Warhammer 40K Imperial Knight

Nicely done! You'll have to show us how you installed the LEDs. They turned out great!

Thanks for the comments...I appreciate it. I used a LED set from Powered Play Gaming, a new company which designs and manufactures stuff for gamers. Reps from Powered Gaming showed up at a local Warhammer tournament so I bought some of their prduct. On the Imperial Knight, I used the Powered Gaming alpha set, which contains 10 LED's , a connector board, and on/off switch. You will also need to get one of their 9V battery packs to power the set. I added to this setup by adding a second connector, battery and more LED's. The stuff worked great, but I had to shorten all of the wires, to make things fit...other than too much wire for the limited space, the parts are good. You can definitely make your own setup, if you are handy with a soldering iron.

http://poweredplay.net/

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice Marv ! You did an awesome job. I found it an great kit to build my only wish would be if GW had added an interior so that you could display it with the main hatch open.

Yours looks great with the LEDs.

Regards

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all for the very nice comments. These 40K kits are pretty nice, but expensive; each of the Imperial Knights retails for $104.49 at my LHS (HobbyTown), but a search may reveal a lower price somewhere.

I added the LED's just for fun. I have completed three of these kits, and have learned how to install LED's with homemade circuits. I used store-bought LED's on the first one, but these proved challenging due to limited space inside the kit to hide all the wiring. On the second two I used wrapping wire (much finer gauge) that I found at Radio Shack. Using wrapping wire (and wrapping wire tool), along with heat-shrink tubing, I was able to connect the LED's, and resistors, with minimal soldering. LED circuits are simple to do; the critical thing is to determine the size of the resistor. You will probably wind up using a 1/8 watt resistor, ranging in size from 100 ohms to 330 ohms, and it's very easy to determine what size is required, using a site like this:

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

All you do is plug in the values, and the site does the rest. I recommend using parallel circuits so if one set of LED's goes out, the rest stay lighted. LED's can be bought at Radio Shack in a little assortment pack that contains 3mm and 5mm LED's, with the values printed on the package (use these values on the resistor site above). I use 9volt square batteries to power the LED's, but just about any small battery will work.

I agree...GW's prices are at least double what they should be. Fortunately, I do not have to buy them, just build and paint them. I believe these kits should sell for $50 - 60 USD...and GW would still make a profit!

Hi Marv,

Sorry I'm late to the party as usual.

Very nice work on your model. The head piece that you chose reminds me of the ABC wrrior from Stallone's Judge Dredd.

How big is this model compared to a dreadnought?

Cheers.

Hi Marv,

Sorry I'm late to the party as usual.

Very nice work on your model. The head piece that you chose reminds me of the ABC wrrior from Stallone's Judge Dredd.

How big is this model compared to a dreadnought?

Cheers.

The Imperial Knight stands about 8" tall, so they are much larger than a Dreadnought. Here's a pic of some Dreadnoughts, along with some Rhinos:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/F111A/DSC03253_zpsb25e6a1b.jpg

DSC03253_zpsb25e6a1b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...