book Colors and Markings of the F-106 Delta Dart, the F-106s of the 194th still had the golden bear markings squadron-wide as of 1981, but the Delta Darts that attended William Tell in 1982 all had the blue stripe tail. I would think that aircraft that you saw in 1983 hadn't been through the paint shed yet.

That makes sense - most of the photos dated 1982 and afterwards seem to have the blue. I did not see the aircraft myself in 1983 - I was busy with second grade of elementary school and Lemoore was far away ;-). But this photo in Flicker was apparently taken at that show.

Edited by KursadA

After finishing the layout, this is what the final design looks like. Just like CD48060, there will be separate, smaller sheets for stencilling, national insignia and serial numbers (for both single and twin seaters from all three units)

cd48061.jpg

• 1 year later...

I already announced two 1/72 scale F-106 sheets (CD72043 and CD72048) for the Meng F-106 kit.

I already had a ton of F-106 artwork, so the designs for both of the sheets are complete and waiting for my Meng F-106 kit to arrive within a few days for final checks. The first one (CD72043) will be available for sale in February.

CD72043 & CD72048 thread

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 months later...

49 FIS is already done . The options on the third 48th sheet will be mostly common with the second 72nd scale sheet due in June; and the 49 FIS markings are one of these.

:worship:/>/>:thumbsup2:/>/>

Looks like I need to find another Monogram six.

Edited by Drifterdon
  • 1 month later...